What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Shipping

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Well the wind is blowing, it's 14F, snow is flying around, I see people falling on ice from my window... and I have cabin fever.

So of course, when it's the worst time of the year, its the time of the year that I want to buy plants... I miss seeing green things.

Do you still feel confortable buying things mail order from vendors that pack things with 'heat packs?

I'm curious if I'm the only one who can't stand not buying new plants to play with for 4 months.

-Nate

There's always seeds :)

I actually just placed an order a few days ago. I am not too worried about the temperature because the temperatures have stopped fluctuating so drastically the past week. My mail also gets delivered to a temperature controlled facility where I pick up all my mail, so I don't have to worry about it being outside very long; however, I suppose in-transit would be my biggest concern, but I did not order super sensitive plants and believe they are hardy enough to handle some moderately chilly weather. Only time will tell.

xvart.

Curious, what did you order?

I'm thinking of getting a Nepenthes copelandii. It's a highland plant, and from what I can tell, highlands seem to be a bit tough for cold weather.

N. maxima, N. ramispina, and a ceph (thanks to JMatt's pics). The two neps are not very finicky and a little more hardy so all things considered they should be fine. The ceph is the only one I'm slightly worried about since they can be picky or more sensitive. Oh well, we'll see.

xvart.

I ordered a Ramisphina before the cold snap started over here. (Dec 30) It's currently one of my best plants at the moment. Here's a pic of what it looked like when I got it.

NepenthesRamispina.jpg

Not a scratch on it, my lowland Nepenthes Rafflesiana that I got though.... It's still having a hard time rebounding... but still hanging in there.
NepenthesRafflesiana.jpg

i think d. capensis would be the most unharmed plant while shipping it in winter.

I am not too worried about the temperature because the temperatures have stopped fluctuating so drastically the past week.

I actually just received my plants a little bit ago, and the weather had unexpectedly turned sour (maybe I jinxed it, or the people I talk to about the weather don't know anything). So, walking back from my mail center in the pouring snow with my box I finally got to open it. The plants looked great and they actually looked better than my N. 'black dragon' did when I got it this past fall. Of course, only time will tell if the winter winter did any real damage in transit.

xvart.

well xvart i hope it all turns out well for you.

Back