What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only in Kalifornia

Haha that's a Big round for a squirrel, ain't gonna be much left after that!

actually you would be surprised................high velocity and fragible bullets causes splatter........my 45-70 shoots a solid chunk of lead weighing ~10 times heavier than my 223 varmit bullets and is going less than half as fast............its like a frieght train.......isnt going very fast but its a b!$#% to stop.................basically just punches a 1/2 inch hole through the ground squirrel...............

Interesting.. I'm so not familiar with hunting ammo, most of my firearms are either on the verge of being banned or surplus from WW II or I
What I was thinking of is those dogging videos I seen, alotta splater goin on there!
That was mostly 223 or 17 HMR come to think of it...

Anyone here ever see that thing that was on TV a few years ago about that "Killer Squirrel"?? I can't recall wher eit was, maybe Vermont, but I somehow saw it twice about 2 weeks apart and I laughed so hard it almost killed me- the thing was rushing people, and there was one (kinda sad) case where this Vietnam Vet (and older fellow) got attacked by it- he wasn't really hurt, but the "recreation" footage coupled with the voiceover of the account of the event was somehow HILARIOUS- he was saying stuff like "The thing had me PINNED, I couldn't get up from under it", and I suppose beyond that you'd have to see the bit- I bet it's on youtube or something, it's about 7 minutes long....

Anyone see that??

a 17 hummer shouldnt be splatting much..................its not going that fast and its not much of a bullet............the wife has one, im not terribly impressed with it.......heck a 223 doesnt splatter a big prairie dog much..................a 22-250 will though :grin: ....................load a 270 winchester up with 110 Nosler Balistic Tips..............they will splatter a large jackrabbit..............if you want splatter effect, for small stuff go with the 204 Ruger and for prairie dogs, rock chucks and jackrabbits you need a dang fast 22, 6mm or something larger loaded with light, fragile bullets.................

The 17 they would just pretty much drop, they seemed to be shooting 223 the most. And there was some definite splattering going on, not complete annihilation though.
Name of the vid was Praire dog be gone.

Anyone here ever see that thing that was on TV a few years ago about that "Killer Squirrel"?? I can't recall wher eit was, maybe Vermont, but I somehow saw it twice about 2 weeks apart and I laughed so hard it almost killed me- the thing was rushing people, and there was one (kinda sad) case where this Vietnam Vet (and older fellow) got attacked by it- he wasn't really hurt, but the "recreation" footage coupled with the voiceover of the account of the event was somehow HILARIOUS- he was saying stuff like "The thing had me PINNED, I couldn't get up from under it", and I suppose beyond that you'd have to see the bit- I bet it's on youtube or something, it's about 7 minutes long....

Anyone see that??

Nope, but I'll look for it!

nuts!! don't get yer hopes up- the story doesn't seem to be out there anymore, all's I found was dead links- it was in Illinois tho, if that helps :D

Birth control for squirrels, what we need to be doing is shooting the baby machines in our welfare system with birth control darts when they go pick up their checks.

Want a splatter effect? I used to shoot mice with a 9mm.

what they need are a few birds of prey. there was this hawk that lived on campus my sophomore year. it lived above the quad and feasted on the huge population of squirrels which were fat from dining hall food. I particularly liked it when the hawk would rip apart a squirrel carcass for the passing crowds of students to see.

You're a sick girl Emily:-))
I've been seeing a lot more Birds-of-Prey in NYC lately. Saw one take off from next to a garbage can with a sparrow in it's talons, people were walkin by like nuthin, probly didn't even notice it, heck I almost missed it!

You're a sick girl Emily:-))

heh, what can I say...after my plants got attacked last year, I've come to hate squirrels.

At our old house there used to be a squirrel that woud rush us when we went in the back door. It would come flying off its tree and right at us. Thats until I kicked it half way across the yard one day. Then it never came out of its tree when I was around for some reason. As a side note squirrels fly quite well and actully land on their feet oddly enough.

yes but im worried about a pellet gun being able to stop a charge.........what if you just wound it? then yah got a torqued off squrrel that REALLY wants a piece of you! :-))

There are "pellet guns" out there that are strong enough to humanely kill moose, deer, buffalo, etc (some shoot a 700gr. slug at over 1,000fps for about 1400 ft./lb. of energy!) . I have one that is stronger than my .22LR rifle. After the squirrels dug up a few of my plants, I had an excuse to get rid of them. I haven't seen another one in over 6months....

what they need are a few birds of prey. there was this hawk that lived on campus my sophomore year. it lived above the quad and feasted on the huge population of squirrels which were fat from dining hall food. I particularly liked it when the hawk would rip apart a squirrel carcass for the passing crowds of students to see.

That is a good idea. I'll bet there is someone in the region that practices falconry. I heard of Airports using birds of prey to limit the population of birds so that the danger of sucking them into an engine is reduced. Also, what can an animal activist say to a bird of prey doing what it is born to do?

Personally if they love squirrels soo much, and the people of the city are willing to pay for it. Have at it, not my money going down the drain.

Falconry is great for campuses or landfills, but it's going to be a bit of a liability in residential areas in Santa Monica. The same folks who don't want the squirrels to die will throw a fit the moment little Jack Russel disappears. Which might be an issue in a town where the average citizen could sue the haggis outta you.

Here are two links about the problem from Santa Monica's website:

http://www.smgov.net/cityclerk/council/information_items/2006/GroundSquirrel2.pdf

http://www.smgov.net/cityclerk/council/information_items/2006/GroundSquirrelControlUpdate.pdf

The first looks like the initial plan and the second is a month later. Earlier attempts had been tripped up by people who maybe didn't like the idea of feeding flea-ridden squirrels to raptors in rehab. As an aside, it isn't clear if those raptors are liberal or conservative. But, returning to the topic at hand, I think those links show a government trying to solve a problem while being sensitive to the differing opinions of the people. I doubt many of us are accustomed to that and it's something to admire.

I was bit by a squirrel when I was 6, it bit me right through my fingernail. I had to get a tetanus shot (I think) and it bled a lot, but I didn't get any plague. I had a squirrel friend when I was younger. I would come home from school and open our sliding door, couple minutes he would be there and I would sit on the couch with him and feed him peanuts while we watched cartoons, lol. It was cute, he was a black squirrel so I named him Blacky. I was so sad when we had to move :(

what we need to be doing is shooting the baby machines in our welfare system with birth control darts when they go pick up their checks.

Huh? Last time I checked, it took BOTH a "baby machine" AND a "sperminator" to make a baby. So if you're aiming any birth control darts, make sure you shoot both.

I just read that the BC for the squirrels has not only made them aggressive to other squirrels, causing squirrel on squirrel crime, but it has also caused a surge in their brain power giving them the ability to construct weapons.

squrrilslightsabebattle.jpg

See what happens when we fool around with mother nature.

Pak as soon as they develop a BC dart for men I will be all for shooting them too when they go pick up their checks.

Back