What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Camera, A few Pics

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I got to play around with my new camera that came yesterday, Sony Alpha - Digital SLR, tonight so I thought I'd post a few pics.

Picture-6681.jpg

Picture-6645.jpg

Picture-6680.jpg

Picture-6672.jpg

Picture-6671.jpg

Picture-6668.jpg

Picture-6662.jpg

Picture-6659.jpg

Picture-6652.jpg

Picture-6654.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them.

Very nice! Time to update your hamata pic in your profile? I love that picture. It looks like all the pictures have this softness to them. Is that a feature or something you've done to the lighting?

xvart.

Real nice and vivid pics, as usual!!
And if I could ask- what is that first Sundew there?? I thought D.adelae at first but it sort of can't be- is it D.ascendens or something??

Gotta love the hamata and the Cephs!

Great photos. Very crisp.
How many mega pixels does your camera have? Does your camera have zoom capabilities? If so, how much and do you have to change lenses?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for it.

Thanks for the comments.

Very nice! Time to update your hamata pic in your profile? I love that picture. It looks like all the pictures have this softness to them. Is that a feature or something you've done to the lighting?

xvart.

So the pics look soft?
The soft look most likely is the compression I'm using so the pics are not a large file size and people on dial up do not have to wait 10 minutes for the pics to load.
It might also be because of the pictures are in RAW format, and I edit them myself. This is the first time that I have used this format as non of the other cameras I had could save the RAW format. The pictures in RAW format are just how the camera takes it, no editing. Most cameras save pictures in JPEG format, which my camera can do as well, which makes color corrections and compress the file so it's not too large on your memory card. I want all my information form the original picture - non altered so that is why I shoot in RAW format. The file size for the pictures are over 10 megs each in RAW format. I did notice that on the heli shots when I "saved for web" the reds lost some of there color, again that might be because of the compression I used, but never noticed it before when I used JPEG files. ???
Another thing I noticed when I upgraded my monitor to my flatscreen, pictures do have a bit of a different look to them then what I was used to. That might also be because I was used to using 800 X 600 resolution for years, and changed it when I got the flatscreen to 1280 X 1024.

mabudon,
That is a D. ascendens.

Lauderdale said:
How many mega pixels does your camera have? Does your camera have zoom capabilities? If so, how much and do you have to change lenses?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for it.

10.2 MP

Has just about any zoom capabilities that you want. Just need to buy the lenses for it. So yes you have to change lenses

I bought the camera at B&H photo.

Camera:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...940&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The higher power zoom lens I got:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...832&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Differnce in compression.

This heli is soft looking because of the compression:

Picture-6652.jpg

This picture is 4X the file size as the first, so it has better image quality because of not being compressed as much:

helitest.jpg

Elgecko – nice pics and camera. I know what you mean about RAW format, but you may want to set your camera to save in dual output: RAW & JPG. I have mine set for JPEG (3264x2448) and RAW at the same time. When I just want some nice JPEG’s I can use the JPEG files, but when I want to futz with the RAW file I still have the option to use it.

Awesome plants. I like that hamata and ceph a lot. Think maybe you should send those to me for like a doller a piece. I kid and all. I have some but not like yours. Not yet.

I cannot stop looking at the Leopard Gecko! That is the most beautiful picture I have ever seen! Well done :clap: I really want that camera!

Steve,
Great pics (as usual).

I'm curious about what criteria you used to select the new camera. I know from our past discussions that you likely did some significant research before your purchase (& yes I got the website you shared previously - thanks). What cameras made it into the last few and what pushed you to your final selection?

Thanks Ron.

Yes I did research a few cameras. As you know I ended up with the Sony Alpha.

The other 2 that made it into the final running was the new Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon D80.
The Nikon D80 camera dropped out rather quickly and it was down to the Sony Alpha and Canon Rebel XTi…………

I was already partial to Sony, as my other digital cameras were from them and I loved them. They also used Carl Zeiss lenses. They make some great glass.
My first was the Sony DSC-F505V 3 MP camera. (No longer have)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/f505v.html

Then I upgraded that camera to the Sony DSC-F707 5 MP camera. (No longer have)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/f707.html

For my wife I bought her a Canon PowerShot A520 4 MP camera. (Still use)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a520.html
It is easy to operate for her. For me it still had all the manual settings that I wanted, and makes a great grab and go camera. I have been very impressed with the pictures from this camera, when I have played around with it.

Anyway, enough of my camera history………. Good thing I did not go into all the SLR 35mm cameras I have also owned.

I read articles in Photography magazines and reviews on the internet on the 2 cameras, Sony Alpha (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/alpha100.html )and Canon Rebel XTi (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/rebelxti.html )

Both cameras ended up being about equal in most the comparisons.
I know that I wanted to spend around $1000.00 for my camera setup.
What made the difference was the image stabilization that Sony had built into the camera body. This means that any lens that is placed on the camera body can get an equivalent to 2 – 3-1/2 stops in shutter speed. This is a huge plus to me as I mainly take nature pictures and many times I do not have the ability to throw the camera on a tripod.

Canon also has the image stabilization technology, but it is built into the camera lens themselves.
A typical 75-300mm lens is just over $200.00. If you want it to have the image stabilization, you will have to add approximately another $250.00 per lens for this feature.

So now I have the Sony Alpha and so far love it.

Here are 2 shots while playing around with the 70-300mm zoom lens from last Saturday when I took a little hike.

chicadee2.jpg

chicadee1.jpg

Nice plants Elgecko. Where did you get the D. ascendens and is it easy to grow?

WOW those pics are amazing! I am so envious!

Steve,
Thanks for the camera info. I knew you had probably gone thru a pretty intensive selection process. I've heard / read quite a few good things about the Rebel so I was happy to see that you had considered it (I think Bob Z has one).

At some point, I'm going to have to make the investment in a good digital slr setup. Since I'll probably end up getting a 400mm lense (or greater) for it, I don't plan to swap setups after I make the investment (s).

Absolutely gorgeous photographs! :clap:

Thanks again for the comments.

Nice plants Elgecko. Where did you get the D. ascendens and is it easy to grow?

A fellow grower gave the D. ascendens to me.
This one is very easy to grow on the windowsill.

Ron,
Next time we meet up, you'll have to show which camera you ended up with.

Great photos! And super plants too.

I'll bet you are having a blast playing with the new camera. :)

Back