What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm about to CRY! All my dreams are CRUSHED!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
I suppose that means Bob Jones is out of the running too.

Perhaps your perspective on Christian values and morals are a bit skewed to the very vocal and unfortunately political side. When I hear that a college goes by Christian values (and that school is a medical school), many Christian values come to head. Namely, "love thy neighbor as thy self." A motto that should be at the forefront of any institution that seeks to develop people into doctors. Then there are the values of honesty (important if you are doing research), truth, compassion, love, mercy, grace, kindness, gentleness, and responsibility for ones own actions and talents. All are Christian values and morals that have a wide reaching application. Just another perspective. If you want a good education, go to where you can get it. I know that as a Christian, I don't want people who have the talents and passion for healing the sick not to get the best education just because they do not believe the same way I do.

Hey Clint,

I am at Emory and I have not taken a single religious course nor have I noticed any particularl bias toward religious thought.

While the origin of the school may once have been religious in nature this is one of the few situations where those with broader minds prevailed. The reason they can be such an excellent school in many fields is because they do not cram ideology down your throat. The only way you are going to come up against any religious teaching is if you enroll in the theology program (which is also supposed to be top notch.)

SO if you are really considering Emory then I would tell you to go for it and don't let the religious origin worry you

Oh THANK you! You REALLY put my mind to easy on Emory. Seriously, THANK you.

Now I just gotta figure out what to do with the next 5 years of my life... Lol. It's gonna be alright.

EDIT: My mom's friend just called and said she knows people who went there and it's anything BUT religious. Lol, from the way she spoke of it it sounded like a sinfest :)

Lol, I dunno. I could always try it for one semesters and transfer if I don't like it.

Wesleyan U. up here in CT is notoriously wild and liberal and is Methodist. I think the only thing they don't accept is normal.

EDIT: My mom's friend just called and said she knows people who went there and it's anything BUT religious. Lol, from the way she spoke of it it sounded like a sinfest :)

Lol, I dunno. I could always try it for one semesters and transfer if I don't like it.

So are we choosing college for a higher education or for the sinfest experience? If you really care about getting a college education you would be more worried about how the college ranks in your degree than what theological basis it has. If you want a sinfest experience save yourself some money and go to Amsterdam.

I don't want to live at bible camp, this is what this is about :)

Of course I want a higher education, but given the choice between a bunch of goody-two-shoes or a normal secular college, I'd naturally choose the secular college.

Look at it like this, if THE best college in the WORLD was the University of Satan,and if you want you were pretty much guaranteed an AMAZING job, you wouldn't want to go would you? Same principal, just reversed.

When my daughter is choosing a college less than 4 years from now, I won't be looking at any rankings - they're meaningless at best. Even though she might be looking at a similar degree as JLAP, I doubt she'll be looking at any of the same schools. Her lifestyle and social life and preferred environment are very different. She says her #1 & 2 choices are UCLA (she loves LA) and the University of Mississippi (my alma mater). I see her thriving at a big university, where she has plenty of options and can find some kindred souls, but wonder about her among a hyper-ambitious crowd like at UCLA. If I do any steering, it'll be towards a southern state university. It worked for me.

Should I look at the same schools she is? If we are looking at different types of schools maybe i'm looking at the wrong kind lol.

Is she a conservative? I ask because you said she was so different from me. Hey maybe Berry's a good choice if she's a conservative.

Speaking of the south, like a third of the people in America live here and for some reason we still get made fun of. What's up with that? lol.

No; she isn't conservative, but her lifestyle is pretty bland compared to yours. And will hopefully stay that way until she's out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind. She isn't a homebody, so I think she'll do well going a long distance to school. But she likes to disappear into the crowd and is comfortable in her big middle school. That's why I think she'll do better in a large rather than a small school. She isn't competitive enough to do battle with the students who choose elite colleges, even though I think she'll come into her own later and kick their @sses in grad school or whatever.

Before the last election, by the way, southerners ran the country for a long time and maybe the rest of the country was right about southerners.

Aww I don't believe in blandness. It takes all kinds :)

Not ALL southerners are bad. Lol, look at me!

Pretty much everyone is bland compared to you, JLAP, at least if accounting for age. Painting with a too broad brush, I might like southerners as individuals better than I like northerners. But not when they gather together. Northerners are better at playing with others and sharing their toys.

"Christian" colleges always have the best parties. I live in the mini-bible belt of west michigan and went to the only secular state university on this side of the state. I have 3 religous colleges within easy driving distance and the parties there always were better than the ones at my college. Also I found just as many bible thumpers at my secular college as I did when I would go visit the religous colleges. You will run into evengelical christians no matter where you go. My human orgins class about erupted into a riot when we discussed evolution.

Basically your going to run into hardline christians where ever you go, so dont worry about that and look at the quality of education. Also vanderbilt is a very good school my cousin went there and loved it. He made it sound like a very nice school.

Lol, well, thank's Bruce lol

Yeah ktulu, I guess I just gonna learn how to put them in their place hehehe

Go to UCSF! (University of California, San Francisco). It's a top-notch medical school, and it's in San Francisco!

Of course you might have to win the lottery to go. No idea what it costs.

Capslock

Lol, I WISH! My parents are dead-against me moving too far away :(

My dream is to move to San Francisco one day. It's really where I belong. Almost everyone seems to be in line with my thinking.

I wanted to go to Berry college... oh great I found out that it has a Christian emphasis (although it's not affiliated with any churches), Christian morals and values.

Then I found out that Emory is affiliated with the Methodist church! They support Christian values, too.

I'm so... oh my god I'm so sad. I want to go to a private secular college but I don't know any....

I'm getting teary-eyed. I feel like someone just punched me in the chest. I really feel like my dreams just went down the crapper. I'm really trying hard not to burst into tears.

Maybe i'm being stubborn. I just don't want to go to a college with christian emphasis.

Actually if you get punched in the chest, it doesnt hurt that much and it doesnt make your eyes water. Usually, your eyes water if you get punched in the nose or eyes.

Ok... That's good to know.

So maybe you should have said you feel like you just sliced a big pile of onions. It isn't as dramatic, but I guess it would be more physiologically correct. Other than for the dreams down the crapper part. Onions don't do that.

Hi,

Hope that you don't mind if I interject a couple of remarks.

First, I can completely understand your reservations regarding attending
an institution with any kind of religious leaning, especially Christian. Sadly,
such "universities", especially those with an evangelical bent, are little more
than indoctrination centers to inculcate today's youth with "right think" (see
Orwell's 1984).

Personally, my advice is "be afraid, be very afraid". In short, find another school.
There are a lot of them out there, and I have no doubt that you will be able to
find one which will be a better match for you. My impression is that you are
an intelligent, compassionate person, with a desire to learn and think for yourself.
So, in the words of Shakespeare, "To thine own self be true." Don't allow a dogmatic
environment to extinguish the light of your personality and mind, for that
is likely what that sort of environment will do.

You see, religion is like a virus of the mind. Once it has infected a susceptible mind,
it takes over and often effectively prevents that mind from functioning properly, or
looking at the world in any sort of logical, evidence-driven fashion. A prime example
of this kind of evil is the persecution of Galileo by the Catholic Church, or contemporary
efforts by the Religious Right to teach creationist nonsense in science classes instead
of real, legitimate science.

Please, think carefully, and find a way to attend a real, intellectually honest institution.
You have only one life to live, and one's undergraduate years are very special. Don't
waste them in an environment that may cripple you morally and intellectually.

And, finally, if you are wondering how I've arrived at my strongly held opinions,
please know that I was raised with religion, but learned to free myself from it
and think clearly. Moreover, I've attended five universities, and hold five
degrees, so I can tell you first-hand that there are many fine schools out there.
Go find a better one -- you deserve it!

Best of luck!

Back