What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

part one: Just a thought.. But would members be interested in.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a great idea. I am mainly interested in the buying/selling forum option, because there are many times that I would like to purchase things from other people, but do not want to offer money since it's against the rules. A membership would certainly be a good way to have this option.

xvart.

ok, so what about a member discount if you have the membership, you get a small discount or free shipping or something off your CP buiseness!

nepak- I've thought about some type of "bonus" to long standing active members of the forum for my business... But I'm not sure the start of it would be a good place to start something like that. I'd need to have the doors open a little while first then decide if I could "afford" to do such a thing. Not that you're gonna need a sale to like my prices though. I don't think there will be dissapointment there.

side note...could we have, in this new buy/sell forum for premium members, an auction option so we will be able to auction off plants, seeds, supplies, ect.? a new twist :)
Alex

glider, i feel that would be too complicated on an ongoing situation. Maybe if this does happen, further down the road we can try twists like that.

The idea sounds like a good way to keep the forums running.
Personally I always liked the trade only policy on TF; it fosters a kind of community I don't see on other forums... but that being said the forums do cost money and we gotta do what we gotta do to support the boards. Definitely keeping costs low and the privileges desirable but not necessary is going to be best in the long run.

Peter

Rubra- thanks for your comments and please don't confuse this with the forums will die otherwise. Once the store opens (soon!) we'll see how it goes and this may not even be nessasary (best case senario i think) but if it doesn't open strong, or sustain some strength in sales in the start... that when this may get started. I agree with liking the community that trade only fosters. And either way I think this already strong community will keep that up.
Andrew

How bout a Terraforum T-shirt or Boonie Hat for the Silver/Gold members ?

Personally I always liked the trade only policy on TF; it fosters a kind of community I don't see on other forums...

After my first post I thought about it more, and I agree with Peter also. There are just times when I sit here thinking, "wow, what a cool plant. Wish I had something to trade for it." However, after thinking about it, it is something really special about the no purchase rule. I've seen other forums where they have both options (trade and sale) and it seems that the sales often smother the trading. Once the business gets up and running, it would be hard to take away a feature or forum like that. So I have changed my vote on the sale forum.

nepak- I've thought about some type of "bonus" to long standing active members of the forum for my business... But I'm not sure the start of it would be a good place to start something like that. I'd need to have the doors open a little while first then decide if I could "afford" to do such a thing. Not that you're gonna need a sale to like my prices though. I don't think there will be dissapointment there.

Yeah, it's like in cocktail when Tom Cruise is sitting in his uncle's bar at the beginning and Tom Cruise asks his uncle for a free drink. His uncle says something like here's your first tip on running a business: "You don't get rich by giving away freebies."

Yes! I TF t-shirt! We should do that anyway! lol.

xvart.

Can we pay you even if you're business is good and you don't need it? Can't hurt. Besides I REALLY wanna gold name :)

Trade only... I don't see how that builds a stronger community. I mean... Sometimes you just want to get what you want right then and there. A lot of us sell and buy with each other through PM's and when ever you post that you'd like to get or get rid of something you hope that someone offers you cash but it's just soo much easier to say "This plant is for sale for X amount of money" rather than " PM me with offers".

Look at CPUK, that looks like a community to me and they have buying and selling, which brings me to another point. Are you going to have rules saying that people can't sell the same things you sell? I think that's a good idea. Or what if your inventory fluctuates? And are you going to cater to the newb or to people like us who want the more exotic and hard to find?

I think this forum is evolving. I really do. First the skin upgrades and smileys and this. I mean our previous owner was a great guy, too. I'm glad you post. He never posted much.

Phillip used to post on here but as he got busier, that kinda fell to the wayside. He was running multiple businesses. So he left the forums up to the mods basically. He did a fantastic job...and Andrew is following in his footsteps.

lol This is supposed to be about raising money, not spending it. However, TF t-shirts would be great. Maybe we could have a contest for best image for a t-shirt...and then if enough members ponied up the money, we could order them. But you'd have to get enough people to commit to buying to cover the printing costs.

I don't think opening threads should only be for paying members, there's some great threads with cool pics that members who don't post often just pop up and post once in awhile.

whee!! im down with the monthly membership fee, the shirt and the gold name!!! :banana2:

can the younger members afford to pay though? if they can't we'd end up losing them, then i'd have no one to talk to.

jlap- I'd imagine you could sell whatever you want. But of course it'd be nice to not sell the same stuff I would be selling :p mainly the idea is to have the "better" stuff most cp stores don't have available.

At first I'm going to be pretty basic stuff.. but I hope to work up to some of the better stuff...

quogue, not opening as in starting.. everyone can still do that! Everything you do now will still be free. this is jsut "extra" features. havn't you ever seen a topic "locked" by mods? This would make it so you could lock and open your own threads rather than having to ask a mod to do it for you...

jiana54- again, same forums as now for free... just "extra" stuff with the premium. There is no way i'm taking ANYTHING away from nonpaying members. it is not about punishing non suscribers... but giving extra benifits to supporters!

Last edited:
Andrew............count me in for a premium membership if yah start them up....................

So for now are you possibly interested? About how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Yes, I would be interested. The $20 per year option sounds good.

I probly wouldn't do it, but I think it would be a great service to those who are interested!
As for T-shirts, there's the cost of making the screen, then the more you print, the cheaper each shirt becomes..
Good luck

So...are you gonna post a poll for this?

I couldn't see myself using the new features you suggested, but I'd probably still chip in a few bucks to help TerraForums.

Does TerraForums get any revenue from clicking on the advertisement links and banners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back