What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice shots of sundews.

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I took my new camera out and took some practice pics with it. Remember these are just for practice. I still have a lot to learn about this camera.

These sundews are tiny D. brevifolia.

183053234O078026101.jpg

183053240O226786992.jpg

183053351O092385318.jpg

183053407O944185168.jpg

183053429O995768943.jpg

183053431O362522450.jpg

183056691O649000711.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wwwooowww uber macro/big pictures. I think with a little photoshopping you could make the pics look a little less fuzzy, btw what kind of camera is it?

Panasonic lumix fz50

Is the last picture a panoramic? On my old digital camera it had an option that once you took a picture one third of the little screen showed the last third of the previous pic so you could line it up and then it would merge them together in a program that came with the camera. The reason I ask is because the picture looks really tall, but it is a big picture anyway.

xvart.

I narrow the forums... and you go widen them back out... *shakes head* And why isn't this in the Drosera forum?

No it's not a panoramic pic.

And why isn't this in the Drosera forum?
This topic is not about sundews, you didn't see the pic of the tv tower?

It's about the camera not sundews.

I'm not the one to ask for the forums to be narrowed.

Well then, wrong topic title.... :offtopic: hahahaha

fuzziness can usually be corrected by using a tripod. This is especially important when taking close ups..
Hope that helps.
Peter.

For some reason EVERY time I tried to use a tripod I never got that greenlight and that "beep!" that tells me to take a pic.

Sony cybershots suck for macro's :(

For some reason EVERY time I tried to use a tripod I never got that greenlight and that "beep!" that tells me to take a pic.

Sony cybershots suck for macro's :(

This was a problem back in the 80s when the camera manufacturers starting using more and more plastic in the bodies of 35mm SLRs. If you tightened the tripod mount screw too much it would deform the bottom of the camera and cause shorts in the flex circuit boards/connectors. Try backing off the screw a tad.

Lol, I didn't even use a screw lol. The tripod is for an old camera and I just sat it on top lol. VERY carefully lol.

Oh well. I don't NEED macros.

well the problems with using a tripod for shots like the ones above is that how do you use a tripod when the subject is on the ground. I can not think of any way to get the camera in position to take those pics if it was attached to the tripod.

You need to get a tripod with either a reversible center column or one on with a mounting screw on the bottom of the center column. Or rest your camera on a small bean/sand bag. Or a small table top tripod.

As Not a Number, mentioned. You mount the camera underneath the tripod. Then you can mount/stabilize the camera as close to the subject as you wish before taking the shot.

These fuzzy shots do not appear to have been caused by too low a shutter speed, so a tripod wouldn't help in this case. You may have gotten too close, and was beyond the macro focusing ability of the camera. Make sure the camera is in macro mode, and if it can't focus correctly, move the camera back a little from the subject and try again.

I love the Sony cybershot cameras. I find they have insane macro focusing abilities. 2cm I believe.

I always took the pics from as close as possible that they would focus, then zoom in as far as possible without it getting blurry. I'd take the pic and pics always turn out HUGE on your computer, you can just cut out the plant and it usually looks pretty good.

Was I too close to the sundew? yes. The lens was almost touching the plants. I was trying to find the limits on the camera. Yes it was in macro mode. This camera has a feature that tells me if the image is in focus or not in focus. Most of the shots were taken after the camera indicated that it was in focus. The pics I posted are also severely cropped. I zoomed way in, and cut out everything but the plant.

I'm not a photographer, so I haven't started playing with the shutter speeds and all that. I really have very little understanding on those features.

I can resize the remaining pics I have and let you guys tell me what you think.

Sometimes if you take what you cropped and compact the picture a bit, it looks better.

droseratest.jpg

See? Looks a little better.

Also I'd move the camera away a bit and use zoom.

Last edited:
Hehe, I hate it when you take the pic while the camera says you're in focus, but then when you take the pic it goes back out of focus lol

Back