What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

School Shootings (warning: graphic content inside)

• Thread starter NeciFiX
  • Start date

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
I'm sure some of you remember Columbine and now Tech shooting and the Bath School Disaster, it's just sickening.

http://en.wikipedia.org - Find information there.

Also, there is the Red Lake School Massacre, which is even near me, the 4th most dangerous school shooting in the US, after Columbine, the University of Texas Massacre, and the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Er, nicely graphic NeciFix.

We're not sure about appropriateness to be honest - any objections by members?

I, personally, find this sort of morbid for the sake of being morbid. And that is offensive to me. I know there are some people out there that are jusy facinated by disturbing things like this but I don't think it is fair of them to subject us to their "interests"

I am sure everyone has had thoughts of these past instances and how they somewhat relate to recent events but to put it out to dwell on and to list each person who died and how... I do not really see any really valid reason to post it other than for shock value. And I already said in PAK's thread that this is not a time for sensationalism.

My thoughts anyways

Last edited:
Why is the truth disturbing? Most of this is copied from Wikipedia. I think if people cannot comprehend the truth then they shouldn't discuss it. The first eye witnesses are from there and true, and all the lines copied.

The truth often is disturbing.

I don't think it is the fact that we are unable to comprehend the truth. What is the "truth" that you are trying to promote? The truth that a lot of innocent people have died? If anyone doesn't know that already then he or she lives under a rock and is a total moron.

xvart.

I don't think it is the fact that we are unable to comprehend the truth. What is the "truth" that you are trying to promote? The truth that a lot of innocent people have died? If anyone doesn't know that already then he or she lives under a rock and is a total moron.

xvart.

Just so Xvart.

I think if people cannot comprehend the truth then they shouldn't discuss it

We all know what happened so why post more on it, and in such a graphic manner, other than to force others to dwell on your morbid interest. What is next in helping us "comprehend the truth"? Will you post pictures of the victim's bodies?? After all, using your arguments, that would make it so much easier for us to "comprehend" the horror.

Do not presume that I can not comprehend the truth. I comprehend it a hell of a lot better than you know. If you really want to cross swords with me then tell me the names of the 4 people arrested at Columbine and why they were arrested. Anyone can copy and paste "factoids", that does not mean you actually "know" anything

And seriously, do not tell me what I should and should not discuss.

I think you can discuss the tragedy and trends of mass murder events without outlining the gore in such graphic detail. That's not needed to make a point. Its more sensationalism than points of discussion.

This is a forum... if a thread is inappropriate delete it. If you personally find it offensive don't read it.

This forum is Moderated by consensus.

I found the thread inappropriate but while I have the power to delete it I recognize that my feelings alone are not just enough reason to enact that power. So I asked the other Mods for opinions and Alexis chose to see if any members found it offensive. I posted my objections because they were asked for.

The Mods are not totalitarian, the last thing we want is to become GardenWeb.

I think you can discuss the tragedy and trends of mass murder events without outlining the gore in such graphic detail. That's not needed to make a point. Its more sensationalism than points of discussion.

yep. totally agree. a listing of the names would've been fine.

yep. totally agree. a listing of the names would've been fine.

agree also.

Personally, I have always found it annoying when people just cut and paste large volumes of information and post it. Seeing a large list of names does not help me comprehend the causes of these attacks anymore than a listing of all the dead would help me understand the political situation that resulted in World War II. As to if I find it offensive don't read it - I have to read it to find it offensive and by that time its already too late- I'm already offended or I have realized I've wasted my time reading a senseless list. I either already remember the incident or if I don't the list merely tells a list of victim names which I find serves no purpose. This is just my opinion - but I'm sticking to it.

This is a forum... if a thread is inappropriate delete it. If you personally find it offensive don't read it.

I agree with that but there is no warning in the topic title that there is graphic description in the text, not giving the reader a chance to "not read it" until they are already there.

As to if I find it offensive don't read it - I have to read it to find it offensive and by that time its already too late

Most people make a note there for things like graphic text or pics or if there are tons of pics as a warning for dial-up users.

Personally I see such gruesome detail as being more sensational or for "gross out" factor than essential for discussion.

Here's an idea... edit the topic title. "This is probably going to offend you...". That seems to be the consensus.

maybe you dont quite understand why people are offended. maybe we should cover how they maximze there "kill", lol you digust me.

Personally, I have always found it annoying when people just cut and paste large volumes of information and post it.

I agree also. If anything, post a couple quotes of what is most important to your topic, and then reference the rest of it in a link where people can follow up if they want to. When I see huge long quotes from other sites and nothing else, like no personal opinion or commentary it is certainly annoying because I probably have already read all that on a news site already. If I have not, or it's something a little more obscure, I am more interested in hearing what the author has to say and reading about the issue or topic at my own leisure. As to the questionable content, a list of names would have been sufficient if you were starting a mourning thread, but listing names and how they specifically died is totally for sensation sake. Of course, that comes from probably just cut and pasting...

I'm sure some of you remember Columbine and now Tech shooting and the Bath School Disaster...

I'm sure you are aware of the Columbine incident...

I'm also sure you have heard of the University of Texas Massacre...

If you are so sure we are aware of all the information you are posting, what is the purpose of telling us again unless you have something else to add?

...obviously it's speeding up, something needs to be done, ideas?

Here is a legitimate question for discussion, but does not require the breadth of the original post to get at.

I think, as mentioned in a couple other posts already, we need to increase personal communication and interaction among our youth. Obviously, there is nothing that can stop someone who is dead set on causing harm to many people; but, it seems often times when school shootings happen it is because of people feel outcast or ostracized or did not have a firm grasp of positive ways to voice disappointment and discouragement. If we somehow find a way to teach young young children to voice their feelings and provide them with positive outlets for these emotions I think we will have headed one step in the right direction. Again, some people just want to complain and not do anything about it, and unfortunately, on occasion these people do drastic and inappropriate things. In my opinion, if you don't have any suggestions to offer then you are not justified in complaining.

xvart.

edit: oooh, Andrew, putting quotes inside of quotes! Must have taken some extra typing, unless you have some sweet admin abilities. lol.

maybe you dont quite understand why people are offended. maybe we should cover how they maximze there "kill", lol you digust me.

I win.

This thread is in bad taste and it's pointless. That said I think it's stupid not offensive, not to me, but I realize how others would be.

Also let's realize that it's coming from a 13 year old so he's still developing social skills, not to sound condescending.

... Columbine was barely 8 years ago, and now the Virginia Tech, obviously it's speeding up, something needs to be done, ideas?

Ideas:

1) Teach your children well (CSN)
2) Required reading for high schoolers:
"The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" (D. Millman)
"Ishmael" (D. Quinn)
3) Study history and learn that terrible tragedies such as this one have been happening for centuries.
4) Do at least one thing each day to help build community -- meet a neighbor, help a stranger, plant a tree, whatever.

Back