What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slack Method?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Would you say that this is constitutes the Slack method - a pot within and resting upon a "Lowes cube of death"?

AF003601.jpg

Defying Death LOL

Wait so most lowes sell darlington? I may pick a few up if they are not too much and the just got them in so it does not croak on me. Same with some bassic drosera like adlee and some others that just arrived that will help me get a collection boost

A fresh shipment of plants are healthy and would do well, right off the bat. It's when they've been kicking around for weeks that they are risky.

Anyways, isn't this an example of a double pot?

Darlingtonia in Hawaii??? Do you live in the mountains? If not...good luck.

Yes, that's a double pot. The intention of the Slack potting method is to keep the upper roots and lower stem on the dry-ish side - conditions that Drosophyllum require. The root of the Drosophyllum is allowed to grow out of the smaller pot into the larger. Some people find it easier to control the watering in a small pot and then plant the pot and all into a larger pot when the Drosophyllum gets larger. The slighest root disturbance can be fatal to these plants. Many people grow Drosophyllum in single pots

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult294SlackPot.htm

Thanks, Warren. I speak from negative experience with pucshing my luck with a Drosphyllum seedling one too many times. I just bought a VFT and have it set up just like the Darlingtonia.

Okay, I'm confused.

Are we talking about Darlingtonia or Drosphyllum??

Heck, I wish my Cobra's looked even that good......

;)

The topic is potting methods actually :)

Darlingtonia in Hawaii??? Do you live in the mountains? If not...good luck.

I am moving to oregon in 12 days so I can grow them outside :banana2:

Back