What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ahem... "Smallest Country" for Sale [news]

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date

Finch

Whats it to ya?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/01/070118-sealand.html

This is pretty funny

It's not every day you see a real estate listing advertising "the possibility to have your own country. … something exclusive to a very few lucky people."

The "country" in question, Sealand, is said to come with its own citizens, government, money, stamps, flag, national anthem, and other trappings of nationhood—all for about a billion U.S. dollars.

And you get to be royalty.

It may sound like a bargain, but it doesn't necessarily look like one.

The "Principality of Sealand" is a rusting 5,920-square-foot (500-square-meter) platform perched on two concrete pillars in the North Sea off eastern England. It's one of many so-called micro-nations—curious places where, if they actually exist, the chief export seems to be hyperbole.

The 'land'
070118-sealand_big.jpg

Sealand's Web site states: "The official language of Sealand is English and the Sealand Dollar has a fixed exchange rate of one U.S. dollar. Passports and stamps have been in circulation since 1969 and the latter decade of the 20th century saw an impressive expansion in its activity both socially and industrially as it began to develop a growing economic base which underscored its long-standing membership of the international community of States." http://www.sealandgov.org/

Nonwithstanding that they have no claim to statehood "whatsoever" :-D

Does anyone here beleive in micro-naton's? i cant say that i do. Seems rather silly, to me.

yea... we aren't merpeople here now are we?

We can also buy realistate on the moon and other planets lol. I think the net worth of Pluto is 250K (lol, price probably dropped now that it's not a real planet)

Didn't Tonga or some place like that take it over at one point? Interesting... did they have a right? I dunno.

This is one for an eccentric billionaire. Wait... if he only had a billion then he'd be the poorest president ever if he bought it lol.

Wonder if the citizens get a vote?

Wonder if the citizens get a vote?

There is a democratic vote, but there's been a scandal over this year's election - his dog can't figure out how to work the electronic voting machine.
~Joe

The printing of 5 inkjet paper $5 bills recently sent inflation through the roof :jester:

I hope The Pirate Bay can buy Sealand and be free of the RIAA/MPAA

xD That is AWESOME!

What would be even more interesting if someone built their own Island about the size of Hawaii that is simply held up by pillars similar to the ones in that picture. I think hurricanes might be a problem though. :p

I wonder if they're with us or against us.

Back