What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Couey sentenced to death!

I dunno, Ozzy, this kid is what...16 years old? Not exactly an established master sexual predator. By all means notify the parents and scare the kid, get the word out, but he hasn't broken any laws here. There's a pretty long shot between saying or thinking these things and doing them. At least with things as serious as this.

Jeztor, I know what you're saying about not breaking the law, and that's why I have not called the police, but Ozzy raises a good point. People tend to ignore these things for too long and slaps on the wrist tend to give confidence to molestors to do more. As an FYI, at age 16 one has had plenty of time to become quite predatory. These things often begin with the predator being molested in their youth, becoming violent as this kid did before puberty, and sexually violent later. The victim becomes the victimizer. No excuse but it is not at all a long shot between thinking and saying these things and actually doing them. People like this will often test the waters with a new victim by saying provocative things to see how they will react. If they are quiet as my daughter was, they often become victims.

Just to clarify things, my girl did not spend the night. This happened during the day in just four hours. I dread to think what might have happened to her if she slept over and he had access to her. In talking about this with other parents, we have heard more than one story of girls refusing to go back but not talking to their parents about what happened. I'm glad that my daughter had the guts to tell me about this and I will be far more careful about where I let her go.

I'm sorry if I misinformed everyone about Couey, I THOUGHT he definetly got the death penalty, sorry bout that. Mark Lunsford (Jessica's dad) wants him to get the death penalty, maybe he will. I agree with JLAP though, kids are NOT attractive!

JBL, I'm sorry, I was under the impression that she stayed over, I should have read your post more carefully. Even though this creep did not break any laws (YET!) I still think action should be taken, even if it's just to talk to his parents. I'm very glad that your daughter told you about it, you guys must have a great relationship :)

I agree that the issue should be addressed, and I agree that now is an important time to bring this up, and I think that bringing this all to light is the best way to get the truth.

Two years ago a young girl accused a neighborhood boy here of doing this same thing. The following weeks 4 more girls came forth claiming past incidents. Turns out it was all a lie and nothing ever happened. The little girls realized how much trouble the boy was going to get into and all decided to play along since they "didn't like him".

Now, before you feel offended I'm not suggesting that your daughter is lying, but think of how many parents wrongfully went on crusades against the neighborhood boy because they were "absolutely sure" their child would never lie to them about such a thing.

I think it's important to remember that these are proactive interventions. I just hate to see some 16 year old boy being labeled a potential child molester before the ball is even rolling here.

Well so far Nikki and I agree that children are not sexy. And the rest of you... you have some explaining to do.....

Lol, Sorry I should NOT joke about these things. If he has a record I think that's definately something. I can imagine that he may have just said that to scare her but wasn't serious (BUT! he has a record so that's out).

Bottom line is who cares if he was serious or not? Doesn't matter, you do not joke around like that with little chulluns. Report him, if he's innocent then no problem and he's still 16 so his juvenile records are sealed and this should not affect him at all negatively when he goes out into the world once he's 18 and looking for a job or school. If he did do it then he'll do it again and one day he'll hurt someone.

I don't think that anyone is on the side of "don't say anything". Everyone seems in agreement on bringing this up.

I must have missed the part where it was said this guy has some prior record. From what I can see that's an assumption.

Also, if you're a convicted sexual offender, minor or not, this will place you on the sexual offender registry indefinitely. This is why it's an extremely good idea that there be no doubt, but that part is all handled by professionsals, not speculative parents.

Also, if you're a convicted sexual offender, minor or not, this will place you on the sexual offender registry indefinitely. This is why it's an extremely good idea that there be no doubt, but that part is all handled by professionsals, not speculative parents.

First, I assure you that my daughter did not make this up, and I take no offence. Those things can happen but they are far more rare than sexual molestation. And molestation can and does happen far more often at the hands of a relative or close aquaintance, or brother of a friend etc. than a total stranger like Couey. I'm not sure of the statistics about how many women are the victims of sexual assault either as children or adults, but it is quite high.

I'm a fair minded person and no one is going on a crusade here. My priority is to protect my child from potential harm; it is not to consider the 'rights' of someone who frightens my child.

I'm with you JBL! I was molested when I was 6 years old by my second cousin (my dads cousin) it DOES happen a lot more than we know about.

I was molested when I was 6 years old by my second cousin

I'm SO sorry to hear about that Trapper.

I'm ok now, thanks Farmer_Dave :) I didn't post that to get sympathy, just saying that it does happen probably a lot more than people know about.

Yeah it does happen, it happened to 2 of my old friends. One my an uncle and another by his dad.

Back