What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's pick on the Canadians

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
I'd move to Canada in a heartbeat. Since someone has already mentioned our Newfoundland neighbors, has anyone tried Screech? It's a truly evil rum and might be the reason why Newfoundland never became as popular of a tourist of destination as Hawaii or the French Riviera. Others might blame the weather, but I think it's the Screech.

lol JLAP...

Yea South western Canada isn't that bad... Kinda nice actualy.

West Edmonton is southwestern Canada?!? Only from the perspective of whatever the Northwest Territories is called now.

LOL Okay, okay, how's aboot a REAL Canuck posts in here (trapper went to the warm side)

First- that joke didn't make any sense Ozzy, I think it was an attempt at non-sequitir humour

Second- it is NOT a "frozen wasteland", not where I live anyways, I am actually south of a few members here from the mainland US (not Alaska, tho we are south of that too)

And pot is NOT legal, unfortunately, but someday- they're more afraid of a plant than they are of Gay people- which is good for Gay folks(and I am in full support of the way that is all set up right now), but since I ain't Gay, I'm still pushin for the NEXT thing to finally get made legal

Maybe I'll post a good joke if I can remember one...

JLAP- them Canadian Forums- I recognized it from the topics you listed- it's a pretty good place actually, for political debate etc(and you must have gone there at a time when I don't, all the "spiritual" threads heat up at night, the political stuff is in the daytime, I'm mabudon there too btw if you do decide to check it out)

That's right! Pot is still illegal there! And it's not a wasteland in BC either.

Call the men in the white coats, She has officially lost it.

Obviously you aren't familiar with Joni Mitchell, an amazing music/vocal talent hailing originally from Canada. :p

LOL he didn say any thing about my joke. I don't think he liked it. :jester:

herenorthere- missed your "screech" mention the first time- had it, don't mind it, but you CAN'T drink it "tourist in Newfoundland" style or it'll KILL ya

Nep_ak- I actually thought the joke was totally fine, I've just heard it a LOT of times- and I'm not an east-coaster either, I don't have that accent at all.

OH and aboot the use of the word "eh"- many Canadians do, in fact, use the term- but it's not an automatic "end of every sentence" kind of thing in most cases- I will use it, when speakin colloquially with a buddy, to prompt a response of some kind- such as "MAN, it sure is snowing out there, eh?". In that example, "eh" would mean sort of "what do YOU think" thus making it something othe rthan a straight-up declarative sentence. It would typically be followed by an either "yea or nay" response, depending on the opinion of the respondant...

SOME folks use it all the time for no reason, tho, but that isn't the rule.. and some folks do NOT use it at all

Hope that helps a bit, eh??

Very well said, eh:-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Pot not legal?

Lol, EVERYONE'S BEEN LYING TO ME!

Yea its just not watched as hard core as it is hear.

Screech rum! Ever had Screech pie? We made it in highschool.........wow needless to say i put in too much rum and put everyone to sleep almost! Physics was hard to pay attention in!

I've never been to Newfoundland, but had a friend up in Maine who was from there. So I had my Screech in Maine and don't know if it was the same as tourist in Newfoundland style. But it was pretty heinous. Another friend was from Venezuela and the rums he had, drunk the same way as the Screech, were out of this world. Newfoundland is also notable for neither being in the same time zone with the rest of the Maritimes nor being 1 hour ahead. Instead, it's a 1/2 hour ahead. I don't know how many 1/2 hour time zones there are in the world, but I was told no one should be surprised that Newfoundland has one.

What's "screech" rum?

Blah alcohol is the nastiest stuff ever... blargh

Hey 0zzy! You took over my post! That's tresspassing! :nono: I'm telling Andrew!

Andrew........

So. go tell him, you're the one he'll ban.

Ban Niki, Ban Ozzy. Boy, this place would ROCK!!!!!!!

Why would he ban me? Hey Bugweed, I've been good lately!

:nono:

herenorthere- "tourist style"- basically, if you are obviously from out of town, you will get "screeched in" by the locals in some places- they are proud of theri local fire-water and love to watch folks enjoy it in large gulps- every once in a while there's a bit on some TV show about it, and it seems like a recipe for headaches at the least. And the half-hour time zone?? TRUE, they do indeed have it set up like that, and whenever TV listings used to come on the CBC, it used to say "and a half an hour leter in Newfoundland" which always puzzled me... once I grew up and understood things better, what you say is true as well, it really is no surprise they have something so odd...

As a side note, Newfoundland was also the last province to join Canada, which I think might have something to do with the time being out of whack there (as is so much other stuff- not being unkind, but folks are REALLY "unique" out there)

Back