What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field trip! No CP's but some awesome pics... 56k warning!

i'm home on spring break and it was a GORGEOUS day outside, so me and my mom went to Morton Nat'l Wildlife Refuge over in Southampton (NY). the birds there are so tame they will eat out of your hand... and even if they're not doing that they sit prettily for pictures :)

it was the first real outing for my new toy... a shiny new 5 mp Canon Powershot S2 IS. this baby ROCKS. now imagine what i could do with the telephoto attachment.... *drools* (the pics did get compressed a little weirdly on Photobucket, for the record!)

chow time!
mwr3-13-07_005.jpg

woodpecker (species?)
mwr3-13-07_054.jpg

cardinal who was definitely a show off... sat there for five whole minutes
mwr3-13-07_064.jpg

another chickadee
mwr3-13-07_038.jpg

SKUNK CABBAGE!! (i'm sorry, it's just a neat plant!!!)
mwr3-13-07_010.jpg

Chickadees will eat from a hand anywhere. It's the nature of that particular beast. Get a cardinal to eat out of your hand and that will be some serious tame.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of Stanley Park in Canada, I always had chickadees eating from my hand and squirrels running up my legs, lol. Thanks :)

well, now, ive never been able to get a chickadee to eat out of my hand before, maybe birds dont like me? lol. the woodpecker is a female downy. I see you live in new york and the skunk cabbage is already comeing out? intresting ill have to check mine to see if its doing the same thing.

wow....I would love to have a bird sit on my finger. :)

Heh, they do that here in Rochester, too. Er, Mendon?

-Ben

Hey those are some interesting mosses behind the skunk cabbage!!
Bet your new camera could really produce some great images of those!!!:0o:

Great photos. Love the cardinal. They are such shy, skittery birds. When I was a little kid, I'd be over my grandmother's house and she'd open the window in a back bedroom and hold her hand out with some food in it (don't know what), call out and a cardinal would come eat out of her hand. One of those old memories you don't ever forget...

very nice

Great shots! Those are sunflower seeds, right?:jester:

you think the cardinal is skittish. Try its close reletive, the blue grosbeak. It is my dream to get a good photo of the male. Its pretty rare around here, and likes to fly at the slightest hint of danger. Get a good photo if that and id be really impressed.

Reference photo for one
blue_grosbeak.jpg

*sigh

@moonflower SKUNK CABBAGE! One of my favorite native plants! Its such a neat plant!

@finch, what is that grosbeak's range??

ra5970.gif

Great plains, south. Species reaches 'fair' densities in this area -the northernmost limits of its range , but i never really see them. And i would notice a blue bird.

I know it doesnt really occur where moonflower is, but i almost never see a photo of it anywhere. Its just my frustration at my inability to catch one on camera that made me mention it- and, the off chance he goes south and catches one on camera! Has anyone else happen to have one on camera? Id love to see it.

Back