What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Question

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date
stringy? the only wild game ive ever had thats stringy are older animals. heck a buck in his prime isnt stringy..........heck when i shot the oldest pronghorn doe in the state she wasnt terribly stringy...................just tough enough you couldnt cut the gravy with a chainsaw :grin:

Westley..................tender, yes..................good eating, yes..................but it takes ALOT of the lil buggers to fill up a freezer :grin:

LOL, I'll say. A good size deer will fill a freeze fairly quickly but fawns don't have a whole lot to 'em. The only tough deer I've really ever had was not prepared well. After that, theyre all good. What do you usually hunt deer with? What kind of deer do you usually hunt?

I use a Knight .50cal muzzloader and a Ruger 25-06

im almost always after mule deer.......cause where i like to hunt mainly has mulies. as far as what i use..........a rifle :grin: in the last few years ive used a Savage 99 in 250 Savage, a Ruger MkII in 6mm Remington, a Savage 110 in 270 Winchester........this year i was carrying a custom rifle based on a Remington 700 in 375 Winchester Short Mag but never shot anything cause i was busy playing guide though my brother borrowed it and shot a mulie...................next year who knows working on a deal for a Remington Titanium in 260 Remington but i might also get a Ruger #1 in 450/400 then again ive been meaning to use my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, ive carried it a few times but never taken a shot................i hope to get the Remington Ti. it should be an ideal packing rifle(weights around 5.5 pounds before being scoped, my light weight 6x scope should bring it up to a whopping 6.75 pounds loaded and ready to hunt) and one that ill keep around for a long time.

Mulies make up the most of our deer hunting here. I have taken bucks with my .45 caliber Kentucky Long Rifle, my .54 caliber Hawken Rifle from Ithaca/Navy Arms (makers of exact duplicates of original pieces), and once with a breech loading 45/70 Sharps Buffalo Gun. And this Sharps WAS an original. I loved that gun! And the sight was superb!!!! Got an Elk that year, shot at 350 yards. Even at that range, it lifted the Elk off his feet and knocked him back about 15 feet. MAN!! What a sight to see! Good eatin' too. Elk steak cooked with Bear Grease Butter. MMMMMMMMMMM!! I have taken 6 deer with my Plains Indian bow with the handmade arrows. God what fun!! And a real challenge.

That's nothing. I've dug way more potatoes than that with my Ames shovel. It's an original too - I don't like replicas either. We have the potatoes with plain butter.

LOLOL!!!!!! I LIKE that , Bruce! Good one!!!

Back