What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some help.....

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I know I'm gonna get teased cause of the name of my topic but I didn't know what else to call it..... Ok here's the thing, I'm getting married.....like soon I hope (don't ask, it's a looooong story!) I need to find a Justice of the Peace person. I've never done anything like this before and I didn't even know that they were called Justice of the Peace people until like 3 weeks ago, so I don't know what to do! I tried to google it but I don't think I'm getting the right thing here. I'm not planning a big wedding (not now at least) we just want to go to the court and do it like that. I think BugFreak just did it last week. How do I go about doing that and is there a long wait? ???

Oh yeah and how much does it cost? I'm in FL.

Last edited:
I think you go to the county court house and they can do it right there. And if they can't they probably can point you in the right direction

Pyro is right, county courthouse is the place to go. You'll need to go to the right justice of the peace for your precinct though, but they'll help you out with that there. I don't know how much it costs exactly, but its pretty cheap (in my opinion)

Ok I got it all figured out. Jeff and I will go to the courthouse sometime next week and get our marriage license then we will go back on February-27th (also Jeff's Birthday) and get married :boogie: Wow, it's happening a little sooner than I said, lol :-D

:clap: Congratulations!!! :clap:

Sounds like somebody has a little snowbird in the oven.

Sounds like somebody has a little snowbird in the oven.

That could be the reason for the rush... Or maybe doesn't want to go back to Canada? I don't know what the cut off for that is. :jester:

I don't know how much it costs exactly, but its pretty cheap (in my opinion)

I'm guessing it's much cheaper than a full blown wedding and reception! Congrats again!

xvart.

LMAO!!! A little snowbird in the oven!! I think not, Jeff busted out laughing when he saw that, LOL! I can't have little snowbirds :p It's not a rush, it's a choice to make it happen sooner cause something came up :)

BTW it will cost $93.50 for the marriage license and $30 for the reception.

Congratulations! Not only for the event itself, but also for striking a blow against the American wedding-industrial complex. My reception came in at just over $100, counting the tip, for about a dozen people in 1992. The best part (my wife & I agree on this, by the way) was my brother, who had changed to go fix something on his car, came back into the restaurant wearing too-tight pre-hip hop shorts. Unfortunately for him, the restaurant was also a popular gay hangout and men were eying him the rest of afternoon and he was probably wondering when people in CT became so friendly. Marriage license: $25. Wedding reception: $100. A memory like that: priceless.

Lol that's so funny lol

Lol CT lol

Congrats Niki

Congratulations! Not only for the event itself, but also for striking a blow against the American wedding-industrial complex. My reception came in at just over $100, counting the tip, for about a dozen people in 1992. The best part (my wife & I agree on this, by the way) was my brother, who had changed to go fix something on his car, came back into the restaurant wearing too-tight pre-hip hop shorts. Unfortunately for him, the restaurant was also a popular gay hangout and men were eying him the rest of afternoon and he was probably wondering when people in CT became so friendly. Marriage license: $25. Wedding reception: $100. A memory like that: priceless.

• [*]LOL that's great :-O Wow you only paid $25 for the license in 1992. I'm gonna pay $93.50 plus $30 for the ceremony. Here in FL, ever since October 1998 or something, they have this thing where if you're getting married you have to first take a marriage course. It's about 4 hours long. You take the course then go to the courthouse and show them that you completed the course and you can get married that day (as long as it's in the hours they do the ceremonies). You only need to pay $63 for the license then and the ceremony is still $30. You have the option not to take the course but then it's $30 more expensive plus you have to wait 3 days to get married. I don't have to take the course because I am not a FL resident, I'm not even a US citizen yet. Jeff doesn't want to do the course, he doesn't really care about the $30 or the course, so that's why we're going down next Friday to get our license and then it will be more than 3 days till the 27th, also the marriage license expires in 60 days, so it's perfect :-D Then right away I have to apply for a green card through marriage :usa2:

[*]I have to buy something nice to wear now, oh no :crap: I need to also have nice nails and hair. I like to wear shorts and comfy clothes, I NEVER wear dresses or skirts, I'm gonna look so dorky :down:

Oh god come on. It's your wedding day. Please don't wear a sweat shirt and shorts.

Then again it's your special day.

i got married in a nice tank top and jeans. at the time, i thought i was extremely broke- so no reception/party/big ceremony (turns out they shorted me $750 on my last check so i've got that back now) anyway, the license was $30 and ceremony thing was $60. no classes or anything- it took about 2 minutes.

girl, don't go dressed like a dork. wear something that's a bit nicer than sweats but still you. yes, you have to shower though. i always thought it would be fun to dress in costumes but i didn't have the time or money for that. our wedding day was so screwed up that my husband went to work afterwards and didn't get done til 8pm.

i wanna see some pics, too. how come not that many people have the balls to post pics of their ugly (or maybe not so ugly) mugs? oh, and congrats!

I had a friend who did something similar. He went to the courthouse with his fiance and they got married because of Visa's and international stuff. Anyways, they only told a couple people and then they got a picture taken. They eventually had a real wedding ceremony and their families still didn't know. What was even funnier was that the picture they had on the outside of the wedding program/agenda was the picture they had taken right after they got married six months prior. Good luck!

xvart.

Last edited:
i had the traditional type wedding in a church as the wife wanted but she planned it all out in a very short time and cost less than our plane tickets to her sisters wedding..............course she was two weeks into planning it before she asked me if i wanted to get married..........

So when I got married, my wife decided to save loads of money by doing a lot of things on our own - like making our own flowers and bouquets. She also told me that she would do everything and I wouldn't have to do a thing. Anyways, when all of our wholesale flowers arrived they were still just buds, and the stems were three feet long.... She totally lost it... So guess who ended up clipping all the flowers and making all the bouquets and getting pollen all over his shirt and and and and...

However, we planned our own wedding ceremony and it took about a whole twelve minutes. Who really enjoys weddings anyway? Everyone just wants to get boozed up at the reception anyway. My wife was Catholic, so we have sat through plenty of insanely long Catholic wedding ceremonies.

Short and sweet. It's the only way to fly.

xvart.

Back