What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your First Carnivorous Plant?

I placed an order for 2 VFT one was a red and one was a green along with a N. gracilis from black jungle. I killed them a few months later. Then I decided to try again when Kirk came over to TheOrchidSource and wanted to trade. He lead me here and I learned everything I know and the rest is history.

Sorry it was not Clint it was Kirk. Sorry clint!

Last edited:
Wasn't me.

wow I remember it sooooo long ago when I was in first or second grade, on of my friends bought me a Venus fly trap and a Drosera capensis because I liked "weird" things.... they didn’t last long at all... maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but we did one thing right, we did put them outside in the sun!... Then we gave it fertilizer and tap water to make them grow big.... and I also fed it anything eatable.... so I guess they did well for there vile conditions...

It was much later, last year when I came across carnivores again! Well it was sort of a chain reaction! All started strangely enough by Animal Crossing Wild World! When you play that game if you town falls into disrepair (for not playing for a while) all kinds of weeds will grow including a giant rafflesiana flower! I knew you couldn’t really grow them outside there natural habitat so I decided to research them, then I didn’t know the name of the plant at the time so I looked up the world’s largest flower... I got to a website on Amorphophallus and instantly fell in love with them... I did as much research as I could on them but information is VERY scarce... even eBay sells are scarce so while I was on eBay I would look at plants that come up when I search for them and there was a link for Nepenthes... And it goes on and on from there! I ended up researching on Nepenthes and discovered my two Amorphophallus liked the same conditions as then so I decided to buy a N. Judith Finn" on eBay! Soon enough I was looking more at carnivores them Amorphophallus mainly because there is sooooo much more info on them! Luckily my “New” first carnivore is still alive! And I hope it does well in my now all CP tank with my carnivores which overwhelmed my other hobbies… :-D

Lol, I remember when I was about 7 or 8 we went to a carnivorous plant thingiedoodle at the Tennessee aquarium. They usually didn't let kids in but they let me! I made a bog garden with a few Sarrs and VFT and I was so proud on the way out the door I was climbing up the steps and DROPPED it!

Lol, they were nice and let me make a new one :)

I got my first cp in about 1985. Of course it was a vft. I had heard they were hard to keep alive so I kept it in the shade so it wouldn't get too hot from direct sunlight. I caught flies for it and made sure it had one in every open trap. I gave it well water.

Then a few years later I got another one. This time I kept it inside on top of my AC unit where it could get some sunlight coming in from the window. Again I gave it well water.

They both died within weeks.

Now for the funny part of the story, I live in NC, the natural range of VFT's. All I had to do was throw them outside and not babied them so much and they would have gotten along just fine.

I got My first VFT four months ago. Now I got three sundews, a butterwort, a utricularia, 2 sarracenias, like 8 or 9 nepenthes, a cephalotus, and five other VFT's. Props to my old man for helpin' me out with the collection....ah VFT's or sweet....Why don't you wake up... ahh...
...peace

Like most people, I had a VFT when I was a kid. I thought it was the coooolest thing. But of course it died because the instructions said to feed it hamburger and I watered it with tap. Then 6-7 years ago I decided to try one since I had all kinds of plants. Thanks to the internet, I learned how to care for it properly. VFTs do well here in VA.

One flytrap was all it took. I discovered you could buy other CPs and I was off and running.

I did my reserch first. I got D. aliciae and D capensis, along with P moranensis (died) the rest are still alive

I did my reserch first. I got D. aliciae and D capensis, along with P moranensis (died) the rest are still alive

It's easy to do research now. All you have to do is Google what you want to know. Think about how hard it was before the Internet. You have to try and find a book with the info. Either at the library or to find one for sell.

My first CP was a N. x ventrata.
I killed it.
Second plant:
N. ventrata
I killed it.
Third:
D.muscipula
Killed it.
And then I got a whole bunch of 8 different plants.
I killed them all :p
Then I did a little research and ordered 8 new plants from germany.
And here I am. With over 30 different neps and 10 different droseras.

It's easy to do research now. All you have to do is Google what you want to know. Think about how hard it was before the Internet. You have to try and find a book with the info. Either at the library or to find one for sell.

It was not a shot at everyone else. There were resources and i used it. So? I was just saying that it wasnt a impulse buy.

For me, it was actually S. minor and some local sundews that I found in my back yard in NE Florida back in the day when I was a wee babe (early 90's. rofl ). I knew what they were because I was a nerd, and I had an interest but I had no clue where to get any sort of bug eating plants in the days before the interweb, so I was THRILLED to find some in our rather ample back yard. :)

wow... CP's in youre back yard... are they still their?

wow... CP's in youre back yard... are they still their?

Yeah, I lived in the Thomas Creek basin north of Jacksonville, Florida, which was a bog. S. Minor and several species of native sundew lived there, and they're still growing strong. It was really quite cool to grow up in these things' natural environment!

Back