What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezing rain; pics

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
When I woke up today, I saw a white sheen on everything outside. When I got a closer look, it turned out to be ice.

These aren't the best pics, but some are pretty good.

Tree bending under weight:
bend.jpg

frozen1.jpg

frozen2.jpg

frozen3.jpg

-Ben

the last one looks like some kind of creepy Ice lizard... *creeeepy* (ON POST #2)

Hmm.. Looks pretty cold there!! BRRRRRR

Nice. We still haven't had the look of winter yet - not the slightest bit of snow on the ground or ice on the trees. Colder weather is slooowwwly arriving here too and we won't get above the 20s later this week. But that's average winter weather and I'm sure it'll seem unbearably cold when it arrives.

Thats nothing! Do you remember the Ice Storm of '98? That was a childhood memory to be frightened of!

Nepg- Tamlin sent me some pictures of an ice storm from up there.. Don't think that was '98 though. There is something pretty but frightening about that stuff.

I remember once our car was incased in ice and we couldn't open it lol. We didn't want to break the ice in case it scratched the car lol

Ice is beautiful, but it can be devastating. I remember eastern NY having a nasty ice storm in the late 1980s. My brother lived there by then and, when I visited a couple months later, lots of big trees looking like they had been through a shredder. I think the ice arrived before the trees dropped all their leaves and the extra weight ripped them apart. A couple years after I moved from Maine, an ice storm hit the state and some people were still without power a month later.

Thanks for shairing- but the ice storm of 98 in maine and 05 in sd was wayy worse. Those trees will bend right back up, dont you worry!

I love the heater flowers in ice pictures.

Thanks again!

I just moved here a few years ago, from NJ, so this was pretty amazing, even though it isn't the worst. Everything was closed though, even RIT, so my mom didn't have to teach today. (She was happy about that :D )

Thanks for the comments.

-Ben

Ben those pics are awesome! Looks like art :)

My friend goes to RIT, wonder if his courses have your mom as an instructor?

I'm not exactly sure but i know he was taking Mandarin, US gov/hist, some sci. courses, but that was last semester, no idea what he has now.

Ah, those pics remind me of the ice storm we had in Grand Rapids, MI in April '03. Snapped many a branch (even felled some grand trees), cut out the power for 4 days (indoor camping!). At least everything in my lowland tank survived the 50F in the dark, that's what counted at the time.
Great pics by the way, love the texture on the ice on some of those!

Cheers
Amaury

those look beautiful! even though a bunch of new growth and cells are probably dying.

Wow, I bet the roads are like ice rinks!

Looking forward to our first cold blast of the so far mild winter next weekend.

Ice storm

Great photos Ben. God bestows on the Northern States a winter blessing.

Gee, How I miss the ice and snow of winter...the sun glinting off of the downed, ice encrusted powerlines...putting on three layers of clothing...the joy of early morning snow shoveling in the bracing cold air...Putting on snow tires...taking off snow tires...cars that won't start...cars that slide into a ditch...outrageous heating bills...

I think I'll go to the beach for a cup of coffee and have a swim.

Back