What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need to vent.......yet again! *Sorry*

A friend of mine here in the office worked for over a year planning her wedding. She did all the traditional things...every minute detail of it.... just like all her friends had done a dozen times in their weddings prior to hers

my wife set a date 4 months in the future.......................had everything set up within the first 30 days and she had nothing to do for the next 3 months.................prolly a good thing she did it that way cause we were both hung over to beat hell the day of and its mostly a blur anyways............... :grin:

I can't. Jeff's mom INSISTED on buying my outfit. I told her over and over again that I didn't want her to buy it, but she kept pushing it. So now how am I supposed to tell her that I don't want her at the wedding OR for dinner. I just want to give her the money for the clothes that she purchased for me and tell her that Jeff and I just want it to be our day and ONLY OUR DAY. But then again, what will happen afterwards?? All the yelling, slamming, verbal abuse, I don't know if it's worth it. I'm actually starting to dread this day, this is not right :down:

Ok, no more BS. I talked to Jeff and it's just going to be him, the dog and me. THAT'S IT! Jeff will tell her, cause I really don't want to deal with it. I am giving back the money that she spent on my outfit. This is supposed to be a special day and darn it, it will be! LOL.

No more Mrs. NiceGirl :p

do what my mom did for her second wedding! They got sick of all the family pressure and trying to find a spot and they just had the justice of the peace come over one day, and they were legally married in front of the TV in the living room. Then, one week later, they had a ceremony thing at the park, where we all got dressed up and took pictures. My mom and stepdad had their own secret ceremony just the two of them, and our family got to have their photo opportunity. everyone's happy! Plus, they get TWO anniversaries!

Good for you. The big clue is...once the planning isn't fun any more, its time to stop. If someone is having a blast planning for a complicated wedding, go for it. If not, simply don't do it.

All you have to do is tell the family how you feel, tell them what you plan to do...and that's it. You do what you and Jeff want and don't worry about the family stuff. That is their problem. Don't be a party to any guilt or grief they might try to hang on you. Kindly remind them that if they had minded their own business and been more tactful and respectful of y'alls wishes, maybe there would have been a ceremony they could have attended. If you can't play nicely in the sandbox, then suffer the consequences.

That sounds like a mess!! I honestly think that mother-in-laws are given a manual on how to be the most psychotic people on the plantet. When I was engaged to my husband, my in-laws FREAKED OUT. I mean like... should have been sent to a psychiatist freaked out. Started calling me a wh@#$, trying to diagnose me with mental disorders *Rolling eyes* so we eloped and didn't tell ANYONE expect my mom and dad. Who I am very close to. They found out and went even MORE insane. Saying they were disowning him, etc. Of course... they didn't and they showed up (My husband is from another country, so I THOUGHT we would be safe hahaha) and didn't leave for a MONTH. To make matters worse, they came when he had to leave for a week long conference for his profession and I WAS ALONE WITH THEM!!! OMG Talk about HELL... she did everything but kill me with that knife she was shoving in my back. Then to add insult to injury, she offered to PAY ME to divorce her son. OMG

Moral of the story... Well, there is none other than in-laws suck. (No offense to all the in-laws out there! I am sure there are good ones out there. My mom and dad is to my husband. Heck, they side with him on every argument that we have!!!)

My advice, let your fiance do the talking to them. I know he probably doesn't want to deal with it but it will save you looking like someone trying to break a "mother/son bond"... even if it is non-existent!

Pak-that's great advice, thanks :)

Kat-Wow your MIL sounds really evil. She offered to pay you to divorce her son!!! That is insane! Also good advice on letting Jeff talk to her.

Back