What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does SASE mean?

Well... I guess it must be a stupid question, but keep in mind I don't live in the US and my first language is not english... what does SASE mean?

Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.

The idea is that you send an envelope that has your address on it and is payed for to a person inside of another an envelope so that they can send you plants/whatever in back to you without having to pay postage or worry about making out an envelope for you.

You can find pictures on google if you want an explanation in picture-form.

Self Adressed Stamped Envelope.

If you sent someone a SASE you'd make an evelope with a thank you note inside and put a stamp on it and put your address on it, don't seal it! Then you'd put that envelope in another envelope with a stamp and the other person's address on it, seal that one.

Ahhh I'm so slow... EST you can delete this post please.

---
Clint, I'll leave this post un-deleted. Sometimes hearing the same thing explained two different ways is helpful. Thanks for being slo- uuhhh I mean, thanks for your reply. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Thanks for the answers. But they give rise to a new question. If I live outside the US, is it impossible for me to send a SASE? (due to the stamps being different... i guess)

Extra stamps should do it or do a prepaid postage dealio if you have that there.

I did make a joke about baking soda and a Columbia stamp but I didn't want you to think it was offensive lol.

It depends on where you live and what exactly you are trying to receive in the SASE. If it's something like nep seeds or something light you should be fine; however, it might be beneficial to throw an extra stamp or two on there if it is slightly heavier than a normal letter. I think one stamp covers one ounce. Not sure about that, though. And I'm not completely sure about air mail...

xvart.

I asked the same question when I was brand new to the forums. I also asked what a PM is and what an avatar is and....

I don't believe that you can use a Colombian stamp on a sase that will be returned from the United States. Doesn't it have to be a US stamp for the post office to send it. I thought that was why foreign (to US) companies often ask for international reply coupons - to buy stamps in their country to mail back to the US.

You can buy an IRC - International Response Coupons which are essentially universal postage stamps and should be honored by almost every postal service in the world. You probably need two.

Many P.O. will not accept IRC these days. If someone asks for SASE and you live outside the US then consider PMing them and explaining your situation. Many people here are generous and understanding and will try to help you out if they can.

Back