What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ubuntu

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
So does anyone here have any experience with the Ubuntu operating system? I got the live boot CD and my bro has it on his hard drive. It's really nice; I'm considering putting it on my computer when I have my own. I'd really rather not get Vista if I can help it... oh who am I kidding, you have to if you want to do any good gaming. I don't like Microsoft....:censor:

I run ubuntu on my laptop and am hosting an website via apache on my desktop (which is running ubuntu server); and i love it... Microsoft crashed and i lost all my schoolwork half way thru the semester so i said screw it and i can honestly say i probably won't go back to microsoft... Ubuntu rules

I've been wanting to run some type of Linux on a partitioned part of my drive (y'know.. to test it) but I'm too lazy to partition my drive since I need a program to do it.

I've been wanting to run some type of Linux on a partitioned part of my drive (y'know.. to test it) but I'm too lazy to partition my drive since I need a program to do it.

I know that at least Fedora Core install allows you to partition from the CD/DVD. You can use a windows XP CD to do your partition work, but it's... suboptimal, we'll say. :p

Also, get ready for some pains in the butt if you ever need to reinstall windows. For some reason, windows likes to occupy the very start of the HDD it's on, so that causes some problems. In general the worst of it is that if you need to reinstall windows, to boot off of the install CD you need to unplug your HDD, then plug it back in at the right moment to even boot off of the CD. :-\

Whenever I do a fresh install, I know I'll spend about 5 minutes in linux getting things set up, and a few hours in windows getting everything to work. :-\

However, you can always just use a smaller, separate HDD for windows and avoid a lot of problems. Then on a larger drive you can have linux and a shared Fat 32 partition (assuming you aren't going to be trying to play ripped DVDs off of the drive or anything like that.)

I play with the live cd now and then it's excellent but lately I've REALLY been loving Linux Mint 'Bianca'! It even runs sund and videos immediately after boot up without getting codecs!

I ditched Windows 8 years ago, got fed up with it, I've been running Macs and Linux ever since.

Tom

The only reason we still run Windows is because my mom hasn't learned anything else, and I'm a big gamer and they don't make cross-platform PC games. Though, I was reading an article where this guy has assembled a team to work on game codes to make them cross-platform. When that happens... SO LONG WINDOWS!

The next machine we get will either be a Mac or Ubuntu or Fedora, but I'm not sure yet. My bro and I will have to go through and see which one would be the best idea.

The only reason we still run Windows is because my mom hasn't learned anything else, and I'm a big gamer and they don't make cross-platform PC games. Though, I was reading an article where this guy has assembled a team to work on game codes to make them cross-platform. When that happens... SO LONG WINDOWS!

The next machine we get will either be a Mac or Ubuntu or Fedora, but I'm not sure yet. My bro and I will have to go through and see which one would be the best idea.

Well, Mac's OSX is Unix based so you could play with that in addition to using the regular GUI of OSX. I run Ubuntu and Linux Mint of a Macbook sometimes just for fun. I've even ran both at the same time running "Parrallels" It let's you switch back and forth beween OSes!

Tom

Wine

A great number of windows based programs (including games) will run using Wine (windows emulation software); so you can check out some that run via wine instead of waiting for the programs to be actually ported to linux.

-Neal

Forgot about Wine!

Of coarse IF you really needed to run Windows you could also get an intel Mac and run it using bootcamp for those Windows programs you "just can't live without".

Tom

Back