What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun control

This is an example of proper gun control.
The owner of the jewelry store was not charged.
The perpetrators will be charged with armed robbery and discharging a firearm during commission of a felony. That is automatic life in prision…if they live.
The store is five blocks from my place. Sounds like a safe place to buy Jewelry.
Good shooting Mr. Villalta.

http://www.local10.com/news/13291867/detail.html

Av8tor1, that is one old lady that I never went to meet, lol.

It's hard to praise someone that's quick to the draw for some reason.. but if someone pulls a gun on me and they seem serious.. I'd do the same.. Quick shots somewhere that will incapacitate them in some way. I'd try not to kill them though. x_x I mean right between the eyes, I'd think he'd have been dead on the spot. Must've been a small gun I guess.

I'd try not to kill them though

legally, if you use a gun in self defence and wind up killing them you dont say anything like that.....you dont "try not to kill them" you dont "shoot to wound" you dont "shoot to kill" you SHOOT TO STOP..........you keep pulling the trigger till they quit giving you the feeling they are still trying to cause you harm. you dont shoot someone once they hit the ground, you dont try to shoot them in the leg to wound them.....you aim for center mass and keep pulling the trigger till they quit trying to hurt you..........anything other than this will land you in a world of hurt in the court room.................just FYI

In the moment where you have no time to think.. that's kinda what anyone would do.. just shoot and shoot until you feel the danger has passed. Instinct is what'll drive you in a situation that requires quick thinking in dire circumstances.

I was just talking hypothetically. I wouldn't WANT to kill someone.

If you kill someone, even if you have to, and you feel absolutely no remorse not even a tiny bit.. then something is wrong with you.. I think if I were put in a position where I'd have to kill someone, the only way I WOULDN'T feel any remorse is if it was the most powerful hatred I'd ever experienced for another human being. I really don't think I've ever gotten close to that though. :p

Chrono...........i understand your statement was hypothetical im just telling you what i know........with few extenuating circumstances people do not generally feel the need to kill other ppl.......alot of times legally the line is drawn between self defense and something worse......alot of times this happens due to a time factor, with some ppl what has happened is after the attacker is basically down for the count, on the ground, no longer a threat the fear/panic starts wearing off and anger/rage kicks in.........then they reload and "finish off" the attacker..........when you cross this line you go from self defense to murder.......

legally, giving a statement saying you were shooting to wound or shooting to kill can get you into some tricky situations. should the worst ever happen and you are forced to fire a gun at a person your only ever looking to make the attack stop..........you are shooting the person to stop them from harming you, your not intentionally trying to just wound or flat out kill them you are looking to make the danger to yourself stop, nothing more, nothing less................

Ha.. yeah I can understand it being hard to get away with killing someone with no consequences.. that's a tricky situation there.

And that is why I am glad the chances of that happening to me are pretty low.

In Texas if someone breaks into your home, or they are on your property after 9pm (though i heard they just recently changed it to sundown) and you shoot and kill them, there are more or less no consqeunces.

Deadly Force in Defense of Person

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another if he would be justified in using force under Section 9.31 of the statute when and to the degree he reasonable believes that deadly force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force, if a reasonable person in the same situation would have not retreated. The use of deadly force is also justified to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, rape or robbery."

and:

Deadly Force to Protect Property

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to pervent the other who is fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, or theft during the nighttime, from escaping with the property and he reasonable believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other means; or, the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the property would expose him or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. (Nighttime is defined as the period 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.)"

and both of those fall under:
Reasonable Belief

"It is not necessary that there should be actual danger, as a person has the right to defend his life and person from apparent danger as fully and to the same extent as he would have were the danger real, as it reasonably appeared to him from his standpoint at the time."

"In fact, Sec 9.31(a) [of the Penal Code] expressly provides that a person is justified in using deadly force against another when and to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary."

While unfortunate for the criminal things turned out great for the store owner.

With ever job there are risks. when I go to work I know that any day I can be killed by an electric shock, burns, falls or even a nuclear blast. LOL The same things goes for other occupations. Getting a bullet right between the eyes is an occupational risk that every armed robber has accepted.

I really hope they survive so the store owner can sue them for the distress he suffered.

The only problem with trying to sue the guys is they are drug addicts and have no money.
Anyhoo...One of the perps expired yeaterday and the other is still listed in critical condition.

i think its funny when someone refers to people as "expiring"...as if they are a dairy product...

Back