What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jerry Falwell is dead

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    care
Mokele, thank you for pointing these things out to me. I have really not been influenced by Falwell and haven't known his thoughts on issues. I do not agree with everything he said, however biblical arguments can be made for judgment of sin. I still do not think it very tolerant of "tolerant people" to rejoice in someone else's harm because we disagree over"words" and beliefs. I was stepping in to defend another human being who has passed on from this life, I have said a few good things about him(his articulate speech, soft spokeness, etc.,) I have yet to hear anyone else say he had a redeeming quality. I find peoples emotions mask their logic. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Of COURSE he had a redeeming quality. He didn't have a twin.

Baddam-bam! Ok... one good thing....during his later years he did not support segregation. That's the best thing about him i could find.

Atleast Manson had a good movie about him lmao.

There's an advert for RealJock at the bottom. Gay sports and gay fitness for gay jocks, atheletes, and fitness buffs. I couldn't think of a better advert to have on Jerry's thread. Makes my eyes water at the thought of such comical irony.

Well I have some rugby to play.. that's it rugby. See ya in the showers, boys!

EDIT:! At the top is Love and Pride- Gay Jewelry. God bless you, Google with your word searching!

*Laughs until butt literally falls off*

First, I don't care what he, or anyone, believed. I care what he, and others, did/do, and what he did was make the world a worse place, spreading hatred and intolerance under the guise of faith.

Second, I don't buy this garbage about how he should be given a pass because he died. He was a vile excuse for a human being, always was. I'm supposed to ignore that just because he's worm-food now? Screw that. I will no besmirch my integrity by pretending he was something other than a Dominionist *******. And silence is the same as consent. Screw mercy, I prefer honesty.

A bad person is a bad person, regardless of whether their heart beats or not. Jerry Falwell was definitely a bad person.

You can say anything you like, I am not defending Falwell or asking you to give him a pass. I am not as quick as others to rejoice in anyone's death, Falwell's or Manson's for example. I don't see myself happy about anyone's death, I think Manson was lost and Falwell may have been, but I won't gloat.

I was certainly no Jerry Falwell fan and I believe he did more harm than good while on this earth. But the fact remains he had the right to say what he did.

However, I am wondering if the death of someone, say like, Mohammed Al Sadir (spelling?) would elicit the same negative response to the worthiness of his life on earth, or is it just politically correct to bash bad Christians but not bad Muslims?

Come on! You can't believe manson was a better person than Falwell. While I may not have agreed with everything Falwell stood for, he certainly had the right to state his views. Manson directly and personally caused harm to others because of his psychotic beliefs. How does the saying go..."The right to swing my fists ends where the other man's nose begins"?

I still do not think it very tolerant of "tolerant people" to rejoice in someone else's harm because we disagree over"words" and beliefs.

I agree wholeheartedly with that, zappafan. Death is something that should [not] be rejoiced in.

However, i have to repeatadly tell myself that with this Falwell man, who suggested that the terrorist attacks on september 11 were atleast partly done by the Homosexuals and Femmenists. Sigh. I will try not to think about it anymore.

Edit: that should be "Death is something that should not be rejoiced in, NOT "Death is something that should be rejoiced in"

Last edited:
Again I dont wish for the death of anyone, but I am glad he is gone because of the things he said.

Lauderdale - Do you Muqtada al-Sadr the Iraqi radical cleric. I am not familiar with a Mohammad al-Sadir though Muqtada's father was Mohammad Mohammad Sadeq al-Sadr though he is already dead. If it is Muqtada you are talking about not only would his death bring more rejoicing by many Americans, it has been called for by many. It would not surprise me if the US did try to kill him thats why he fled to Iran. I believe many would be happy with his death even though it would complicate things in Iraq greatly most do not think that far ahead. As for bashing extremist Muslims it happens everyday. Falwell himself bashed Muslims, all of them refusing to seperate out even the moderate and liberal Muslims. Its not hard to find Christians who are willing to say the only good Muslims is a dead Muslims, all Christians dont believe this but many do. Often times the bad Muslims like Osama Bin Laden are used for the example while bad Christians like Falwell are viewed as the exception, so not only is it more acceptable to bash evil Muslims it is almost expected that the entire Muslim world is to be represented by the bad ones while the Christian world is not viewed only by its bad seeds.

I saw glee over several deaths in the past few years, they just didn't happen to be famous televangelists, or be "white" for that matter

Just a quick point- isn't Charles Manson actually still alive?? A few p[osts make me think he died, but I don't recall hearing it..

Proceed!!

Yep. Still alive. Wasn't he up for parole a couple of years ago? Thank god the court didnt grant him parole/supervision.

Do you Muqtada al-Sadr the Iraqi radical cleric.
Yes! He is the person I was speaking of. As I mentioned, I was not sure of the correct spelling of his name. I do not understand why his death would "complicate" things in Iraq.

I also do not understand why his death would "complicate" things in Iraq.
THAT right there is why the US of A has NO BUSINESS being in that country :D
Back to Falwell perhaps?

Oh well. Another bible thumping hypocrite gone. Shrug....

I was debating whether to put my 2 cents worth in this topic, but thought I'd contribute by offering a few definitions and disclaimers.

The word, "Christian" has come to mean a variety of things to different people. The original definition, coming from the Bible, just simply refers to the people who followed the Christ (Jesus). Those were folks that put their faith in Him as Lord & Savior. A few hundred years later, when Rome adopted Christianity as the State religion, the Roman citizens were ipso-facto considered to be christians. This is not unlike what we have in America, where this country has been often referred to as a christian nation.

To a Jew or a Muslim, anyone who has any religious identification with a christian denomination, they are considered to be "christian". To many, but not all Americans who have a Protestant or Catholic affiliation, they consider themselves, to varying degrees, as christian. More than likely they are what is called, "christian in name only" or nominally christian, and not to be confused with those who call themselves, "Born Again".

And now to Mr. Falwell...Another way of looking at American christianity is that of the categories of "Liberal", "Moderate", and "Conservative". And the Conservatives can be categorized as being either Evangelicals or Fundamentalsists.

Fundamentalists tend to be much more conservative than the "Conservatives" and tend to see issues in terms of right or wrong. They also strongly see the justice side of an issue, far more than they see the compassionate or merciful side. It's like having a parent who says "no" a lot but without providing alternatives to that "no". They tend toward not only, "hating the sin", but strugling to NOT "hate the sinner". And that PO's a lot of people off. The "Liberals are quite the opposite - full of compassion, but far less willing to call something sin.

But the Bible, both Old & New Testament, is balanced. You can't have one without the other. Justice and mercy MUST work together in order to do any good. For all those people who see the O.T. as being reflective of an overwhelmingly angry God and the N.T. as being the opposite, better look more closely.

Getting back to Falwell, he is best characterized as being a Fundamentalist Christian, with that tendency to see things in "black & white", right & wrong, without much in the way of compassion. He was out of balance and that doesn't sit well with people. It doesn't sit well with "evangelicals", who see things more balanced.

I would say that Mr. Falwell represented an extreme and out of balance segment of Christianity. Is it any wonder that he angered a lot of people?

That's a good explanation, Jim. One could almost believe you get an education in religion every day at the kitchen table. But I'd add that it was Falwell's unholy mix of religion and politics that polarized people. When I first heard the term American Taliban five years ago, I assumed someone was describing Falwell, Robertson, etc. Only later did I realize the news was referring to some misguided American kid who had moved to Afghanistan. There are plenty of people with extreme religious views and, as long as they don't try to seize power and only spoon feed instead of force feed their views to everyone around them, most people are happy to know them.

I wouldn't say that the guy wasn't a real Christian, but on a personal level, he may be one that I wouldn't naturally gravitate toward. Probably anything to the left of him, politically and within the realm of Christianity, would struggle with him.

Funny thing is, you can find the same characteristics wherever you go - religiously, politically, the workplace,....

Some people seem to need boundaries, leaders, and having things strictly defined. And for all those people out there, there are those who are more than willing to provide those needs. And with that, it's a setup for abuse and extremism.

Back