What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ban-Crazy

I agree, although in the end I suppose this is my "opinion" and it shouldn't be forced on anyone else. Although I'd imagine it's a little less debated than something like a seatbelt, it's easy to take too far. I'm sure for every person that argues that it's unsafe to ride without a helmet, there is someone else that argues it's simply unsafe to ride (period). Everyone manages their own level of risk, and if it's not harming anyone, then they should be able to do as they wish.

Again.. Anything that has to do with seat belt laws or helmet laws is completely irrelevant to the discussion. Driving is a privilege NOT a right. Helmets are simply standard equipment for a motorcycle to be legal on the road.. just like turn signals, headlights, tail lights ect ect. You dont hear people complain cause the law makes them have a headlight.. even though it has a secondary purpose of keeping you safer than not having one. When you sign your application to get a drivers liscence you agree to follow ALL the laws of the vehicle code, current and future, weather you like them or not. Again.. if people don't like it.. there is always the bus.

That's not true though. You don't have to wear a helmet where I live. It's your opinion that it should be, not the law in all 50 states.

You missed my point. Helmet and seat belt laws are not a violation of civil liberties or a removal of personal freedom. When it comes to driving, you have no rights at all. You follow the law, period. If you don't, you get a ticket (or worse).

So any restriction on driving would be justified in your opinion? Seem silly to me.

:shrug: You agree to it when you sign that application. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. There's a bus stop right on the corner.. lol

Regulating personal safety is a mistake, IMHO. That's the only point I was trying to make. Current law makes no difference on my opinion.

I hate to use the "slippery slope argument" because it's a terrible logical fallacy. But if you can justify a helmet law, you can justify requiring a one piece leather suit, too. It WOULD make motorcyclists safer. Banning riding/driving at night would decrease the number of accidents. And banning motorcycles altogether would certainly reduce road fatalities. Just seems like a lost cause to me. America, freedom to be dumb! I should be able to manage my own risks.

Thats why things like seat belt and helmet laws are put to popular vote before they become law. You get to voice your opinion in the ballot box just like everyone else.

Personally I wouldn't be in favor of a requirement to wear a leather suit even though I own one. However, if it did get put to vote and was voted in I would wear it and not complain. It would have saved me a lot of pain had I been wearing it the 2 times I took a spill.

The first time I went down on a freeway at 80 MPH... I had a leather jacket on but just blue jeans for pants... I missed a whole month of work due to the injuries I sustained on my legs and knees in that crash.

The other time wasn't so bad but I had a pretty fair sized patch of road rash on my shoulder and arm that made me pretty miserable for a couple weeks.

Aren't ya breakin the speed limit there. Abusing your "privilege"
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I just don't feel that a gov't that is supposed to serve the people grants "privileges". That's for like king's and queens and dictators and the like to do...

And kthulu, I do think society will be able to cooperate without laws someday, we're still young in our development, dinosaurs were around for how long? Maybe some day people will be responsible and civilized enough to not have to be told what to do, they will do the right thing on their own. I have faith in humanity.

So, for those of you who do not seem to like the idea of holding manufacturers accountable for keeping their operations/products reasonably efficient and environmentally sound: Do you feel that all regulations on air and water pollution enforced on companies should be lifted (to allow manufacturers to decide for themselves what is safe/comfortable for the rest of the occupants of our country and world)? Maybe it's just me, but I don't trust a corporation to "do the right thing".

I think we should stop worrying about light bulbs and start worrying about alternative fuels, the huge deficit thanks to old bushyboy, the wars on abstract ideas, the political corruption, equal rights, school shootings, religious zealots (Islamic or anything else), and why Glenn Beck sucks so bad.

Call me crazy... just some ideas. Really if we are this worries over light bulbs we have bigger problems than... well than light bulbs.

It is a pretty good sized thread for a light bulb controversy--

Well, more efficient lightbulbs would save money for the consumer and save energy to boot

I'm convinced the future is LED's.

I'm convinced the future is LED's.

I'll pass on the tiny little scrolling marquee's of lights along the ceiling. Maybe there can be messages scrolling along the walls and ceilings like:

"Thank you for saving energy."

"Please do not stare at the tiny blinking dots."

"Now that the light issue is resolved, time to move onto health insurance."

xvart.

yea those LED's can be horrible they have these flashlights.. OMG... its crazy

Quogue said, "I do think society will be able to cooperate without laws someday, we're still young in our development, dinosaurs were around for how long? Maybe some day people will be responsible and civilized enough to not have to be told what to do, they will do the right thing on their own. I have faith in humanity."

I say, why wait? Let's do an experiment now, where Quogue lives. Unless it's in CT. Let's eliminate all traffic laws, remove all traffic lights, stop signs and even scrub the stripes off the streets. Let's see how well people do the right thing on their own. I say it'll work like an unregulated economy. Some people way out ahead of where they would otherwise have been, others trying to be fair and cooperative, and lots of collateral damage.

No for real lol. LED's are the future of plant light and commercial I think. Those flashlights with like 7 LED's hurt my eyes and made me go blind worse than any other light i've looked into lol

"I do think society will be able to cooperate without laws someday, we're still young in our development, dinosaurs were around for how long? Maybe some day people will be responsible and civilized enough to not have to be told what to do, they will do the right thing on their own. I have faith in humanity."

Yes, get rid of those dang minimum wage laws. We know buisnesses will do the right thing and pay reasonable wages to every single person. And take care of their wastes in a responsible, safe manner.

Except history shows that they will not do that

Back