What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting off fresh(CPs that I want)

Ok if I bought some cps then I think I would have a better chance because I know alot about them now. I am planning to get venus fly traps and d. capensis. The problem is, is that I never saw a cape sundew in a store before. I asked but they didnt know what I was talking about and they just assumed it was the same as a venus fly trap. Where would I find them? Walmart, rona, or home depot? When I was there they didnt have any. Also, what time of the year is best to buy them? The stores sold them in the winter time which as weird. I live in winnipeg and its often neglected when it comes to carnivorous plants. I need alot of help trying to find them because my parents wont let me order online or they are not going to drive me across the country just to buy a plant. I guess Im stuck in a bad situation.

Cape sundews are almost like a weed to a lot of growers around here. You might get an offer from someone who has a lot of them just to help you out.

xvart.

i wonder if they have carpets of them growing in south africa?

they probably do. But thats besides the point I have some seedlings... ill send you them once they get bigger.

On line is your best bet to get any dew or CP other than a VFT. You can sometimes fine D. adelea and a couple sarrs and maybe a nepenthes ventrata at HD and Lowes, but those are only a few. Now unless your lucky like some folks who stumble upon a ceph or something else at a store then on line is the best bet. The next best bet is to hook up with someone here at the forum to send you plants. Just remember don;t go begging for them. That is the fastest way NOT to get plants IMO. I normally wait till I see a post saying plants free for shipping or seeds for SASE or something to that affect. If you see something for trade, and you have something to offer for a trade make the offer. If they do not want what your offering sometimes they will decide to send it to you. Sometimes not. The bottom line is never beg for plants, and when you do get your collection up, you remember those folks that gave you plants by giving to another new member.

I have been lucky enough to get a rather good size collection going from the generosity of the folks here and by buying a few, mainly nepenthes, offline. Although I have been sent a nepenthes cutting or three from generous people here too. Now that my collection is looking nice I have sent some here and there for shipping myself. As the Honored member Tamlin Downstar told me, the more you give away the more you will receive. Many times without asking for them. And that is true.

So as a recap.

1. Accept the plants that are offered--AS OFFERED--. I like the old saying beggers can't be choosers.
2. Never beg and nag for free plants.
3. Never ask if there is an extra plant when a person says the offer is done.
4. Pay it forward by being part of the Tamlin Army. Help out the next newbie once your collection is growing strong.

Sorry for the book.

Good luck!! This is a great hobby!

i dont know if shipping plants across the border is legal if the person doesnt live in the same country.

Where do you live?

winnipeg, canada. i know shipping seeds is perfectly legal but not plants.

Well, if importing seeds is no problem for you, then go for it with the capensis seeds. You'll soon have more than you know what to do with.

Same goes for many other 'dews, like spatulata, rotundifolia (which, if you get the right kind, you can grow year round outdoors - even in canada. But you have to get the Alaska variety), intermedia....etc, etc, etc...

Back