What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"new" interpertation of endangerd species act

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date

Finch

Whats it to ya?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17687161/

Bush administration issued a new interpretation of the Endangered Species Act that would allow it to protect plants and animals only in areas where they are struggling to survive, while ignoring places they are healthy or have already died out.

If upheld by the court ... the new policy would remove 80 percent of the roughly 1,300 species from threatened and endangered lists — because most species have at least one stronghold where they are doing well.
It's just so clearly illogical and anti-wildlife that I can't wait to get this before a federal judge," Suckling said. "They are rewarding industry for driving populations extinct. Because as soon as you drive a population extinct (in a certain area) it is no longer on the table. It no longer counts toward whether a species is endangered."

I would be remiss not to note that no carnivorus plants would make the new requierments for federal protetion under the revision. Whats that- in thre green swamp? Plants are not struggling t survive, so plow right on through. Any of these plants have a stronghold with a healthy population? Sorry, the specis is no longer protected *cough*

It seems... several endangerd pitcherplants are about to loose their protected status

Bush Administration...
Science=/=Politics---- Seems “certain” people have trouble understanding that.

Anyway, I don’t think it will have a chance at passing.

I dont think its the kind of act that needs to get passed by the legeslaive branch

My respect for bush just dropped 9,000 points. And it's only a scale of 1-100. I didn't even capitalize his name. :p

It's never been above 0 before.

I think Chris Rock said it best when he was asked if America is ready for a black president. He said "Sure, why not, we just had a retarded one."

Elaborating on my point above… The thing that irritates me the most is that politics think they can just go ahead and influence (or sometimes even create) laws and regulations regarding the environment, when all they are in for is the money and the publicity. People with actual degrees in biology, climatology, biogeography, etc. should be the ones that directly create regulations and laws that affect issues like endangered species and global warming.
I was watching Hannity and Colmes today and they were criticizing Al Gore for being a hypocrite (for the reasons stated in a previous topic that was posted here some days ago). They wasted like 15 minutes talking about his home’s electrical usage, using their statistics, saying that he’s a loser, that he’s making things worse, etc, etc, and they completely override what is really important: global warming IS happening! They don’t care about global warming all they want is more viewers tuning in to their heated debates, and in a way, all politicians are like this when it comes to issues pertaining to wildlife and the environment.

bush is such a freaking idiot. :mad: ..

i really dont know what to say to that, bush is just... uhhg, omg the bush administration has no idea about any thing except war, thats what daddy raised him to do i guess huh?

can we selectivly apply that thinking?...................save all Sarrs but gray wolves in the lower 48 are fair game?

i really dont know what to say to that, bush is just... uhhg, omg the bush administration has no idea about any thing except war, thats what daddy raised him to do i guess huh?

Don't be silly! He also raised him to snort coke and drive drunk.

So wait a second... with his past record he would have had a hard time getting a job at burger kind if he was a "normal person" but he wins not one election, but two, and that's AFTER he starts a war we won't win?

Is it me?

So wait a second... with his past record he would have had a hard time getting a job at burger kind if he was a "normal person"

dude you havent see the types that work at fast food places...........seems to me he would fit in quite well :grin:

Jalp, he won one election not two.

dude you havent see the types that work at fast food places...........seems to me he would fit in quite well :grin:
I have to agree with you rattler.

One thing I want to make clear. Most people think Bush is from Texas. I want to defend the great state of Texas. The Bush Family moved to Texas from Maine.
He is not a son of the south, he's just a Yankee.

Ozzy..................glad you agree with me.........my last order at KFC was damn near to painfull to watch...............ive run regular tills for over 10 years......cant see the confusion when the till tells you what button to push......its not like they have to remember the prices of things. hell when i worked at the greenhouse here i had to memorize all the prices of plants soils and pots.....we did have a cheat sheet but with one till in the place it was much easier just to memorize everything cause the place was busier than heck during May.........

So, is this just an informative article saying this is the way its going to work in the future, or is there something that we as concerned advocates of wildlife can do? I only ask because there was an article in the Sunday Orlando Sentinel about a new development in an ecologically sensitive area building a 500 slip marina in the middle of a manatee congragating area. I read so many of these type things that relate the problem but never have a "this is what you can do to help" section.

I read so many of these type things that relate the problem but never have a "this is what you can do to help" section.

the reason for this is because the newspapers/news programs are only interested in tearing down a person they hate and actually dont care one lick about the actual problem. they hate Bush so they are using this against him(im not saying that what bush is doing is "right" though if it lets MT cut down on the number of wolves then great......the damn things arent endangered and are doing a piss poor job of managing game populations)......however they themselves dont give a crap about endangered species so they didnt take the time to come up with a solution.........

On topic, under this new "legislation" would that mean I could develop all over areas with bald eagles and sarrs and other things as long as they were thriving in that area? Then, when I get down to only 5% of the area left habitable by these creatures they would then not be thriving and I would have to stop? I think this is idiotic. Are we really that crazed to build condos and shopping malls? It's really funny especially since most areas have developing codes that require a certain percentage of the facility or space to be for landscaping and fountains and trees. Why not just keep the natural beauty?

Now, to join in the slightly off-topic-ness: When Bush Jr. was interning at his father's white house he stumbled across a memo that told Bush Sr. that if he declared as an evangelical born-again Christian he would lock up reelection with that population. Obviously Bush Sr. did not, but shortly thereafter guess who declared to be a born again Christian?

I think Chris Rock said it best when he was asked if America is ready for a black president. He said "Sure, why not, we just had a retarded one."

LOL.

xvart.

Well of course he would. Gay candidate gets the GLBT vote, Hilary gets the female vote, Obama gets the black vote, and the born-again Christian gets the evangelical vote.

Colbert for president!

Back