What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adnedarn! Here I come!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Jeff and I decided to move to Arizona! We're moving to Fort Mohave, I have family there. Jeff got laid off 8 days after we got married (how nice!) and we can't stand it here anymore with the old hag, soooooooo in about 3 months-ish we're getting a Uhaul and driving to Arizona :-D I am so excited!! Now we just have to figure out how to move 4 sugar gliders and our dog safely, without stressing them out too much. Plus some CP's, oh yeah and my fish Studboy! Anyone have any advice on how to move a fish? Should I just put him in a tupperware container? I'm going to miss Florida, but I miss my family as well. Now Jeff just needs to find a temperary job. I'm a little stressed but also very excited :-D

Andrew, if my CP's die on the way, I'm coming to you for some more ;)

I'm not too sure I would leave Flordia. Think of the neps you could grow year round out there. I kinda wanna move there or some where in California where it would be possible. I was also born in California so that's also a plus. Would it not be hard to grow CP's out in Arizonia?

It takes a lot of work to grow cps here. That being said. Don't come here. :nono:

Edit: at least I don't know where Ft. Mohave is off the top of my head.. so maybe it's far away. Like, NY? hehe

HAHA very funny :p I'm not as interested in growing CP's as I am in moving some place brand new :boogie: Fort Mohave is in Bullhead City (I think).

Starting from: 1 Tucson, AZ Save Address
Arriving at: 2 Fort Mohave, AZ Save Address
Distance: 371.9 miles Approximate Travel Time: 5 hours 59 mins

I guess that's far enough.

Good, I'm glad you're happy then. Does anyone have any NICE comments to make??

Im glad youre moving away from that old hag. hurray for you!

Does anyone have any NICE comments to make??
I do. I am glad that you will be happy in az. To save you money I would check the price of penske instead of uhaul. Normally they are half the price, and they promise you a truck with low miles. Uhaul will give you a piece of junk to drive. i can also give you a few more tips on saving money when you rent a moving truck if you are interested. I hope you have a really nice and enjoyable move. I also hope that you really love living in AZ.

Do you need somebody to help you load the truck (Free of Charge)

I'm good at giving directions (Free of charge)

Holden Beach, NC US TO Orlando, FL US
Total Est. Distance: 526.44 miles

Holden Beach, NC US TO Fort Mohave, AZ US
Total Est. Distance: 2304.16 miles (Priceless)

I'm not sure whether you're being for real or not 0zzy ??? The Uhaul would cost us $2,060.00 plus $180 for a two wheel trailer to pull our car. My dad looked on the net and said that if we rent a pod, they drop it off and we fill it up with our stuff, then they come and pick it up and drive it to Arizona. He said it would be cheaper that way.

Thanks for the advice 0zzy. I was going to ask you what you drove when you moved.

Penske first offer from Orlando to Kingsman az is $1547 for a 16 ft truck. I can almost promise that that I can get them to lower that price. I think I can probably get this price to less than $1000.

Have you been smoking weed or something?? ???

Didn't you just make a post about how much you LOVED Florida and the beach? Why not just move somewhere else in FL so Jeff can look for another job?

In Arizona, you got heat, dry air, lizards, prickly cactus and....Andrew. *shudder* :poke:

I think you should move to Holden Beach. :D

But if Arizona is what you want...I hope it works out for you.

Don't answer that nikki!

Seriously though... you're going from a warm paradise to a desert? What's wrong with you? You're leaving palm trees and alligators for tumbleweeds and armadillos.

Atleast there won't be as many old people, they can't take the heat. Oh wait! What's a canadian gonna do in the desert? Won't you melt?

Seriously though... you're going from a warm paradise to a desert? What's wrong with you? You're leaving palm trees and alligators for tumbleweeds and armadillos.

We have palm trees... hehe

Well... still lol. Nikki, hope you're happy wherever you go. BUT what's gonna happen to your mother in law and can you afford to move with both of you being unemployed? i mean that's not really my business but don't forget to think about everything.

If I were you I'd get a job/jobs set up before you move that way you can start working say a week after you get settled in.

Humm well congrads. Good for you! Arizona has lots of interesting birds and flora. The adaptations made by the plants out there to conserve water is truly fascinating. CAM photosynthesis aside, the morphological changes are wonderful! And OMG the hummingbird diversity. Well that’s mostly in the south…Ok im rambling a bit.

Where was i…. um

Oh yes, jobs. Within my kin, the standard practice is to secure along-term job where you want to live, and then you move there- just like JLAP said. I understand not all of us have this luxury- I hope you have a good read on the job market there. Goodluck!

I would throw caution to the wind, drive all the way there, have NO plan as to what to do, or where to go, and how I am going to pay for it all. And try to sell oreo's on e-bay! Try this Nikki! Show a picture on e-bay of a beautiful heavily veined S. oreophila and quote a bid open price of 50 bucks. When they see a beautiful picture like that, the bidding will go through the roof. When the dust clears, have them send the cash, and you send him oreo's. A whole bag of them. (GOOD cookies!) With a note. Can't sell oreo's across state lines. Will these do? Then, disappear for ten years, and surface when the coast is clear. Should have enough money from the sale to live in Arizona for a couple of weeks!!

There are definatly lots of hummingbirds! I was unaware one was any different than the other LOL their nests sure are neat though! And to watch them sit on the nest with just a beak hanging over (or 3 or 4 once the babies are bigger) is quite the site!

I would say to stop by on your way through, but I10 is gonna be under MAJOR construction by then and there will be no off ramps unless you wanna back track many many miles. Not worth it :)
Andrew

How exciting! I say go for it! Just make sure you have computer connection when you arrive so you can update us on your progress. Is there any particular reason why you chose AZ?

My parents talk about how they moved from FL to TN with only a small hope of one job for my dad. They loaded everything up in a small U-Haul trailer and went on their way. When they got to the smoky mountains they thought, "well, we have never seen these mountains and probably might not again for a while, so we may as well just drive them on the way." Big mistake my dad recalls as they were navigating tight roads with steep drop-offs with a U-Haul and they went to the smokies all the time afterwards!

Just be careful how you travel. lol.

xvart.

Growing CP (especially Neps) out there is gonna be difficult. Here in FL you just have to set them outside. Good luck.

Back