What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

peat purification

As I mentioned in another post, I am getting ready to repot all of my pings and dews, since they are overrun by moss.
I know I read a post on how to kill all moss spores in peat by placing it in the microwave but I cannot find it.
Advice on how to do this, without setting my kitchen on fire would be greatly appreciated.

first thing you want to do before sterilization is rinse the peat very well.
The peat HAS to be wet when you put it in the microwave
How long in the microwave depends on how much peat you need to sterilize.
The couple of times I have done this I nuke it till it starts to boil-bubble-steam a lot.
Also, all this will probably just delay the moss from growing, because it will eventually start growing in the pots from spores released into the air by other mosses.
Peace,
Zero

A pointless exercise - the moss will just come back. It'd be easier to peel off the top layer and replace it with new peat.

Hmmm!
The peat HAS to be wet when you put it in the microwave.
Thanks for the tip. If I sterilize the peat and sand and clean the pots really well, it might work. I live 200' above sea level on the beach. Since the prevailing winds are easterly, the spores will have to blow all the way from Africa. That should take a while. :clap:

I live 200' above sea level on the beach. Since the prevailing winds are easterly, the spores will have to blow all the way from Africa. That should take a while. :clap:

I'm sure the CPers in Africa will thank you. Good luck with your endeavor. How much peat are you trying to sterilize?

xvart.

Hmmm! Thanks for the tip. If I sterilize the peat and sand and clean the pots really well, it might work. I live 200' above sea level on the beach. Since the prevailing winds are easterly, the spores will have to blow all the way from Africa. That should take a while. :clap:

right, because there are no moss spores in the 200 feet of land between the shore and you.. :suspect: :scratch: ;)

(I agree..totally pointless excercise..not worth the effort, it will accomplish nothing.)

Scot

scottychaos,
I am not sure I understand...or do you not understand my thinking...or you do understand it to be a pointless exercise? :-(
Please advise if further explanation is necessary.

Except for something like my 3 year old pigmy sundew pots, where just bumping the plant can send it to its demise, I just extricate the top layer of the media, every once in awhile and put a new layer of media in top, along with the plants. That's good for awhile.

Back