What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Gnats?

I was taking a rather close look at my ceph pot today and noticed quite a few of these little buggers crawling around. A quick look at my other pots show signs of a widespread problem.

I did a little searching and they look like fungus gnat larvae to me. should these be dealt with or can they be safely ignored?

img3113jt0.jpg

Yes, that's fungus gnat a larva. They can and will munch on the root hairs. An imidocloprid based insecticide should get rid of them temporarily because they'll be back. Plant some dews in or around the pots which will keep the adult gnats population down. I don't know how effective terrestrial Utriculara are with the larvae.

Will putting them in separate pots help if you put them next to each other? I really don't want to repot my VFT with my sundew, since I have this problem too.

Never mind. I don't have these. Just some other small bugs that crawl around real fast and are REALLY small.

Yeah, just put pots of sundews around your others.

The critters you have are probably springtails. Those are generally harmless.

Back