What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
I love making these topics, and, for some reason, they are popular.

Indeed, I'll probably get as much posts as I did on CPUK by doing this!

What was your first plant?

I ordered VFT Seeds before a Pinguicula primuliflora, but, the primuliflora arrived first. I was doing a science project on Butterworts and it sparked my passion for the plants I have now. The Pinguicula I had recently died, due to a fungus attack, but it was in such a pathetically horrible condition due to the awful seller (Hirtsgardens from eBay, BEWARE! HE SUCKS!) but it did flower before dieing on me. Sniff.

The VFT seeds that germinated I accidentally killed too, so, technically, I killed them all. I've also recently killed a Nepenthes somehow, even though the others next to it were fine. Shame.

I then bought a D. spatulata, from the same seller, the entire plant had TONS of thrips and whiteflies, so, I hate this seller even more. The plant was attacked by fungus and I only managed to save one plant. Who knows if it'll live.

Then again, some ROOTS are still alive from my old primuliflora I believe, who knows?

I then bought 3 Venus Flytraps bare root (the guy sent me four), one of them is doing good out of the lot, and I watch this one all the time. Then one that I don't watch but I peek at occasionally (they are all growing in the same pot -_- lol) has a lot of improvement, and is still alive.

I think the other two are suffering in the same pot somewhere. Hopefully the sun will help them recover.

I then bought a (according to eBay) Nepenthes ventricosa 'red' with a dead pitcher. It did great, kicked growth, then I fertilized it, then it stunted, puked out a weak leaf, and is slow. Crap. On the other hand, the same fertilizer has made my N. medusa rip its shirt off and go hulk in growth. I've given up on Nepenthes and Sundew though, so far I've been able to make them to grow tentacles without dew, and leafs without pitchers. Good for me.

Anyways, what was yours? And is it still alive today?

My first one was a N. bicalcarata, probably not the best choice but I wanted it. It's still alive now and doing good so I guess I didn't screw up that bad. After that I bought some D. spatulata, then N. Ampullaria, then D. madagascariensis and D. aledlae. All of which are still alive today.

My first CP was a collection, probably from the infamous nursery none shall speak of. That was ~1970 and it came with a little plastic greenhouse that I put in the window and, if they didn't die from incineration, the dank, disease-ridden conditions did them in. I do better now.

A Dionaea from ACE hardware lmao

TWECO....that was quite a start. You went straight for a big boy. Baptism by fire.

Wal-Mart VFT. :)

Local(ish) nursery VFT. ha

the one that started it all. S. 'Judith Hindle' it died the winter i got it. i got it in october '05
Alex

My first CP was a fred meyers VFT...

My first nepenthes was a ventricosa, first sundew = spatulata and capensis, first butterwort = x 'titan', first sarracenia = scarlet bell hybrid, first and only utric = sandersonii blue

mfh said:
TWECO....that was quite a start. You went straight for a big boy. Baptism by fire.
Yea I saw it and had to have it, did some reading found out it might not have been the best choice, but I ordered it anyway, my mind was set and I can be stubborn. Still hasn't gotten all that big yet, about 13" across after 1 1/2 years. But i just set up a new terrarium and it's really taking off.

Lol, it'll get about 6 feet across one day.

One day, soon approaching. Sadly I am going into the Navy next year so I'm probably going to have the agricultural science class in my school care for it since they have a HUGE green house. I just hope they'll be able to part with it when I get back.

Oh well good luck! I hope that's what you really want to do.

S. purpurea from a little mall stand.

It's still there too. ^^

The purp, however.. did not make it, lol.

I kept it healthy until the winter.. then it didn't make it. :/ That's how I lose ALL my sarrs.

Nepenthes chaniana x veitchii. Still alive and doing well.

A Nepenthes Spectabilis x Ventricosa, a Leucophylla Tarnok, a few typical VFTs, a cunefolia, a spatulata, Nidiformis, and an Intermedia. Only the Tarnok and Nep survived... :cry:

I have a bunch of Sarrs that I've invested money in. And Dionaea too. I hope not all of them die when winter come. I seem to be good at the watering thing (I don't fill the tray up every other day, I do it like 4 or 5 days, sometimes up to a week for plants like Ceph! And it's thriving so far.)

Where do you live NeciFiX? If it's anywhere near PA.. don't overwinter them outside. It WON'T WORK unless you put them in a cold frame or somewhere that it won't get anywhere below like...25 or so? I have yet to successfully overwinter a sarr here.. it really ticks me off. This winter I shall formulate a better plan.

I live in such a colder place.

Wisconsin!

Buh buh buh buh buh, I'm hatin' it.

Central too.

I plan to overwinter them outside for most of the winter except for 2.5 months (half of December, January, and February) the rest of the months are warm enough. They can go in the windowsill in winter.

Back