What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a paper wasp/hornet's nest

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Uh...what the title says. :) If anyone has one of these or finds one of these, I'd sure love to have it. I'll pay shipping to get it.

I'm looking for one the size of a head of lettuce or larger (larger is better). It doesn't matter if there are small tears in it but I don't want any man-made cuts (like a flat side from cutting off of a building). It would be ideal if it had a small branch or stick through the top (as they are sometimes found hanging on trees).

I know this is a long shot but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. These are very common in some areas. I never see them but maybe someone else here sees them all the time.

Oh...meant to say, obviously, I don't want one that has live bees in it. :D

There's a small paper wasp nest outside my bedroom door. It doesn't seem to be occupied, so I'm pretty sure I could detach it for you. It's almost the size of a tennis ball, with about seven cells inside as far as I can see. It's hanging from an overhang, so I would have to cut it down, but there are no flattened sides - it's just hanging from a little stem-like thing on top, and that's the part I'd have to cut. I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but I need to cut it down anyways before a new family of wasps starts using it for the summer.
~Joe

They aren't Bees :p they are WASPS lol.

I might have a couple but they are relatively small, Might I know what it is being used for?

Doesn't this belong in the trading forum? lol, PAK. Maybe I should tell a moderator.

xvart.

I know of a huge like basket ball sized gray-ish nest hanging from a tree. Dunno if it's still there, or how to get it down, but I spose I could somehow. It's been there since last year, so I'm sure the wasps are dead. It just hasn't fallen down yet.

-Ben

Alright xvart...I'm putting you on my "list." :slap: lol Actually I did think about that but I figured this would reach more people. :-P-:

Seedjar...although that's too small for my original purpose...I might have a use for that as well. I'd be interested in it if you wouldn't mind the trouble of mailing it to me. I don't have anything to trade plantwise but I can pay the shipping. I just need for it to be intact and not squished up or anything.

Ben...if its a paper wasp nest or hornet's nest, I'd love to have it. That's a good size. But only if its not difficult to retrieve. Don't want you falling out of a tree or anything. lol It also needs to be relatively good condition, not falling apart. IF there is a branch or something going through it, I'd like part of that too...just enough that there is a piece sticking out of each side. Just let me know if its do-able.

My purpose? Well, I plan to use it as "camo" for a cache container. :D I'm going to cut a hole into it and insert a small container it in and hang it in a tree. IF there is a branch through it, I will use those to attach it to another tree branch. I'm not sure this will work but I'm pretty sure it will. I've been formulating this idea for a while now.

I mean, who would look for a cache in a wasp's nest?? :devil:

I'll be sure to set it aside for you when I knock mine down. I should be able to ship next week - I'll PM you when it's ready.
~Joe

Leave it to a woman to make things complicated !:poke:

It would be funnier if it still had live bees in it :)

Back