What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boiling water

so i spend about $2.00/week for a gallon of distilled H2O.

If take tap water from the faucet and bring it up its boiling point, would that mean that all the impurities are gone? Can i use this type of water for the vfts?

that will not remove TDS (Total Disolved Solids), in fact it concentrates them by evaporating some of the pure water (steam) so the same amount of minerals is now in less water. Boiling is good for killing bacteria or something...

Distilled water is CATCHING that steam as you boil water, and having it condensate back into water... Because the minerals will stay where they are boiling. Hope that helps :)

You could look into a home RO (reverse osmosis) system though.

nope. it will actually concentrate the impurities because the water is evaporating. find out how "hard" your water is from your local water company. if its 100ppm or below you can use straight tap water. if not. then stay with the regular stuff. an alternative is to take your empty jugs of water and take them someplace like walmart that has one of those water filling stations. that is RO water and is perfect for CPs.
Alex

I think there is some confusion with people who have kept tropical fish and the concept of boiling water to remove Chlorine.

Can you set up plastic trash barrels and collect rainwater? That's what I do and fill up rinsed out gallon jugs of milk and water.

Be careful - hardness and TDS aren't the same. If you dissolve a lot of salt in some RO water, the TDS will be high, but the hardness will be zero. That's because hardness doesn't include monovalent cations such as Na. Water softeners just replace divalent cations like Ca & Mg with twice as many monovalent cations.

TDS meters don't actually measure TDS anyway; they measure conductance. The conductance is converted to TDS (or hardness) based on an assumed "normal" ratio of ions expected in water. You probably only need to worry about the difference between hardness & TDS if you're near the ocean, evaporite mineral deposits, or have a salt-contaminated water supply.

Boiling tap water is worse than using normal tap water.

Solid impurities cannot evaporate into the air.

The same process works with the sea - water vapour evaporates and forms clouds and condensation. The salt is left behind, which is why we don't have salty rain!

Back