What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    baby

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Anyone going to watch this tonight, and what do you guys think about this business? I was going to watch it, but there's a new episode of Desperate Housewives on and I'm sorry but Brie's murderer hubby and Gabby and her boy toys are more important than our Lord and Savior. Seriously though I will watch it the next time it comes on, probably later tonight, then Ted Koppel's gonna talk about it, naturally.

What do you guys think? IS Jesus the baby daddy? WAS Mary Magdalene more than a "Woman of the City"? ARE the descendent's of Jesus walking among us today, OR Is this some sort of a sign from above that we've run out of real news?

The Book says differently, and Man has been trying to make it a lie for centuries, so, I'll stick with the Book! Man has nothing better to do than trying to disprove many things. What do they know? They aren't God. Jesus arose and left this earth, so I think it major B.S.

I am going to watch it tonight (its 6:10 here on the west coast). All I have to say is that it is important to keep an open mind no matter what issue/topic/problem someone is trying to justify/prove/disprove/etc. Look at their experiments, data, observations, and conclusions FIRST, then deicide if you agree or not.

Well, we've found hundreds like it so, no. (That's what ABC told me)

What Bugweed said!

Jerry

this is rather interesting though you have to admit...
Alex

The story everybody is talking about can be found here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6397373.stm

The following is from the "Findings refuted" section:

-----------------------------
Israeli archaeologist Amos Kloner, who was among the first to examine the tomb when it was first discovered, said the names marked on the coffins were very common at the time.

"I don't accept the news that it was used by Jesus or his family," he told the BBC News website.

"The documentary filmmakers are using it to sell their film."
------------------------------

Of course it's interesting! I just watched it and it was really good. Poor Susan.. she'll never know Mike wanted to give her the ring...

Oh you mean that Jesus show. I missed it and it comes on again at like 1 am, and I AM watching Ted Koppel's commentary right now. I don't want to stay up until 3... Hopefully it'll come on again at a more reasonable hour.

I don't like that dude with the hat, he's just... blah I don't like his face lol.

Outsiders, I'm SO!!!! Proud of you for posting a real news link and not a biased Christian site! That's not sarcasm.

Personally... and call me crazy...but this dude is a directer first and foremost.... I can't believe that money isn't at least a small motivator for him. I didn't watch the show so I can't comment but I think it IS likely that it's just a coincidence. But the bottom line is that, assuming this IS TRUE, no one will ever dig up enough evidence to disprove Christianity since it's faith and not fact based. Sure Christians can pull this and that science to try and support this and that claim but they can't on this one.

Unless.... you compared the DNA of the Shroud of Torin to this body they have found, if there is any DNA. If it matched you still couldn't disprove Christianity lol, I think.

I've been watching the program and it is indeed interesting.

The truth is, for myself, that I cannot personally prove or disprove any of this, so my personal opinion remains what it always has been (which will remain unmentioned here).

I like to get my news from the BBC, and was happy when they didn't even allow the article under their "Science/Nature" section, and I found it funny that they put it under the Entertainment section also. Personally I prefer someone with an academic background in middle east studies to tell me about new discoveries, NOT an Hollywood director who is making large amounts of money off this idea that Christ had a family.

I like this cartoon of the situation:
lbs070228.gif

Having watched the whole thing I can say that I'm glad that the show was presented as I'd hoped: "Here is a series of interesting information to pique your thought and interests and it may in fact be as it seems...but then, science isn't perfect and you should probably just stick to what you believe."

I didn't see it (no cable), but there's an excellent review of it by a science blogger here: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/03/lost_tomb_of_jesus.php#more

I haven't seen it myself, but I am skeptical on two accounts: 1) that's an awful lot of base on a negative test from some highly-degraded DNA and 2) those stats seem fishy, and I won't be convinced by them until I see a detailed report on the statistical methodology.

What I really am interested in is the raw stats for frequency of names, and how they calculated their odds, because they may not be taking observer bias into account: We'd suspect what the documentary does with the given assortment of names, but we'd also reach that conclusion with *other* arrangements, including if there were just two ossuaries with the names Jesus and Mary (either of them) on them.

I don't for an instant believe in the resurrection (and I'm even skeptical of the existence of a single individual corresponding to Jesus), but nothing bugs me like bad logic and shoddy reasoning. And IMHO, abuse of statistics should be a freaking crime.

Mokele

Wow, that summary has so many facts from the program wrong I don't even know where to start. Suffice to say, DON'T get your impressions of the program from that so-called summary. I disagree with Mokele, it's far from an "excellent review".

NEVER in the program is any of this supposed information factually stated. The narrator presents the information in a "if we accept this is true, then -random fact- may be true as well!" The program draws lots of conclusions based on what it feels is proven, or statistically proven evidence. I find it hilarious that people are getting up in arms shouting "They're only making educated guesses, this isn't fact!"

Guess what, folks. That's what science is, so you might as well throw out everything else you've learned if you aren't willing to accept any of the other theories. And let's not forget this documentary was made by entertainers, so it needs to be approached that way.

For myself personally, I expect people will pick this apart to disprove everything and then claim that it's horrible that this would be shown on TV to begin with. I hold people responsible for their own actions and beliefs, so if some fool wants to buy into everything in this movie, create his own holy crusade, and destroy something or somebody in the name of whatever I won't blame the creators for a second. If we started to blame writers and producers for people that kill in their name then I have some stern words for the scribes of the Bible!

Yeah, and you clearly know more about how science works than the tenured biology professor who wrote that review.

Yeah, and you clearly know more about how science works than the tenured biology professor who wrote that review.

Being a "tenured biology professor" doesn't mean that you're immune to making yourself look like a fool on the internet because you couldn't bother with being honest and objective. He's so blinded in his opposition that he's misquoted the film no fewer than 3 times and nearly every single bullet point of the summary contains a complete misinterpretation of the film.

I thought the film was fascinating, but I don't believe about 75% of it. That said, the only thing more ridiculous than watching this professor screw up the summary is watching someone who didn't see it defend him.

I havn't seen the film or the interview but it's kind of absurd to take whatever someone says with 100% faith just because of their title. Then again that's what we do with God, then again I believe in God... BOOM

*Head explodes*

I have yet to hear God utter a sound.

oooh it's such a crock... basically the filmmakers are making a big deal out of some major speculation. they found some ossuaries in Jerusalem with the ancient Aramaic equivalents of John Smith and Family written on them, and they claim it's Jesus. that's about all the evidence they've got.

the New York Times ran a good interview with some of the directors... my favorite part was when they asked one of the directors why they had not tested all of the ossuaries for DNA relatedness (this might have changed some of their comclusions):

“We’re not scientists. At the end of the day we can’t wait till every ossuary is tested for DNA,” he (Simcha Jacobovici, director) said. “We took the story that far. At some point you have to say, ‘I’ve done my job as a journalist.’ ” NYT- ‘Crypt Held Bodies of Jesus and Family…” 2/27/2007

translation: "What are you, crazy? We just call this stuff science for publicity. If we did REAL science we wouldn't have a STORY!!! Sheesh."

nonsense, the whole thing.

Back