What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So... hooray for coincidences.

it's just so random i had to post it :)

i've been kinda-sorta looking for a buddy for my single male gerbil, Bunker... when I got him i thought i was buying two females, and, well, suffice to say the pet store got it wrong. so he's been a bachelor ever since, but gerbils are social and should really have buddies.

so the other day i was in petco and thinking about that, and when i got home i found a "classifieds" forum on the American Gerbil Society (yes they do exist) website. it wasn't that busy there (several weeks between some posts) but on a whim i posted that i was looking for a single male gerbil in western NY.

ten minutes later i get an email from a girl in Syracuse who had the exact same thing just happen to her when she bought a pair of "females"... and i'm probably headed to the Syracuse area in two weeks for the SUNYAC men's ice hockey finals. the best part is, her sister goes to my college. so if she still wants to find a home for her male, i guess my Bunky's getting a roomate ;)

just had to share!

I love a good coincidence! Gives ya that warm, fuzzy feeling. :D

Be careful, Moonflower. I don’t know your age, but if you saw the gerbil episode of “Rugrats” back in the 90’s you’ll know what I’m talking about…:-O

All that set aside, I wish Bunky the best of luck with his new roommate!

HOORAY for Bunker!! :woot: :boogie:

:pics: ??

here's Bunker... no pics of his possible roommate yet but i'll post them as soon as i get some!

bunker_2-22-07.jpg

How do you end up with one male after thinking you were buying two females? Did you get home and find he was standing next to a little gerbil mirror or did you find that he had a little inflatable gerbil woman or was it something even more mysterious? But I agree; the odds against the same thing happening to someone else seem astronomical.

I think she got a male and female but she wanted two males so she took the female back? Am I right? Why didn't you get another male for him back then?

BTW Bunker is adorable and VERY handsome! I think they make great pets, I've never had one but I worked in a pet store and it was always a pleasure to clean the gerbils' cage :-D

Congratulations. I had gerbils. I loved them. I also had 2 chipmunks.

I loved them. I also had 2 chipmunks.

She used to have three, but we showed Alvin what we thought of his trouble-making.

lol yes, i did think i had two females, but i noticed when i got home that one gerbil was somewhat larger than the other one, and i didn't trust the pet store's guess of "two females" anyway, so i checked myself by putting them both in their clear carrier and comparing... bunker has more, um, parts than his sister did ;) mature gerbils can be *very* easily sexed. he was just 10wks old then, which is when gerbils mature, so my guess is th store got the litter in very young, sexed them once, and didn't bother to check again. i returned the female instead of the male just in case... reeeaallly didn't need little gerbil babies running around!! they didn't have any other single males at the time and i didn't want to further stress him or me, so i decided to wait on it. but if i can find him a friend now i think he'll be much better off... better late then never, no?

i really hope i get this little guy!! :D

Bunker is adorable and VERY handsome! I think they make great pets, I've never had one but I worked in a pet store and it was always a pleasure to clean the gerbils' cage :-D

why thank you :) your sugar glider is quite adorable as well :D

yes he is so easy to maintain... SO much cleaner than my hamster used to be. the bedding really only gets yucky after almost two weeks (which is just as well because carefresh is expensive!!!) and he doesn't have a cranky or aggressive bone in his body, he's never even attempted to seriously bite anyone (curious nibbling is another story)

Yeah, I like when things play out like that.

As for gerbils I found this comic that might provide some entertainment.

LOL, that's a good comic :p

Moonflower- thank you :) I hope Bunker gets along well with his new buddy.

Back