What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the varmit season has started..........

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
PAK as far as i know black bears are hunted in every state in which they are found. they are one of those animals, like white tail deer, that dont do to bad around ppl............

Deer are like rabbits around here but you don't see/hear much about bears except maybe up in the mountains. They ARE around here but rather elusive. So...I just would have thought they would be a little protected since they aren't all over in large numbers. To ME, its one thing to shoot gopher who number in the thousands but to shoot a huge, beautiful bear just to brag on it and/or stuff it... :( To take away its life so you can show how skilled you were killing an animal that had no chance against a powerful rifle. And from what I've heard...bear isn't good eating meat. That bear might have had family. :(

And from what I've heard...bear isn't good eating meat.

depends on what theyve been eating...................

black bears are doing fine in the US and have maintained if not expanded their range a bit as they arent really bothered by ppl. even where there are lots of bears they are nowhere as thick as deer can be. their diets are different.

I forget whether I was in Maine or Mississippi at the time, but someone told me that most bear were shot by hunters who were out for deer but saw a bear first. Many of them would decide to take it to a taxidermist for a bearskin rug or some such thing and, by the time they got over the shock of learning how much that would cost, it was too late to salvage any meat. I had bear meat at least once and thought it was pretty good. Not like that fishy & stringy bald eagle meat. Don't even bother saving those after you shoot them.

bald eagle??? i thought that it was illegal to hunt a bald eagle. learn something new everyday i suppose. also shows how much i know about hunting lol. even tho i do support the NRA. i like buffalo meat. and gator meat is good too tastes like tough chicken. or chicken flavored chewing gum lol anyway dude you need to come over to my house and do some target practice over here i got so much wildlife (pests) i don't wanna poision them ground squirrels, tree squirrels, fox, deer, rats the size of my head in the dogs kennel outside, bats, moles, chipmunks. just to name a few. you can shoot the bird that perces in the tree outside my bedroom window and starts chirping at 12 in the am:poke:

Last edited:
Supposedly Bald Eagles are being taken off the endangered list, but they are still protected, you cannot shoot them to my knowledge. Its a federal law. Bear meat is supposedly good, but I wouldn't make it a regular part of my diet. Bears are a nuisance and hazard up where our hunting camp is and shooting them is encouraged. The only reason for this is because the NYSDEC has been trapping nuisance bears and releasing them into the Adirondacks in an effort to relocate them. Well its not very useful if they are relocating them to where people still are present!

Heh, I haven't much to say about hunting, although while reading these stories, the add at the top of the screen was one for a '3D Deer Hunting Game'.

Personally, I see no difference between killing a bear and killing a rodent, other than the fact that one copulates more often than the other. Both are still lives. I'm not against hunting though.

-Ben

Google gives us advertisements based on what words appear in these posts. Often I get an advertisement for hammocks though.

Supposedly Bald Eagles are being taken off the endangered list

i wouldnt doubt it, they are firly common around here. a few years ago while my wife and i were looking for my FIL down on the river bottom where he was cutting firewood, we happened towalk up to the river bank which was roughly 10 feet above the river with a small bank below where a dead deer happened to be washed up against a tangle of driftwood. we scared up 3 adult and 2 immature bald eagles........when they flew up i dang near could have reached out and touched one of them...........was awesome to see.

we also see them quite often along the highways eating road kill.

I remember on the Daily Show or Colbert Report they had some old lady in Alaska or some northern place and there were like 50-150 BE's there and she fed them. It was AWESOME to see all of those beautiful birds!\

Correction! Not 50-150, but 200-300 eagles! http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/JeanKeene.html

Eagles are AWSOME birds. Very majestic. I've seen one...driving over the James River I caught a glimpse of one soaring along the river. My jaw dropped. Although they have made a comeback, that's not something I'd ever expect to see. I love to see more.

rattler, what state are you in? Funny you guys actually have a varmit season. In Texas, you need a license, but you can kill them any time of the year for any reason

even anti-hunters might have left this thread seeing shooting as a good way to control animal populations.

LOL. That's just an excuse to attempt to justify the pleasure gotten from blasting small rodents (and bigger). At least Rattler doesn't hid the fact he loves to wipe small creatures from the planet, preferably making a nice hole through the head.

Immoral in my opinion, but at least you don't hide your bloodthirsty side! :-O

phission: no real season here, however they do hibernate during the winter and cant shoot them.

Alexis: i see no reason to argue...............

Back