What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for all you anti-hunters

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
Parents who smoke are a much greater threat to their children (due to the increased probability of them taking up smoking) than are the toothy critters outside the back door. I don't advocate establishing quotas for shooting smoking parents either. Shooting one that is a serious threat is different (I'm referring back to the critters here). Someone who thinks they can move into a "wild" area and then kill every potential threat is looking for some kind of Disney wilderness. No less than someone who refuses to allow deer hunting in their leafy suburbs.

Finch....................your missing the point................the 3 S's are quite often applied to a critter that is not nor has it ever been endangered...............the grey wolf................heard the same applied to mountain lions quite a bit as well...............shooting one of these critters out of season can mean stiff fines and jail time..............

Bruce there is a big difference between killin' every potental threat(if so i would be all for killin every rattler around) and killin' a critter such as the above cat..............i dont see the above cat as a potential threat...........displaying behaviors such as that(on the porch, no fear of ppl) is most definatly a real and present threat......................if it was a black bear instead of a cougar i would call fish and game and not think much of it............if it was a griz instead of the cougar i would call fish and game aslong as it wasnt trying to enter the house..............but a wolf or a cougar is going to wind up in a hole out in the yard..............

No, you are missing my point. The 3 S's are applied to a range of inconvenient wildlife. What angers me is when applied to endangered species. I dont know what that has to do with the grey wolf... wich by the way, we hear mountain lion, bison, and deer kills all the time but very few wolf attacks ... we hear cattle occasionaly.... but so do alot of things....

As for wolfs not being an endangerd species, you are absolutely right. Globally they are considerd least concern, with strong canadian populations. On the subspecies level, many are imperiled. The only one on this continent is the mexican gray wolf. Gray wolf: not endangerd. I feel the mexican subspecies should be protected from extinction, but others that occour in america... *shrug* im fairly neutral
The Service had listed several subspecies of gray wolf under the Endangered Species Act between 1973 and 1976, but later recognized that the approach of protecting individual gray wolf subspecies may not provide adequate protection due to overlapping subspecies’ boundaries and wolves’ highly mobile nature. Therefore, in 1978 the Service listed the entire gray wolf species as endangered, except in Minnesota where it was listed as threatened, in the coterminous United States. The species-level listing (as opposed to the previous subspecies level listings) prompted a national focus on the gray wolf, although the Service committed to continuation of subspecies conservation efforts, including the Mexican wolf, where appropriate.

I'd pick up my .54 caliber and let the hammer down. No more worries. Mountain Lions are really getting thick around here, and as rattler probably knows, we just had another attack. Only truly stupid animal on this earth is man. As for rattlesnakes, I either walk around them, or, if hungry, kill it and take it home. Otherwise, I appreciate it for what it is, and give it its space.

how does rattler meat taste, and how do you prepare it?

Make a batter with your favorite herbs and spices (basil is EXCELLENT!), coat the meat, cook till golden brown, and PIG OUT!!!!! Learned how to cook rattlesnake 42 years ago.

Now THAT'S a kitty cat!

Here we go again.........topics on shooting an animal that will rip your head off i knew we bad. Go pet him Finch.

you know what, i never once said that i had a problem with him or anyone else shooting the animal. And i dont really see much of a debate here, as most of us are in agreement on most things. If you dont like the things i say, you are welcome to refute them. If not, back off.

Relax, Finch. I agree it was uncalled for, and this IS a forum to state your mind, so leave it at that. Water off a ducks back. I know that, and Nep G knows that, and a minor dig shouldn't bother you so much. We all are just stating our sides. If someone misunderstands you, restate your case. Neither of you need to feel this is personal. Aggravating? FOR SURE!!! But no one dies! I know what you mean Finch, so it is just opinion, and sometimes ---bad humor??

I read a story a few years ago about a guy who was jogging one morning in town and they found what was left of him behind a bush by the elementary school.
Mountain Lion ate him.
I think it mighta been in Montana actually, or Colorado... I forget, I read that some time ago...

You guys argue about the dumbest stuff, I swear lmao.

Then again I'm the first to go head-to-head with the religious fundamentals so... Lol I guess I like to argue over dumb stuff, too!

We have bear here like Rattler has mountain lions. They never bother us, but they sure are entertaining to watch. Once I was walking in our back yard and I heard a "mwaaaaaargh!" and I looked up and it was a black coalla bear! No.. it was a baby black bear! I knew the mother was around so I started RUNNING for my life even though I don't think you're supposed to run lmao. I've never ran SO fast lmao.

And one time there was a storm and like 3 babies were up in our tree and the tree was waving and our dog was barking at the mom (which was a beast!) and We wanted to get the dog inside to leave the mother alone but there was no way WE were gonna go out there.

And one time my dad shot a bear who's foot was basically rotting off because it had been bitten by a snake. I guess that was part mercy killing part sport ; winter was just around the coroner I mean corner (haha, bad joke!) That bear is mounted in the basement in my dads little "museum" of animals and indian artifacts and stuff.

And the other bear that's mounted in our living room standing up was shot after it charged by dad. Maybe it was a bluff charge? Probably. I wouldn't have taken the chance, that's for sure.

By the way, for those of you who've never had to drag a giant bear out of the woods, those guys are HEAVY!!!!!!!

HEAVY!!!!

Oh, what a total load of testosterone-laced BS.

Do you know how many people have been killed by cougars in the past century? 16, with only 100 attacks (one per year, and look at that miserable rate of deaths per attack). Bees kill more than twice that every year. Better get the rifles, I saw a nasty looking wasp yesterday!

How does it approaching a home *once* out of curiosity make it a threat? A single approach does not mean it's lost it's fear of humans, and certainly doesn't warrant shooting it. You want to ward it off, pop it with a paintball gun; if other people report a cougar with a big pink spot hanging around, *then* you know you have a problem. You cannot, however, determine if there is a problem based on a single encounter; one instance does not make a habit.

Seriously, if you live in an area with large predators, you have to be willing to accept that risk; if you don't like it, move to NYC or somewhere. Besides, just buy strong doors, it's not like they know how to work doorknobs. These animals are a trivial risk, and killing them on sight (oh, I'm sorry "when it gets to close", which is the same thing) is simply unjustified.

This is why the DNR acts like it does - to keep testosterone poisoning from putting the species back on the brink of extinction. If you can't stand the trivial threat from local predators, get out of their habitat. Oh, and by the way, you're many, many times more likely to be killed on the road while moving away than you are by any large predator, even one that *has* lost its fear of humans.

Mokele

You probably aren't impressed by bulging pickup trucks either.

Oh, and additional data points:
Number of humans killed by healthy wolves in the US, ever: 0
Number of humans killed by rabid wolves in the US, ever: 1
Number of humans killed by bears in the US, in the past 100 years: 107 (52 black, 50 brown, 5 polar)
Number of humans killed by alligators, in the past 40 years: 20

In contrast:
Dingos, in a six-year period: 20 fatalities
Leopards, 10 years, one forest: 37 fatalities, 652 injured
Lions, 15 years, Tanzania only: 500+ attacks, many fatal
Tigers, southwest Bangladesh only, last year: 22 fatalities
Elephants, India only, per year: 100 fatalities average.

Yeah, we're in *real* danger....

Many more people are killed by peanut butter than by cougars, but just try to get a state legislature to offer a bounty on peanut butter. I bet they'd take it more seriously if it played the bad guy role in some Disney animal adventure movies.

I 'spose this has been mentioned in this thread already, but most attacks by animals are probably from human stupidity, or curiosity rather.

When I was visiting the zoo a few years back, a little girl asked her mother when viewing the tiger cage, "Mommy, why can't we pet the tigers?".

Maybe it's just me, but despite the fact that that girl was young, maybe 7 years old, I'm guessing it's our culture that makes it so that the younger generation views anything with fur as being nice. TV is prolly what did it. But I think that a child that young should know that animals like that are in cages for a reason.

-Ben

Killum.

Shootem.

Mountem.

Back