What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did happen??

Or putting a CHEVY in a FORD.... although that would increase its value, dependablity, speed.... see bro every once in awhile I can chime in..... although in never seems to be about plants ???

Heh. It's a family affair!

xvart.

I'm not trying to buy anything from over the forums. I'm trying to find the site so I can look at what they have. What is the major problem with that? If I decided that I do want to buy anything it's not like I'm going to go and say "hey I just bought this from so and so for this much, you all should do the same." But I guess there really is no freedom of speech here like I have been told my people who no longer use this forum. You have to buy from the ones who run it even when you see they don't have what you want.

Nevermind that I have found the website.

I'm not trying to buy anything from over the forums. I'm trying to find the site so I can look at what they have. What is the major problem with that? If I decided that I do want to buy anything it's not like I'm going to go and say "hey I just bought this from so and so for this much, you all should do the same." But I guess there really is no freedom of speech here like I have been told my people who no longer use this forum. You have to buy from the ones who run it even when you see they don't have what you want.

It's quite easy to talk about other vendors and competing nurseries through private messaging. Quite simply, I have asked people where they have bought certain plants via pm's. If anything, it doesn't clog up threads with those small messages and responses anyway. I think saying you have no freedom of speech here is just a tad extremist. There were a lot of joke analogies made, but they do hold some truthful weight to them.

xvart.

I'm not even trying to talk about the vendors. How am I going to find something out if I can't post it? Do I have to just PM any random person and ask if they know what's going on with a certain website?

Hi Ron.. LOL

JMurphy97- use the same "code" that has been told to be used here... Go to the trade forum and post "I'm looking for etc etc to trade. Please PM me." and people will pm you if they have one, and yes, where to get one if known. This forum has always been these rules. Nothing is different. But to have CP suppliers listed all over a forum that is supported by another supplier is just dumb. And that's what will happen with "I'm looking for" or "What's wrong with this person's web site?" Newbies to the hobby come in.. see these URLs and click on them. Those single VFTs add up over time...... It seems simple and obvious to me. ???

Andrew

Edit: Here is rule #3 from the rules:

3. No sales or advertisements; trades/give-aways only are allowed. Some sales ads MAY be allowed under special circumstances; please contact site administrator, Adnedarn (Andrew), to ask permission to post personal/commercial site links or ads. There is no restriction on trades or sales conducted privately via Private Messages (PMs). We do not monitor PMs. Advertising would include talking about or giving URLS to other CP sellers.

If we did not have freedom of speech here the thread "School Shootings " would be dead long ago. That it still exists says ALOT about how tolerent the moderators are.

You have to buy from the ones who run it even when you see they don't have what you want.

You know thats not true. Many of us never bought from Petflytrap when this forum was owned by them.

You're beating a dead horse here. It's done. I've found what I want so I won't post any more about it.

Found one outside of the one I offered you if I had any left? Good I'm glad you found it. Have a good week. It's HUMP DAY!!!

Andrew

You have to buy from the ones who run it even when you see they don't have what you want.<!-- / message -->

I don't recall seeing anything anywhere that said "you HAVE to buy plants from here." ???

Mainly its a just a COURTESY to the forum owner. That's all. No biggie. Everybody here buys plants from a number of sources. No one nursery meets all needs.

Its just NICE to support any business that supports this forum whenever you can. I am looking forward to Andrew's business getting off the ground and hope he has great success. :)

You're beating a dead horse here. It's done. I've found what I want so I won't post any more about it.

If you didnt want your previous post to be responded to then you shouldnt have made it a question

I don't want to start a fight or anything but I've been here since Feb of 2005 and I remember these same basic rules in effect all along :)

This is correct.:) Its posted in the forums rules which most people don't read...and then get upset when something they post is "corrected".

Because these forums have always been supported by a business, its just courtesy not to discuss competing businesses. However, that is NOT to say members HAVE to buy from the related business. Just do it in a way that is courteous to the forum owner.

And if anyone thinks posts/topics aren't edited according to various rules on EVERY forum, not just CP ones, you are mistaken. Only unmoderated boards go "uncensored." There is mention about "censorship" in the rules as well.

Democracy here and on all moderated forums goes as far as what's good for the memberhip as a whole. The vast majority of members understand this. Its considered a "family site" and therefore we have to use some discretion when it comes to "freedom of speech."

No one nursery meets all needs.

Wouldn't that be nice if one did, though! Talk about a monopoly.

xvart.

edit: PAK posted when I did, so I felt obligated to add this:

And if anyone thinks posts/topics aren't edited according to various rules on EVERY forum, not just CP ones, you are mistaken. Only unmoderated boards go "uncensored." There is mention about "censorship" in the rules as well.

So true. Check out Amazon's reviewer discussion board. I used to post there some, but the forum software/programming totally sucks, and it is unmoderated (for the most part). I think it's a mess. I for one think that moderated forums are the best because there is a level of accountability among all the members.

If we had 100% free speech this place would not be as nice as it is.

My opinion on this is, our hobby is NOT a big one. In America there are a handful of THE SAME nurseries that cater to us, it's not like someone knows about a super-secret CP nursery that has 20 N. edwardsiana and you're going to miss out on their 50% off sale because joe-rulebreaker wasn't allowed to talk about it.

If you want to go outside the country to source plants, then there are the big 3 that we all know about. I won't mention them but we ALL know who they are and if you don't you're a newb and probably shouldn't be buying THOSE plants at the stage you are at now.

Back