What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woodpecker!

I was just outside looking for ants (heh heh....), and I heard this lil woodpecker in our old dead-ish tree pecking at it. I had my camera with me, so I quickly took some pics (which explains the bad quality, I took them as fast as I could).

DSCN3576.jpg

dscn3577.jpg

Anyone know what kind it is?

-Ben

Female Downy woodpecker?

looks just like the one z5guy id'ed for me in this post... i'd go with female downy too.

Thanks!

But after research on wiki...

You sure it's not this guy? > Hairy Woodpecker It's difficult to say since they don't give sizes of the birds.

EDIT THINGY: Heh, I don't like reading apparently. It says that the hairy woodpecker has a longer bill compared to the size of its head, and mine didn't have a long bill. So female downy it is.

-Ben

That's a pretty woodpecker!

It's definitely a downy. Downies are small birds w/ short beaks and tend to look a little "plump". Hairies are blue-jay sized with longer beaks. It's female because it doesn't have the red splotch on its head. We've had many of them visit our window feeders. Downies are also more social and will frequent a window feeder more than a hairy although they will on occasion.

I remember one time when a downy male chased off much larger hairy male. It was pretty awesome to watch.

Back