What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wasp Photos

Awesome! I really like the last one. Good focus and the contrast in colours catches your eyes.

Wasps scare me lol...but the photos are pretty cool... I really hope you were using the zoom feature on the camera to get that close...

Fantastic photos....but I personally hate wasps. Eww!!!!! Lol :p

Can't you get any closer? I think the 4th is a bald faced hornet, which is what makes those big nests hanging in trees.

the last one could be a bald-faced hornet. i remember them having a pale color. have any of you all seen a Cicada Killer wasp.....scary. one was stalking me last summer.
Alex

I've never seen anything like the last one. I've always hated wasps and bees, too. I remember when I was in sixth grade and I wanted to buy this book from the school book order thingy but my mom said it was too mature for me (it was about a serial killer or something like that) so I bought a book about terrible disasters that have occured throughout history. It included the Hindenburg and the plight of the killer bees. Needless to say reading about killer bees was more scary than the serial killer whatever book.

xvart.

I love nature, though it should be rated R.

Thanks, No i just set it on macro and took off, i had them in a plastic jar except for the last one, But if it had stung me i would have killed it, plain and simple. I think im probably going to ship the Bald face to a guy who wants reproductives. I wish I could keep her though!

I love wasps/bees/hornets/ants!

Out here in California we get these wasps called tarantula hawks. they have a metallic blue body with bright orange wings, and they get like 3 inches long. They have the most powerful sting of all the wasps, and they do hunt tarantulas. I caught one last summer. Scary buggers.

Out here in California we get these wasps called tarantula hawks. they have a metallic blue body with bright orange wings, and they get like 3 inches long. They have the most powerful sting of all the wasps, and they do hunt tarantulas. I caught one last summer. Scary buggers.
hunt, kill, and use the dead bodies for the next generation. my cousin brought one back in a jar from last summer when he went to arizona. it was one freaky wasp. my brother got stung by one of those common red-brown wasps(pics 1 2 and 3) on the eyelid. wasnt a very pretty sight (or sound!) i like bees! they make our gardens and stuff fruit! have you all heard of the massive blight of bees across the US!!?
Alex

yea glider, i keep bees ive heard about it.

I found out the Baldface Wasp is just a first generation worker.

poo.

Who in their right mind would keep a nest of baldfaced hornets. :down: Ahh who am I kidding, I am trying to keep colonies of ants.:blush:

Too bad I can't have a camera at work .. I spray a mold prevention chemical on new contruction framework. Weather's starting to warm up and they love it inside houses still being built. While the chemical I have to spray is pretty much harmless to me (and possibly only while it's still wet), it's lethal to any bug I've come across.

Unfortunately enough for the wasps/bees/etc, I can't stop spraying and wait for them (large gas powered chemical fogger). It doesn't kill them instantly, so they usually come after me and I have to put 'em down, lol. Too bad I can't take some sarrs to work with me, lol

Wow cool pics.

yea i saw a video of a guy holding one, arent they preaty docile when they have been seperated from their hive for a while? Cute little buggers.

They have some neat Blue Bumble Bee's in Australia, I'll have to find the site. But The Whole wasp a and bumble bee familys are amazing lol.

Why wouldnt you want to keep any though, if you can devise a set up that is safe for every one then why not? I would. Then Again I keep carnivours plants. ;)

I love Wasp's.. I think they're cool. But gettin stung by one feels like you got hit by a board with a nail in it full force!

Seen an ol' nature program a long time ago where Wasp's invaded a Bee-Hive. It was crazy! Made it look like a war and at the end there was dead bugs everywhere like a battlefield..

Back