What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Go Baby Go!"

glider14

Always a newbie
AND THEY'ER OFF!

the Kentucky Derby is today! im not going(too expensive) but im watching it on TV. do you all get the station to watch it? the Queen of England is going to be there as well as many celebs. Larry Birkhead is also going to be there with his baby. hes a louisville resident now and lives near my moms work.

Alex

It looks like you're the only person at the intersection of the horse racing and CP universes.

I agree, we need more gambling junkies here.

i watched.... i just like horses :)

that was an impressive run from behind from Street Sense... hehehe you could tell how far behind he was at the end by the amount of dirt on him!

i found it kinda funny that Todd Pletcher, a trainer who had 5 horses entered, STILL didn't win, or even place (he's now 0 for 19 in his training career i believe).

think we have a Triple Crown contender? i dunno... it was a pretty good field, somebody's going to give Street Sense a run for his money at the Preakness, at the very least.

Wouldn't it be fun if the queen was a compulsive gambling addict? That would be great. I'd like to see her pawn her crown.

If you ever need a good laugh, just watch to see the women wearing the stupid hats.

:crazy:

I watched it, I even picked the winner and I have no experience with horse racing :-D Gooooo Street Sense!

haha. we went to a party last night. it was great! i got to be designated driver...already! yay! although i couldnt pass up a sip of my dads locally famous Mint Julip. yummm. i picked the winner and i got 40 bucks out of it :D good ol' lucky number 7 :D
Alex

I had a roommate from Kentucky who made mint juleps every Derby Saturday. I thought they were about the most heinous thing I ever tasted. Every year I'd try another; hope springs eternal. But I'd go right back to beer or whatever. I don't like sweet drinks.

any alcoholic drink w/ mint in it is a bad idea. Mojito...yuck.
Beer me.

my dad makes his from scratch. and its seriously WAY less sweet than you think one would be. its almost 2:2 ratio of the syrup and Maker's Mark bourbon. it may have a little more syrup though. so its pretty strong. my dad says the more sugar you put in past the "perfect point" the less enjoyable it is.
PK: dunno if you know or not. but mint julips just have a sprig of mint in the cup.. like celery in a Bloody Mary.

Alex

God.... V8 and vegetables are nasty enough but add alcohol? What is wrong with people?

I saw the race. It was a good race. I love horses--they are the most beautiful animal on the planet. I've never had a mint julep although I grew up picking fresh mint for my iced tea in the summer.

The Queen was here in Richmond before she went to Kentucky. She came over for the big hoopla in Jamestown for the 400th Anniversary. They've been planning for this for years. I didn't even know she was coming to Richmond. I heard downtown was a mess with streets blocked off and all that. She spoke at the Capitol and was nice to offer condolences to VA Tech.

As for hats, I heard they needed an entire truck just for the Queen's hats. "Ladies" are always supposed to wear hats in public. :)

Looking forward to the Preakness and Belmont. Hope springs eternal for another Triple Crown winner but its a difficult task.

The Queen said "Prince Phillip and me" instead of "Prince Phillip and I" :)

Back