What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CFL Warning

I think this might be a little exaggerated. This is from GE's website:

What should I do if a CFL breaks?
Because there is such a small amount of mercury in CFLs, your greatest risk if a bulb breaks is getting cut from glass shards. Research indicates that there is no immediate health risk to you or your family should a bulb break and it's cleaned up properly. You can minimize any risks by following these proper clean-up and disposal guidelines:

* Sweep up—don't vacuum—all of the glass fragments and fine particles.
* Place broken pieces in a sealed plastic bag and wipe the area with a damp paper towel to pick up any stray shards of glass or fine particles. Put the used towel in the plastic bag as well.
* If weather permits, open windows to allow the room to ventilate.

http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/faq_compact.htm#breaks

hg_emissions.gif

Grat graph ChronoKiento,i dont want merury directly in my home, but then i again i have no way of knowing how much from power plants gets into my home. I just use them because they are cheaper in the long run.

This also goes to show how trustworthy Steven Milloy really is- sounds like his thoughts are not just alarmist, but also not worth the time it takes to read the article.

When industry dumps mercury into the environment, he says there's no research to show any sort of health effect. When conservation efforts implement a bulb that uses trace amounts of mercury, he starts talking about brain damage and calls it one of the most poisonous forms of pollution.

That's an incredible demonstration of rank hypocrisy.

I can't take the credit for those links. :p

you can take credit for posting them though, or can i give it to someone else? :-D

Ok then I take credit for posting them, but not finding them. :D

you can take credit for posting them though, or can i give it to someone else?

Well, you could always give it to me because I posted a link including that diagram first. :p lol!

Oh I didn't see it, you can have it then, lol.

Seems to pretty much reiterate the conclusions we came to here.

Thank you very much for this post Rattler.

Back