What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHAT IS THIS SOUTH AFRICAN CARNIVORE?

Just got an email from Bihrmann and he has found a possible name for it.
Apiaceae, Alepidea
carpensis or A. delicatula.

I will check these out.

Rooting around on the web earlier this week I ran across the University of Connecticut Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Growth Facilities which has an extensive collection of South African flora. Peeking at the staff listing one of the research aides is an ICPS and NECPS member and is responsible for the EBB CPs. I shot him off an email and he said he spent two seasons doing research in RSA but hadn't seen the plants in questions. His guess was "Arctopus (family Apiaceae)-- it's pretty similar to juvenile plants of A. echinatus. There are two other species in the genus, about which I know nothing, and it could very well be one of those.
Arctopus are weird little tuberous plants in the carrot family, with very bristly leaves". He was going to check with some of his friends in South Africa.

Either way that's a cool looking plant. Definitely looks like it could've been a forerunner of the VFT.

Maybe somebody out there was successful with the flytrap x D. regia cross.. :0o:

A new site!

Greetings!
Well I have gotten all the images that Bihrmann had sent me onto my little machine and was all set to start loading on images onto the site that is linked on the first post of this thread and would you believe but that site just would not work right. Don't know about anyone else but to me it is not 3 strikes and your out but only TWO!!! With all the stuff to do and looking at only a limited amount of time left in my life to do it all in I am not going to waste my time and my labor on a website host that is :censor: and then some!!!
But I found another free site and in working on that site I believe that this new site will be around. So I have set up all four of the images that I have of Drosera at the new site. There is a habitat image which I may be redoing.
Apparently there are two sites: this major one and the one with this VFT look-a-like!
Here is the link to the NEW SITE!
AND I HOPE THE FINAL SITE OR :rant: !
http://www.freewebs.com/selsoaflora/

You might want to try ringo.com to host you pics. It's the best pic hosting site that I've found by far.

Thanks Ozzy, will check them out.

I will be adding more images. of the same ones but will more from
the habitat and better close ups by Bihrmann rather than my edited images.
Manana!!

rest of images added

Yo! I have gotten up additional images of the major Drosera population plus close ups of the two plants with the VFT look a like.
I set up a link under the top image of the habitat to a page on which I have quartered the entire habitat view. the view on the left side is unretouched but I had to enhance the right side views to emphasize the plants.

this new site is great compared to the last one. Once I get my stuff from the other site inserted into the new site the old site will disappear!!

Shall be adding more text and links on the Drosera as seems appropriate.
Again any comment or criticism is appreciated.
http://www.freewebs.com/selsoaflora/

Links added

While I shall be revamping the Drosera section I have put up several links to information about South Africa that you may find of merit.
The most important are the journals and images by Bihrmann.
He presents several posts of images of different areas that he has explored. This might be of interest. His journals deal with his day to day activities plus notes on his explorations. I believe for those who are interested the images alone will be worth your time. Please keep in mind that Bihrmann is Danish and has done a great job of writing in English.

That "VFT like" plant is one weird lookin thing, to be sure, pretty cool to see :D

Back