What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

part two (PLEASE READ!) : Just a thought.. But would members be interested in.....

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello all. It seems some of you are confused as to what I'm thinking as far as the premium membership idea. First, please understand- THESE FORUMS ARE FREE AND THEY WILL BE FREE AS THEY ARE NOW TO ANYONE NOT WANTING TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBER. What I'm offering is for a fee (to be discussed) you would get some additional features, like:
-your name in gold (other color?)
-Access to buy / sell forum (buying and selling ONLY allowed in this forum, only 1 open topic per person at a time, 6 items listed for sale at a time per topic, and it is NOT for people who have stores (you cannot link to your store etc there may be another option for you guys later down the road though)
-Close own threads all over forums (A mod will still need to open your threads, this may change though)
-150 MB (157286400 bytes) of upload space where you can upload pictures directly to topics rather than needing to use other hosting services. (I've made it so pictures uploaded using this feature show up as thumbs. Right now you can post 10 of these in a post. Since I got thumbs working.. That may be increased)
-Can store 200 PMs (instead of 75)

Is that more clear? Plain and simple: You like it the way it is, GREAT! it stays like that! Want to help support the forums and get the features listed above at the same time? GREAT! how much would you be willing to spend a year on that (so far it's looking like $20 from the other topic). So, those of you that said "yes" in the other topic, still interested knowing that? And those of you that said "No" Still thinking no? If it is still not clear please let me know. I really don't know how else to say it.

Andrew

Try plain English, Andrew!!

Bug, please translate. ???

ill try...
-- the forums will be free. the extra features will be an extra fee
-- if you dont want to be a premium member. you dont have to be. therefore. you dont have to pay for ANYTHING unless you want the new features that Andrew has so graciously given us the chance to get.
-- with the uploads and thumbs for the premium members. check my last 3 posts. 2 in the utric forum and 1 in the Sarracenia forum. youll see how amazing this new feature(for the premium members) is.

i hope that summed some of it... i hope andrew dosent ninja post or i dont ninja post....
Alex

It can’t be stated any clearer, Andrew. I thought the first topic was clear enough…
I did read the previous topic but did not post, so here I go in this one. I think $20-25 is a very fair price range, and is what I would be willing to pay for the premium member features. I am particularly interested in the name color change(LOL), the buy/sell forum, and the upload space.

If this does become available someday count me in!

-Joel

Contrary to how it may have appeared before I *do* think it's a good idea to devise a way for members to become more involved. I also didn't notice until now that you currently cannot buy or sell on these forums (only trade) and that is indeed a valuable feature to have included for premium members.

I would like to ask, though, if you had considered what I mentioned before about possibly tying this in with another organization. I'd be willing to spend another $5 on top of the premium price if I I knew that the money was going to some type of conservancy.

Example: "Upgrade to a premium membership for $25 per year and you get all these cool extra features. PLUS, $5 of your money will go toward *insert reputable CP conservancy*!"

What do you think?

This sounds like a great idea!

$20 seems a bit steep, but then, I'm a cheapskate.

We'll just have to see.

I still say yes. Although, something has to be done about the colour of those premium names- I don't see "blinding members" under the perks list. LOL 20 bucks is more than fair, though! I'm particularly giddy to be able to open and close my threads. :p Oh, and once instated, will there we a way that a member can toggle the gold name on/off?

EST, you can already open close topics you goof. I think prem members will be able to close, but a mod will still have to open. And no, whatever color is picked... Will be the color. Visit the other topic "why is my name yellow?" to see disscussion about colors..

So, those of you that said "yes" in the other topic, still interested knowing that?

Yes, I would still be interested in upgrading my free membership account to the $20 per year premium membership account for the reasons stated above.

im still in...................anywhere in the $20-$35 range works for me........

I would personally not bother paying adnedarn...I know I probably should to support terraforums but I can host pics and so on at imageshack. If anything....if you can give 150 MB of webspace so that we can make our own personal ad free website...then I think its more appealing to me. :)

I am okay with the price but what about us poor kids? Lol Maybe keept it at $20 but give the option of paying $5 a month for 4 month ten dollars over two month or $2 dollars a month over ten? IDK just an idea.

Again 20 bucks is more than enough, heck i really think it could go higher..

When you think about it the 20 or so people who sign up are contributing about 400 dollars to the forum... Well its more like to that special feature they want, but you know how that goes.

I might want to get that.:scratch:

I'd also like to add, and correct me if I'm wrong Andrew, but the buy/sell forum will only be VISIBLE to premium members. Regular members will not be able to see that forum.

As for part of the Premium fee being donated to an organization...in a way, it will be. TF supports NASC with donated forum space, as well as information in the Conservation forum to news and updates on various conservation issues. You also get notices and sometimes reports/photo from the meetings of different CP societies as well as interesting field trip reports. So TF offers some avenues on the conservation front.

I say its a worthy cause to support something you find as a helpful and fun resource. I think its a great idea!

PAK- You're correct, ONLY premium members will see the buy sell forum. It will NOT be able to be disscussed outside of that forum. So if you wanna see it, and or use it, you must be premium.

And thanks for providing the link to my running the forums and supporting a "cause" without actually giving them money. (What you said is what I was thinking but didn't know how to word it. hehe) I'd rather not have another thing like that to try and keep straight.
Andrew

Mods cannot see them if we don't pay money??? Unfair to the poor!! I protest!!!! I love the idea, but it leaves me in the cold. I hate bein' cold!

I think it seems like a good idea... BUT... I don't like the idea of being able to "buy" mod powers like that. Being able to close topics because you paid just kinda urks me for some reason. I sense power abuse and trouble... I mean judging by this community there shouldn't be much problems but... it could happen.

I dunno, call me paranoid but I thought I'd just throw that in there.

Chrono, read it again bud. You can close your OWN TOPICS. The reason for that is simple. In the buy / sell forum, you need to be able to close your topic when the offer is over :) They will not be able to go and close your topic. MOD powers are NOT being sold here. Lets please keep that clear. Thanks for bringing up the question though, incase someone else was sitting back thinking the same thing.

And bug, of course you would be able to see the forums. You need to be able to moderate it. hehe I'm sure there will be a "mod disscount" (prolly free, unless you still wanna "donate" the funds that's fine by me too.) since you guys basically "work" here for me :p
Andrew

Back