What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is the reason for my rant..............

It doesn't matter if you'd ever need to. It does NOT matter. What matters is you should be able to have one. What If I wanted to target practice in a shooting range with a gun like that? SO WHAT? What does it have to do with you?

yah going to make me defend the argument on two separate posts Finch? :grin:

the act of owning a 50 round magazine in and of itself is not a threat to anyone. as Steve pointed out you can reload with smaller capacity mags just as well.......................soooooooo if it makes no difference which you use why outlaw one, create more bureaucratic red tape just for the sake of creating it? owning 50 round magazines will have no bearing on the crime rate.

It doesn't matter if you'd ever need to. It does NOT matter. What matters is you should be able to have one. What If I wanted to target practice in a shooting range with a gun like that? SO WHAT? What does it have to do with you?
]

SO WHAT?? If Seung-Hui Cho had really wanted to, he could have killed hundreds more if he had just switched to the weapons that are being discussed. So YOU want to use the shooting range for it. So what? Why should these weapons be available to people, some of whom may have just not snapped yet? Why make it easier for others to cause harm. It has to do with everybody, you and me included.

owning 50 round magazines will have no bearing on the crime rate.

Well it depends if you would call the higher potential for killing more people in a massacre 'crime'

if some one wants to kill large numbers of ppl they will always use the same two methods, bombs and arson. they dont use guns for high numbers of casualties.

Well it depends if you would call the higher potential for killing more people in a massacre 'crime'

please re-read the part under "Assult Rifles" in my long arse post.............

if some one wants to kill large numbers of ppl they will always use the same two methods, bombs and arson. they dont use guns for high numbers of casualties.

What fantasy world is that in? I can think of several instances off the top of my head that dont confide to such 'rules'

I think that Sheridan means large as in like... hundreds.

32 ppl is less than a 50 round magazine................and its supposidly the deadliest mass shooting in recent history..........a 50 round magazine was not used in the shooting..........their for banning high capacity magazines does nothing.....

no i dont consider 32 ppl a large amount. the large body counts belong to serial killers who kill one person at a time or bombers.............gun control laws protect you from neither...........hell with in 5 miles of me there is enough diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate to make the Oklahoma City bombing look like a firecracker........

The McDonald's shooting - On July 18, 1984, James Huberty killed 21 people and wounded 19 others in a San Ysidro, California, McDonald's using an UZI assault pistol and a shotgun.9

The Stockton schoolyard massacre - On January 17, 1989, Patrick Purdy killed 5 small children and wounded 29 others and a teacher at the Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, California, using a semiautomatic version of the AK-47 assault rifle imported from China. That weapon had been purchased from a gun dealer in Oregon and was equipped with a 75-round "drum" magazine. Purdy shot 106 rounds in less than 2 minutes.10

The Louisville, Kentucky, workplace massacre - On September 14, 1989, Joseph Wesbecker killed 7 people and wounded 13 others at his former place of work in Louisville, Kentucky, before taking his own life. Mr. Wesbecker was armed with an AK-47 rifle, two MAC-11 assault pistols, and a duffle-bag full of ammunition.11

The CIA headquarters shootings - On January 25, 1993, Pakistani national Mir Aimal Kasi killed 2 CIA employees and wounded 3 others outside the entrance to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. Kasi used a Chinese-made semiautomatic AK-47 assault rifle equipped with a 30-round magazine purchased from a Northern Virginia gun store.12

The Branch-Davidian standoff in Waco, Texas - On February 28, 1993, while attempting to serve federal search and arrest warrants at the Branch-Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, four ATF special agents were killed and 16 others were wounded with an arsenal of assault weapons. According to a federal affidavit, the cult had accumulated at least the following assault weapons: 123 AR-15s, 44 AK-47s, 2 Barrett .50 calibers, 2 Street Sweepers, an unknown number of MAC-10 and MAC-11s, 20 100-round drum magazines, and 260 large-capacity banana clips. The weapons were bought legally from gun dealers and at gun shows.13

The San Francisco Pettit & Martin shootings - On July 1, 1993, Gian Luigi Ferri killed 8 people and wounded 6 others at the San Francisco law offices of Pettit & Martin and other offices at 101 California Street. Ferri used two TEC-DC9 assault pistols with 50-round magazines. These weapons had been purchased from a pawnshop and a gun show in Nevada.14

also, law enforcement reported that assault weapons were the "weapons of choice" for drug traffickers, gangs, terrorists, and paramilitary extremist groups

Well DUH! What else are they going to use? BB guns?

also, law enforcement reported that assault weapons were the "weapons of choice" for drug traffickers, gangs, terrorists, and paramilitary extremist groups

FInch if your not going to read my GD post quite trying to argue with me............i presented plenty of GD facts that weapons seized by police departments around the damn country show that "assult weapons" make up well under 10% of the weapons seized..............these were numbers taken from the police departments themselves...........

as far as Waco, the government went in to confiscate weapons that had NEVER been used in the commission of a violent crime, they were trying to take away. the only crime that was committed was the fact that they were in possesion of firearms that the gov't said they couldnt have. it was the gov't choice to make that a deadly situation.

The San Francisco Pettit & Martin shootings - On July 1, 1993, Gian Luigi Ferri killed 8 people and wounded 6 others at the San Francisco law offices of Pettit & Martin and other offices at 101 California Street. Ferri used two TEC-DC9 assault pistols with 50-round magazines. These weapons had been purchased from a pawnshop and a gun show in Nevada

this firearm was illegal in California at the time...................California gun laws did not stop the shooting

The CIA headquarters shootings - On January 25, 1993, Pakistani national Mir Aimal Kasi killed 2 CIA employees and wounded 3 others outside the entrance to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. Kasi used a Chinese-made semiautomatic AK-47 assault rifle equipped with a 30-round magazine purchased from a Northern Virginia gun store.12

2 ppl killed and 3 wounded? this could have been done with a 6 shot revolver or any other firearm for that matter, why in the hell is this even in your list?

i still say its the person and not the weapon that makes the difference..................anyone with half a brain and is a decent shot could rack up similar numbers with a SINGLE SHOT RIFLE

Waco was a tragedy and the government really screwed up on that one.

FInch if your not going to read my GD post quite trying to argue with me............i presented plenty of GD facts that weapons seized by police departments around the damn country show that "assult weapons" make up well under 10% of the weapons seized..............these were numbers taken from the police departments themselves...........
Yeh i read the thing but MOST arrests where a gun is confiscated do not involve drug traffickers, gangs, terrorists, or paramilitary extremist groups, so whats your point?

i still say its the person and not the weapon that makes the difference..................anyone with half a brain and is a decent shot could rack up similar numbers with a SINGLE SHOT RIFLE

Duh. And how many more could said person do with a assault rifle. Thats my point

Finch if you look at my numbers, specifically out of Chicago and Miami the guns confinscation was done by narcotic officers. that would be drug busts.

as far as "paramilitary extremist groups" name one that started an engagement on US soil........Waco and Ruby Ridge were started by the gov't.

as far as terrorists..............all the terrorist acts done on US soil that i can think of involved bombs or planes

Duh. And how many more could said person do with a assault rifle. Thats my point

BUT THEY ARENT!................hell the VT shooter used HANDGUNS to rack up the highest body count in recent history for a shooting on US soil.

BUT THEY ARENT!................hell the VT shooter used HANDGUNS to rack up the highest body count in recent history for a shooting on US soil.

I think the point is if he had one of those guns he could've easily slew entire classrooms with no problem. It would've been an even higher body count. I'm probably jumping in here since I haven't really been paying attention to these threads so excuse me if that is the case.

xvart.

Actually, so-called "Assault Rifles" are not as easy to control as everyone thinks they are... you go wildly pulling the trigger and you ain't hittin much except the walls and the ceiling. Look at that fool who opened up with an AK in a mall in Upstate, NY last year. Sadly he hurt the Army Recruiter there but he hit nobody else after dumping a 30 rd. mag.

xvart......................my point is these firearms have been widly availible since atleast the 50's(which is when Stoner allowed Colt to produce AR-15 for the civilian market) they are used for well under 10% of gun crimes.............sometimes well under 5%........those using them for crime are generally ppl who shouldnt legally have a firearm anyway. they are breaking the law just holding it.............................your not going to get these ppl to follow any laws, that is the reason they are criminals. making more laws does nothing but take firearms away from law abiding citizens cause the bad guys arent going to turn theirs in anyways.............

Well I'm sure that the fact that he put a lot of rounds in walls does not hold a lot weight for limiting gun control. I don't see gun control coming to a halt based on "guns that miss people more often than not."

xvart.

Back