What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i've got a notebook next to my terrarium, and even though im up to nearly 30 plants now, im still a total newbie at this. so, whenever a question pops into my head, i write it down. this is what i've compiled so far this month, if you guys could help me out at all, that would be great :hail:

1- do mexican pings need their succulent-dormancy like sarracenia need their dormancy?

2- i still dont know what live sphagnum looks like. i think i MAY have some though. i bought a ping from lowes, just because it was cheap. when i opened the little box, there were green shoots about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long coming out the ENDS of the dead sphagnum. is this live sphag, and if so, will it take if i lay it out on top of a peat base?

3- i keep some of the pots in my terrarium in water trays, with about an inch of standing water. is this neccessary for water-crazy plants in a high-humidity (70%) terrarium?

4- whats the easiest way to repot rosetted plants with tiny roots? (like esseriana)

5- i want to move some of my larger nepenthenes outside. where should i hang them in terms of shade?

6- wheres a good place to buy M-H lights?

7- is there any way to stop my capensis from flowering?!?!?!

8- i want a *SMALL* type of nepenthene. any ideas?

thats all for now... thanks!

Well let me take a stab at a question or two...

SphagnumMoss-big.jpg

3. Yes even though the humidity is high, I'd still keep them in an inch of water. It really depends on the CP. Any VFT or Sarr should definately be in the trays but some pings don't like it and I don't think any neps like it. Most dews like it as well.

7. Well.. you could cut off the flower stalk... but chances are it'll just send up another one. XD

8. I know there's a couple small species of nepenthes but uhh.. i don't know any of them. T-T N. ampularia (sp?) is one I think???

how big are those? i need size comparison. thats where i get mixed up =P the ones that i have are very thin, wispy things. maybe not even a millimeter thick... about an inch or two long. the biggest one has little branches coming off it.

5- Nepenthes can be started out in shade, maybe a southern part of your house (outdoors of course) that is shady. Once they get used to being out side after about 2 weeks you can move them to a less shady spot. Ive seen people who live in California have some of their nepenthes out in FULL sun.

IMO- I think its to much of a hassle to move them out side, just get a proper growing set up for them and you wont have too.

1- do mexican pings need their succulent-dormancy like sarracenia need their dormancy?
nope! its not a law. and its not dormancy. its just a way the ping copes with the drier conditions

2- i still dont know what live sphagnum looks like. i think i MAY have some though. i bought a ping from lowes, just because it was cheap. when i opened the little box, there were green shoots about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long coming out the ENDS of the dead sphagnum. is this live sphag, and if so, will it take if i lay it out on top of a peat base?
yes its live sphagnum. sphagnum grows really slow so dont expect much from it. you can lay it on anything sphagnum based(peat or LFS)

3- i keep some of the pots in my terrarium in water trays, with about an inch of standing water. is this neccessary for water-crazy plants in a high-humidity (70%) terrarium?
i dont quite know what your asking....but they dont have to sit in trays full time. what i do is when they need water i take them out put them in a tray of whater. let them soak for about 2mins and i put them back.

4- whats the easiest way to repot rosetted plants with tiny roots? (like esseriana)
butterworts are easy to transplant. just pluck and place! roots grow back easily so dont worry about breaking any off.

5- i want to move some of my larger nepenthenes outside. where should i hang them in terms of shade?
under a tree that gets dappled sun or morning sun

NO IT WILL TAKE OVER!!!!!!! just snip the stalk off

8- i want a *SMALL* type of nepenthes. any ideas?
depends what growing conditions you have. lowlander would be N. campanulata or belli. highland would be...well not much. supposedly the hybrid N. muluensis x lowii stays compact. i dont know for sure because i dont grow it...

Alex

Some answers from someone with many years experience :)

This is not so much a dormancy as a state of growth. If your plant switches phase then there is nothing you can do to stop it. Most people advocatedrying the plant during this phase but there are some (Joseph) who grow wet year round.

This one has been covered.

A better way IMHO is to do away with the trays and just put the water straight into the terrarium :) BUt other than that, yes you should keep the pots in water for most all genera exceptions being Neps, Drosophyllum.

Very carfefully :p Seriously, the best way I have found is to prep a new pt and then use tweezers to lift the plant out of the old pot. Use your thumb to make a small depression in the new pot and set the plant in then place your thumb and forefinger into the media just outside the diameter of the plant and make a pinching motion, that pushes the media around the roots.

Where ever you want so long as it is within reach of the hose. And I am being serious here. I grow most of my lowlanders outdoors here during spring thru fall (as long as nights are over 50). All of them go on my deck and usually get between 3-7 hours direct sun depending on the time of year. When I first move them out I use a bit of shade cloth to keep them from burning but after that they get full sun ful time.

Try HydroFarms, that is where I got mine. I recomend the AgriSun Pro, good cheap model.

Already covered

8- i want a *SMALL* type of nepenthene. any ideas?

As stated before, conditoins may dictate species so do your research but inermis, gymnamphoria and glabrata make good highlanders and stay smaller. There are others that stay small for a while: diatas, lowii being among mine. And some of the hybrids are compact too.

I only want to cover one question. Capensis flowering. There IS a way to stop it from flowering. Put it outside, full sun under hot conditions, no water, and allow it to dry out completely. After it is shriveled up, dry as a bone, and totally dead, it will never flower again. Otherwise, cut them off as they appear.

you with LOVE metal halide and wonder why you didn't go HID sooner. They are fantastical.

I've got a sunlight supply one.

nope.................ive got one that jimscott sent me that seems to think it needs to go into succulent mode though it hasnt dried out. ive got others that have been in a tray with water for going on 3 years, never have recieved a dry period

3 - i keep some of the pots in my terrarium in water trays, with about an inch of standing water. is this neccessary for water-crazy plants in a high-humidity (70%) terrarium?

Depends on the plants. For most plants, the combination of high humidity and wet roots will cause fungus problems and/or root rot. Utrics would like it though.

4 - whats the easiest way to repot rosetted plants with tiny roots? (like esseriana). Carefully lift it out of the soil in the first pot and stick it into a small hole in the second pot. Several gentle squirts from a spray bottle, set on fine stream, around the base of the plant will help settle the soil in around the roots.

I hang my N. ventricosa in dappled shade.

YES! Set the plant out in full sun. Next, get a propane torch and apply the flame to the plant until there is nothing left but ashes. A little more drastic than Bugweeds, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

Back