What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm a christian now

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
It says fear but that doesn't mean be afraid. It means like.. respect.

I didn't want to say this but I asked for a sign and asked for it to be REALLY obvious, then the next day I log on to find that your house burned. Don't get pissed at me or anything... not like I asked for it... I dunno I just thought i'd say that. Prolly a coincidence. I'm sure it is. God wouldn't burn your house down dude just to give me a sign. Seriously don't get mad at me, please.

I don't "feel it" like I did the first time.

I'm happy with whatever people want to believe. I'm of the mindset that it doesn't really matter; but, that mindset has allowed me to accept others beliefs and the reasons they believe what they do.

How someone who can halfway agree with you, yet later disagree because of a later detail.

It's too bad that usually that later detail makes all the difference.

xvart.

Dude, i dont care why would i be mad at you about what god did?

God sacrafices things in peoples life he knows they can handle to affect other peoples life.

Oh good lmao. I don't think that was a sign but I definately did think about it.

But if it's fear of hell, what about other religions' hells or equivalents? What if Buddhism is correct and you get reincarnated as a slug?

Besides, IMHO western faiths are boring; who really wants a dull old sky-god when you can worship a blood-drinking goddess of death who thrives of human sacrifice? I mean, if you're looking for a way to make life easier, few things smooth the way like murdering everyone who stands in your path...

mmmmmmmurder.....

I knew my agreeing with Outsiders71 couldn't last. I disagree about "You either believe there is a God Almighty or down right reject it." I'm in between. But I have an easier time understanding how someone believes there's a God than understanding how someone can be convinced there isn't one somewhere.

I guess I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say. I was trying to respond to the "The religion thing didn't work for me" comment. So many people turn a relationship with God into a religion. God doesn't want you to be a part of a religion or a specific denomination of Christianity. He wants you to have a personal relationship with Him, where you go to church or what denomination you call yourself doesn't matter unless it is proclaiming false truths that don't match God's word (aka cults).

I hope you are on my team again :-D j/k.

But if it's fear of hell, what about other religions' hells or equivalents? What if Buddhism is correct and you get reincarnated as a slug?

Besides, IMHO western faiths are boring; who really wants a dull old sky-god when you can worship a blood-drinking goddess of death who thrives of human sacrifice? I mean, if you're looking for a way to make life easier, few things smooth the way like murdering everyone who stands in your path...

mmmmmmmurder.....

Did that blood-drinking goddess of death who thrived on human sacrifice do anything for you? Does she make promises that she never breaks? Did she make herself a servant to all, always placing herself in last place in order to make everyone else come first? Did she live a life without sin? Would she be willing to be flogged beyond recognition and then be crucified for my sin? Could she love me unconditionally even knowing that I may stray and dishonor her? Could she fill my entire being with an endless love for everyone I encounter regardless on how they treat me?

Did that blood-drinking goddess of death who thrived on human sacrifice do anything for you? Does she make promises that she never breaks? Did she make herself a servant to all, always placing herself in last place in order to make everyone else come first? Did she live a life without sin? Would she be willing to be flogged beyond recognition and then be crucified for my sin? Could she love me unconditionally even knowing that I may stray and dishonor her? Could she fill my entire being with an endless love for everyone I encounter regardless on how they treat me?

Well, yeah! She IS the blood-drinking goddess of death!

Sorry! As it says, Perfect Love casts out all fear. So what's to be afraid of?? Death???? Big deal!!! Nobody gets out of this alive anyway, so better make choices. I sure won't tell you which ones to make. Do good, do bad. Another choice. A blood drinking goddess? Yawn! Fear rules most of this world. What's next?? As though death is a bad thing. Not putting myself purposely in harms way, but when its time, I KNOW, I am ready to go. And I am happy for my life, and I will be happy to meet death.
Grave! Where is thy Victory? Death! Where is thy sting? and YOU can read this, and other great things in the Holy Bible!

Ironically, Kali actually has two aspects in traditional Hinduism: on one hand, she is death itself, a personification of the terror of facing your own mortality, the furious whirlwind of destruction beyond even the control of the gods whose mad revel in carnage will end the world, while on the other hand, she's actually a deeply caring mother goddess who protects those who can face the terror that she represents.

Remember, western religions have a screwed-up view of destruction and death, seeing it as negative and bad. In contrast, Hinduism sees it as a vital part of the world, and of creation itself - all life relies on death and destruction at some level, and without destruction, there would be no room for more life. Even the end of the world is merely so that a new world will be born from the ruins of the old.

As for your questions specifically, technically Kali does grant protection to those who face her. Her promises are pretty simple, and since in Hinduism she will be the cause of the end of the world, you could well say she places herself last. Technically she exists without sin, since that concept doesn't translate to hinduism, and her role as part of the Destroyer aspect of god is vital and necessary. As for being flogged, she's the sort who puts up a fight (which is actually kind of the problem, since she's more powerful than any of the other gods). As for love, as I noted, Kali has a mother aspect, loving and protecting those who accept and understand her in all her terrible glory.

I should note that I'm not *actually* Hindu; I've simply learned a lot about it, and Kali is one of my fiancee's favorite gods. I do, however, find the concept of the Trimurti far more touching than anything I've heard from the Bible. For those unfamiliar, Hinduism is technically monotheistic/pantheistic, with a single god, Brahman, who is, well, everything. Brahman has 3 aspects('gods' is a mistranslation), independent and part of the whole at once: Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver, and Shiva the Destroyer. Each aspect is vital, as the universe cannot survive without the cycle of creation, existence, and destruction. Each god has consorts and numerous offspring, separate yet part of them (Kali is one of Shiva's consorts, appropriately). To me, the Trimurti is the most elegant metaphor for the nature of life and existence that I have yet seen, including anything from any western religion. I don't strictly believe in it, but I find it exceptionally insightful and beautiful.

Anyhow, this is all quite off-topic. The end point is that not all of us even *want* gods like yours, nor find beauty in the same places. You want eternal life, Hindus want the opposite, to escape from Samsara (the cycle of reincarnation). You see beauty in self-sacrifice; I see beauty in the endless cycles of destruction and creation that pervade our world.

As a last note, I must say that this forum of all places I would expect to find people who understand that death can be a beautiful thing. The beauty of our plants is grown by the deaths of countless animals, after all.

Mokele

When God is in pursuit, asking him for a sign is not an act of unfaithfulness. Just think about Gideon (Judges 6:36), he wasn't happy with just a wet fleece on dry ground, he asked for another sign! :) Typing of which, do you have a Bible? If not, I suggest you get one. I'd recommend either The Message or NIV for starters. Also, Romans is a great place to start to read, as is the four Gospels (Luke is probably one of my favorites).

JLAP, I am happy for you. I also will welcome you into the family of Christ. A word of cation, don't resist change. And don't think less of your decision just because you felt that it was based on the fear of hell. I for one will not make fun of you for that. You have my word. There are many reasons why to accept the Grace and Forgiveness of Christ, and not one would cause God to abandon you. May your Faith grow in leaps and bounds over the next few months. May your Faith endure trials and testings, and endure times of unceasing Joy. May I someday rejoice with you at God's throne in Heaven, unstained, and made anew. God be with you. Amen.

I'll be praying for you, and am here if you need to ask questions. Not, saying I would have all the answers, but hopefully I could help.

I'm happy for you JLAP. It's a tough road to be on. Intolerance and deception will always be knocking on your door. It's just that now you might have a little different perspective on the world in general. Outsider71 has the idea, it's a personal relationship with God, not an organization. There are a bazillion versions of the Bible. I prefer the KJV but God will reach you no matter which you choose. Feel free to PM if you want ! Sounds like you knee deep in Bug's brain though.

Now JLAP! Get outta my brain! Don't need you knee deep in this little pea that is my brain.

Ok, didn't sign on last night, and look what I missed.

I have to address this:
You either believe there is a God Almighty or down right reject it. It's sad how many people belittle God to the word "religion".

This argument is a logical fallicy. You have presented your argument stating there are only two possibilities, when in fact there are more.

But I do understand your point. You don't need to beleive in any specific religion to beleive in God. I simply don't beleive in God, and therefore have no use for religion. I am, however, given to phillisophical ramblings on the nature of man, or whatever, from time to time, but I never include God in any of my ramblings.

Wow lol. Lots of replies lol. Thanks everyone.

Nothing like a good ol' religious romp in the forum hay. lol

You know what they say... You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder...
Following Christ implies more than just facing him, it means moving along with him. Moving means working to get some place, instead of staying put and getting comfortable. Motion is life where stagnation is death. Jesus spent his years on earth loving us, and trying to get us to rise out of our illness of self-serving and truly live in love and truth. And for those who want life, he paid their ransom so their human sin will be forgotten and they can continue to live eternally.

cheers
Peter

It will be much easier to follow Christ now that his body has been located.

Hehe, but the christians can't believe that that's really him. It'll screw christianity up, and no matter how much proof there is the christians won't believe it. I don't know if it's jesus in that box or not. I guess I can't believe it is him because of my new religion.

It's crazy lmao

You're not sure of what you can believe because of your religion? Hmmm...

Back