What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i'd like to know what everyone thinks on this...

ne3p

i think i planted them a little too close together
i'd like to know what everyone thinks on this...

i'm going to borneo in the summer, and whilst i'm there there's some chance i might be able to obtain some seeds.

firstly, does anyone know the rules for importing seeds into the UK? if they are too complex, i may well not bother.

secondly, is it ethically correct to import seeds of endangered species, noting that removing them from their home might be a bad idea, but also noting that the rainforest is diminishing rapidly?

Hah. What do you think you're going to try and sneak away with? N. rajah? N. clipeata, which only has about 15 plants in the wild?

lmao. Don't start kidding yourself and you just answered you own question when you said it might be a bad idea and the rain forest is diminishing. How old are you if I may ask? Smuggling endangered species is a mighty big goal for a kid who likes collecting bugs and sleepovers.

Almost anything you can want can be found online somewhere. Leave Borneo alone and read this:

http://www.cites.org/

People in the CP community are VERY protective. I'm really taken back that you'd even consider this. Take only pictures and leave only footprints.

To me, this is like asking if it’s okay to bring home some baby tiger cubs when I visit Southeast Asia. Seems like a rhetorical question to me. Needs no answer.

Yeah, just enjoy seeing CPs in the wild. Some of us only dream about having the opportunity to see plants in their native habitats in Borneo and such places. Just take a lot of pictures and show them off so the rest of us can be jealous of your trip.

Take only pictures and leave only footprints.

LOL. Clint, you sound like an after school special.

xvart.

I'm very wholesome.

Have you seen my pics of S. oreophila? It's a sticky. Now what if everyone knew where they were and we all stopped by and took a few seedpods, and then other people took a few plants, just a few won't hurt, right? Then more people take more seeds and more plants and pretty soon, they are gone. Combined with the erosion due to construction as we speak that threatens them.

Now look at some plants that have REALLY strict requirements and grow slowly, and everyone did the same thing. It would be worse dude. For some plants, it takes over a decade to get a decent sized plant, and that is not considered flowering sized. Don't even think about it.

Taking plants from the wild is a very gray area. It's OK sometimes with permission if you know what you are doing and follow the guidelines set up by the ICPS , but in this circumstance, don't even THINK about it. It's always good not to take anything unless you have a very good reason.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/statements/seedcollect.html

Don't do it. It would be very tempting to just grab some seeds but it kinda feels unethical to do so.

Have fun in Borneo though. I've been wanting to go there since I did my Anthropology project on the Headhunter's tribes and their tattoos.

If you really want to take home seeds, go find the local conservation authorities and ask them about it. As a tourist, you shouldn't just go grabbing whatever looks tempting. However, there are conservationists and botanists that know how to work within the laws and international standards, and they might be able to direct you to sources. Maybe you should plan on paying a visit to Borneo Exotics. Any species you're going to see out in the forest is undoubtedly in cultivation already; somebody took the seeds/plants/cuttings to get them started, so go find those people and ask them for freebies. Don't risk the health of the wild population. Going out and taking on your own sets a dangerous precedent.
~Joe

part of this is i wanted to see what your reactions would be. it certainly produced an interesting result.

i can be quite immature. i like causing debates/arguments because otherwise i get bored.

it was mostly a rhetorical question. i don't even know if the seasons in borneo would be applicable, and i probably wouldn't have the conditions or expertise to look after any plants from there anyway.

it's a bit like i was tempted to collect wild drosera seeds/cuttings when i found the plant, but didn't. it's always fun daydreaming though.

the age question is probably relevant to my first post. i used to be better at not giving away the whole i'm still young thing when i was 12, but i thought more about what i said on forums in those days, also, most people won't believe that a 12 year old kid read lord of the rings five years before. they therefore guess that you're older.

i'm currently 17.

No one likes a troll. If you do things just to cause arguments and upset people, you need to grow up.

a good point for life in general

You asked a worthwhile question, but it's poor form to needlessly provoke people. Unless you're OK with people having hostile or doubtful opinions of you, in which case it doesn't really matter how you behave towards others.
~Joe

i think part of the problem is i'm posting things whilst tired. my words are therefore fairly ill considered. the provocation was more a comment on my life in general. i tend to get bored very easily, which is partly why i am currently talking to people on a number of forums online. you are all quite helpful in alleviating my boredom.

also, if i say anything out of place, there's some chance that i also may not mean it. i'm not always very tactful, and i don't always have quite the normal emotional response to things. a good example is probably that i found the film 'the ring' hillarious, i was supprised that my friends didn't view it in the same light.

you are all quite helpful in alleviating my boredom.
That's quite rude... I feel used.

If you feel bored, you can always go outside and take a long walk. It always works for me.

don't you have friends outside this forum who can help you "alleviate" your boredom? are you not allowed to leave your house to go to the bookstore, nursery, or to the park?

i actually didn't mean to offend you by saying you stop me from being bored, and am therefore sorry. i always thought that was the purpose of social interaction.

i actually didn't mean to offend you by saying you stop me from being bored, and am therefore sorry. i always thought that was the purpose of social interaction.

The purpose of social interaction in not entertainment. You can enjoy it. Or in face-to-face discussions, you may not enjoy it, like me. The purpose of social interaction is to communicate with eachother. Communication is the exchange of information between individuals. When you give a seemingly serious question and dont mean it, just to see our reaction, thats not just communication, its also deception. People dont like to be deceived. Its not a good feeling. It may be entertaining to you but you made people get up in arms for no reason, and thats not fair to them.

Indeed.

Lay off ne3p. He's obviously blurting out random senseless crap he would figure was insulting if he wasn't so nervous and cornered.

Do NOT take things from the wild! I detest even ASKING to take things from the wild. If it's a new species, sure, take a few seed or a cutting or a plant if the population is big enough. But there is no new species. Don't sneak off a N. rajah destroying their habitat when there is little to be found. I brand ye "Pig Faced Poacher" if you take any seed, plant, or cutting. I love Barry Rice's term on that. Anyone who takes a plant is a pig faced poacher, anyone who kills an elephant is a pig faced poacher. The poachers should be poached!

We all love CP's in their wild habitat, and you must understand (or probably not, since you would consider such at thing!) that they need to be preserved. So that's why we got a little upset.

He's obviously blurting out random senseless crap he would figure was insulting if he wasn't so nervous and cornered.

drat. good point. most of the conversation really was defensive rubbish wasn't it?

i'm not used to being out argued that well, or even told off for that matter.

i have decided to concede defeat (and possibly even stupidity), and therefore to attempt to back down as graciously as is currently possible. in future i shall endeavour to think before i post.

Back