What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two new additions

Hours after telling my wife I had enough plants I couldn't resist picking these two up while we were at a local nursery.

Unlabeled
img3165io0.jpg

Labeled "Dana's Delight"
img3166ae8.jpg

The rest of the gang
img3164ab0.jpg

Wow, the VFT has a really nice tan!

I thought so too. The others around it seemed to vary in color but this one had the most red on the traps by far. I'm not sure if its different or just happened to get a bit more sun. Should I pull those black traps off?

Leave 'em there or snip/pinch 'em off. I usually snip 'em off because they tend to get mold/fungus.

Hours after announcing since I am a beginner grower and should slow down I bought a ton of Sarracenia.

Really, you can't say you are going to stop. It's like saying "I'm gonna stop smoking" right here right now.

By the way, that pot you have those D. adelae in

OMG! I have those EXACT same pots. Do you get them from Wal-Mart too? Lol!

Nice Drosera too. I can't get a dewy Drosera, no matter how hard I try, no matter how much money I invest, no matter how many bones I snap, break, and no matter how many sleepless hours I get, I can't get dew on a Sundew.

:'(

haha, I believe that post was courtesy of ilbasso. The larger one with the Purpurea in the same style was a freebie I picked up somewhere. Nice pots.

Never had a problem with Drosera myself. I only have one shoplight above all my plants and they sit in the water trays for humidity. Room humidity is probably around 45%rh. I'm suprised most of this is still alive

I have a D. capensis in about 50 - 55% RH, and it was almost touching my growlight and it has only produced miniscule drops. I'd have to sell my soul for a dewy sundew.

Oops. Lagged. Bad. Sorry. Double. Post.

well I'm no expert but it may be the proximity to the light that is th eproblem. may want to try backing off a bit and see how it goes after about a week or two. my lights are about 20" off my plants

bellerophon said:
well I'm no expert but it may be the proximity to the light that is the problem. may want to try backing off a bit and see how it goes after about a week or two. my lights are about 20" off my plants
I was thinking the same thing. My adelae in in my terrarium with about 18" between the lights and plants, than again the humidity is also a constant 95%. Any your plants look great.

I hate to inform you of this, and of course I could be wrong, but I believe that you just bought poached plants.

Those plants look very similar to ones that a poacher in NC sales.

If you can will you please send me the name and address of the place that you bought them? I'd like to confirm what I suspect and send them a letter asking them to not make anymore purchases from this person.

I hate to inform you of this, and of course I could be wrong, but I believe that you just bought poached plants.

Those plants look very similar to ones that a poacher in NC sales.

If you can will you please send me the name and address of the place that you bought them? I'd like to confirm what I suspect and send them a letter asking them to not make anymore purchases from this person.

I'd be glad to post where I purchased the plants but I'm much more interested in why you've come to this conclusion.

Ozzy is probably right. The red pot is a "red flag", though of course you can't say its a certainty. The place we are thinking of absolutely field collects because they admit it. I had some email exchanges with them in the past. They see nothing wrong with what they are doing.

Of course, the nursery would need to confirm where they buy their plants to know if the same place for sure.

Well, it's their property. I mean.. it's not poaching if it's legal. Doesn't make it ethical but it's not illegal.

It's not one thing that makes me think these are from flytrap farms. It's a lot of things.

I used to buy hundreds of plants from him to sell, so I know his product.

First it's the red pot. If you look on the bottom of it, I'll bet it was made in Cleveland Oh.
Also I'm sure it had a clear plastic cup taped on. It had a white cup top that would normally go on Styrofoam coffee cups that has a hole cut in the middle to let the plant through but it'll keep the plant from becoming unpotted during shipping. Of course the store you bought it from could have removed all of that.

The sticker on the side also is exactly the same as he used.

The soil that he uses is 100% peat moss.

The plant is about the same size that he ships them at. He gets them from the wild treats them with root hormones to stimulates fast growth. He then grows them in a green house not only under full sun but with metal halide lights. The traps are deep red, as you would expect with that much light.

All this added up makes me believe that these plants are from Flytrap Farms.

Just because the word farm is in their name does not mean they grow the plants on their property. I know for a fact they get the plants from the wild.

darn...i bought a VFT a while a go...like january 06 and it was the exact same as you described Ozzy...
Alex

Hey, I just looked on their website and guess what, they sell Dana's delight.

You can't ignore all of these facts.

but...Dana's Delight is...a cultivar. its not like there is a stable population going around. or are you just trying to say that they sell DD and therefore supporting the possibility that they are from the same place.
Alex

They have a big green house, so they do grow and sell some plants that are not from the wild. But that doesn't change the fact that they do see poached plants. I would rather give my money to somebody that does not take plants from the wild.

Back