What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow. That's a lot of statistics to soak in. I know you worked hard on that. And its a MUCH better post than the other ones. :p

However...it doesn't change my mind on gun control. The infamous "right to bear arms" that was instituted back in colonial times just doesn't appy to today. We have all manner of military groups to protect the country as a whole, some of whom are called to duty during times of crisis (assorted national disasters) to protect citizens as well as in wars.

I always hear "I have a right to protect myself, my family and my property." I know a lot of people who have guns and I don't know one single person who has EVER had to use it to shoot someone to save themselves or family member. I know that's not an official statistic, but I still think the ratio of number of guns used to commit crimes vs. instances where a gun saved a life in a threatening situation is waaaaaay out of balance. Let's say I owned a gun and had it safely put away as one should. I'm at the kitchen washing dishes with my back door open because its a nice day (as it usually is). All of a sudden someone walks through my back door and points a gun at me. What good is my gun going to do me? Do I tell the perpetrator "Hold on a second while I go get my gun."?? For a weapon to be effective as protection, you'd have to have it on your person and loaded 24/7. So you want everybody walking around with loaded guns on their person? All to easy to use it when someone is enraged or alcohol fogs judgements.

I think also this is very different culture we live in. People might scoff at this, but we are producing generations of youth that grew up spending hours and hours playing video games, the vast majority of which are based on violence (guns, shootings, etc.). I can't quote the exact statistic but just a couple of days ago I saw a report by a psychologist that stated EVERY study on that subject revealed that kids that played a lot of violent video games displayed increased aggression as well as a decreased sensitivity in regards to death and violence. It is beyond me how anyone can think kids can play these types of games for hours over many years and NOT have it influence them in a negative way. (And before anybody says anything, I'm not saying EVERYONE who played video games is going to be a killer).

Then you have all the accidental deaths. Everyone I know swears their guns are locked safely away from children. But kids get accidently shot every day.

Rattler, I'm sure you know all the safety laws and you are very careful and respectful of your weapons. But just because YOU are, doesn't mean every gun owner out there is as good about that as you are. There is no "right to bear arms" that means so much to me its worth the life of all the children that die by accidental gun shots every year. The fact is some people look at guns like its a book or a vase. They leave them out on tables, they stick them under mattresses (and think its safe from a child!), they tuck 'em in a drawer. Little kids explore. They find. They shoot.

Then you got your nutcases. With dr./patient privilege laws, there's no way to know who's mentally able to SAFELY own a gun and who's not. And so there was Cho. And many, many other mass killers. And individual killers. And drug dealers getting revenge, and gang members defending turf. There are thousands of people out there who don't own a gun so they can shoot a deer for meat during the winter. They own it to kill people for any number of stupid reasons.

I can see no reason anyone NEEDS to own assault rifles/guns, machine guns, etc. WHY would ANYONE need a machine gun??

I saw one guy on TV vehemently saying that if those students and teachers had been allowed to carry weapons at the school, not so many people would have been killed at Tech. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Can you imagine have 25 teenagers in a classroom with guns? Teens don't always have the best judgement and I can just see the bodies falling as tempers flare over a girl or someone's had a few too many beers and get belligerent.

Self defense is just a poor reason to allow MILLIONS of guns into the hands of anybody who wants one. Too many people are accidently hurt or deliberately killed by guns. Its one thing to have A gun to hunt for food or to kill a cougar that might come to your back door. But I think "its my right" is a poor reason to allow guns to proliferate in the hands of millions of people.

I don't have a gun. I don't want a gun. I'll never have a gun. Its just an instrument of death and destruction s far as I'm concerned.

A survey I saw on TV yesterday showed the majority in the country wanted more gun control (I think it was 43%). I think it was only 11% who wanted less control.

:0o: Wow... Rattler...you should have written my Junior research paper last year man ;)

-Gabe

Oh God I love Grand Theft Auto and I have to admit I'm desensitized. Or it could be because I want the news every day.

PAK, thanks for the comments, please keep in mind i twisted my knee working out in the yard today and im a lil drugged up so forgive me if i have to restate something later

I know that's not an official statistic, but I still think the ratio of number of guns used to commit crimes vs. instances where a gun saved a life in a threatening situation is waaaaaay out of balance.

i dont know statistics for "saving someones life"................however studies of the number of crimes that have be stopped by Joe Citizen with a firearm have been done by most every pro and anti gun group, do to prejudices and variances in how the data was collected: lowball is 600,000 per year the high end is 6 million per year. truth is prolly somewhere in the middle. thats the best answer i can give you on that.

But kids get accidently shot every day.
only quick stats i can find you are for 1995
fatal accidents for Children 14 and Under

Motor Vehicles 3,059
Drownings 1,024
Fires 883
Choking 213
Firearm 181 (2.7% of fatal accidents)
Falls 127
Poisonings 80
i also found that fatal gun accidents involving children (aged 0-14) also fell significantly, from 495 in 1975, to under 250 in 1995.

a child is far more likely to be murdered by their parent that accidentally accidentally be shot by a firearm.

A survey I saw on TV yesterday showed the majority in the country wanted more gun control (I think it was 43%). I think it was only 11% who wanted less control.

do you have any clue how many of those ive seen this week? ive seen them all from showing the above to the the exact opposite and everything in between.................please tell me your smarter than to use a damn TV poll for data. the ppl who make these polls know what the answer is going to be before they even start the poll they word the questions to get the answer they want

I think also this is very different culture we live in. People might scoff at this, but we are producing generations of youth that grew up spending hours and hours playing video games, the vast majority of which are based on violence (guns, shootings, etc.). I can't quote the exact statistic but just a couple of days ago I saw a report by a psychologist that stated EVERY study on that subject revealed that kids that played a lot of violent video games displayed increased aggression as well as a decreased sensitivity in regards to death and violence. It is beyond me how anyone can think kids can play these types of games for hours over many years and NOT have it influence them in a negative way.

you describe my brother....................infact hes across the street from me now at a friends on a marathon bloody video game session........he is normal and well adjusted. hes a football player, though he only joined cause he thought he needed exercise. he is in speach and drama and getting ready to perform in the school play here shortly. he is also a B student taking college prep classes as well as holding down a job. his friends are in the same boat.

That's it. We must outlaw motor vehicles and fire. It's as simple as that.

don't be silly clint, we should outlaw food and gravity.

by Rattler. as far as background checks, i was under the impression they were fairly inclusive
The backround check required by the State of Florida is very inclusive but it is subject to the same flaws that allowed the VT killer to purchase his firearms. He was a danger to himself and others, as determined by numerous people, including a LEO. This should have been reported to the Federal data base and he would not have been able to purchase the weapons.
As far as showing profiency, after my friend already had her permit, I had to instruct her on the safe handling of her 1911 frame .45. As you know, proper procedures in loading, shooting and clearing a semi auto are rather complicated and should be more thoroughly addressed before a permit is issued.
Our 10/20/life and CCW laws have definitely made life a little more miserable for criminals in Florida.
There is a large billboard along I-80 on the outskirts of Reno, NV reminding "tourists" that NV is a 10/20/life state. I wish we would do that on I-95 down here.
For those of you who are not familiar with this law...if you use a firearm in the commission of a felony – automatic 10 years in jail. Discharge the weapon – automatic 20 years. Kill or injure someone – Life.

i doubt anything short of going to a nanny state is going to prevent instances such as the VT shooter, you can thank the ACLU for that

well ive seen enough cases that i believe its not a right to defend yourself in the UK. ive seen enough cases that there is a distinct possibility for you going to jail for protecting your own family and property in the UK, much more so than here

Yeh, but since what you believed about A-u-s-t-r-a-l-i-a turned out to be incorrect, id like a opinion from someone living in the UK as well.

Yeh, but since what you believed about A-u-s-t-r-a-l-i-a turned out to be incorrect, id like a opinion from someone living in the UK as well.

he said he "felt" safe...................what does that mean? i "feel" safe walking through the town that had the highest murder rate per capita in the US some years ago, its 20 miles down the road from me. other ppl who do not live on the indian reservation that live just 30 or so miles off of it dont "feel" the same. i know a few, and laugh at them all the time, that refuse to unlock their doors or get out of the vehicle while on the reservation.................just cause you "feel" something doesnt make it right. i feel safe walking through the worst part of town here just like i did when i was a kid. others who even live in this town dont.............btw i also do all this walking un armed and im 100% white and look it............

I was refering to the banned pistol comment

Back