What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humming birds!!

Finch

Whats it to ya?
*edit- i guess my post was so offtopic it was made a topic on its own. This is directed at andrew, and i am responding to him in this...

There are definatly lots of hummingbirds! I was unaware one was any different than the other LOL their nests sure are neat though! And to watch them sit on the nest with just a beak hanging over (or 3 or 4 once the babies are bigger) is quite the site!

Oh not at all. I know for a fact that Arizona has more hummingbird species than the entire rest of the united states combined. Mostly Mexican species reaching the extreme northern limits of their habitat. Andrew do you get any of these Arizona beauties where you live?
103_gal.jpg

Blue-throated?
Magnificent-Hummer2.jpg

magnificent?
18_lucifer_hb.jpg

lucifer?

We only get Ruby-thoats through migration here in eastern SD. Dont ask me how they find food, flowers cannot be found for miles on end. It would be nice to have the variety that you do down there. We have the upper hand on wood warblers, finches, and blackbirds but they just are not the same!

New post :) Cause I can try to get pictures soon.... I don't recognise them right off hand.. I think I have a photo of a nest with babies on my computer... lemme look real quick
Andrew

For what it's worth, the number of hummingbird species in a state correlates very well with the state's tendency to vote Republican in presidential elections. I worked out the statistics several years ago to tweak a professor who seemed too serious about an assignment. Not being an ornithologist or a political scientist, I don't know whether hummingbirds are attracted to places full of Republicans or whether a tiny brain on a perpetual sugar buzz tends to vote Republican.

:-)) I'd go with the latter.

I love hummingbirds. They are awsome lil' buggers. They are pretty fearless when it comes to humans and will buzz right by your head. They squeak too.

yah, us little brained people around here like to vote "wrong" ??? I think the hummingbirds make us do it.

Back