What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visit to Appalachicola National Forest

Yeah, today my family and I went to the beach, and on the way back my dad decided to take a trip through liberty county. First, we were driving down the road and all of a sudden I spotted a stand of Sarracenia flava and then before I knew it I was seeing literally hundreds of them. I was also surprized to see how dry it was out there, but the plants were still growing.

Here's a couple of (crappy)pics that don't do justice to the amount of plants that were out there as well as the amount of euphoria that I was feeling

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

here are a couple of pics of some stands up close. By the way, what type of S. flava do they look like to you?

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

here's a different variety

DSC00774.jpg

and here's a hybrid, my best guess would be S. flava x rosea

DSC00778.jpg

here's some D. capillaris, however there were tons of these things everywhere, you couldn't help but to accidentally step on them.

DSC00770.jpg

in another roadside ditch there were some of these little beauties

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

and then finally, whenever we were heading through Hosford I was able to get my dad to take me to the Hosford bog, however, I don't exactly think that I found it.
I did however find some S. leucophylla that were the most colorful ones that I have ever seen, as well that having the biggest pitcher openings for their size.

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

Nice. It is weird to see for the first time, how dry the topsoil can be.

it was very strange, especially because of the drought. And all of the Sphagnum moss was dead and crispy

I did however find some S. leucophylla that were the most colorful ones that I have ever seen, as well that having the biggest pitcher openings for their size.

Wow! Nice find. Quite a specimen there.

xvart.

I know!!!
If only it was on my property. Then I could wait till it had multiple growing points and registered it in the ICPS cultivar bank

see any wood carvings :D my uncle lives down there and makes these amazing wood carvings!! birds, mermaids, all types of things. i cant wait until the next time i go down there. i wanna see the CPs so bad! are you allowed to collect if you ask the staff and such? or do you need permits?
Alex

I'm not sure, but I'm sure that some CP law expert could chime in any time and alert us on this topic...........

Its a national forest. As far as I know collecting anything would be illegal. I'm not an expert in Florida collection permits, but I believe they will only approve them if you can document research or educational needs not simply you want to take some plants back to your home state. By the way, speaking of drought - we were about 20 inches of rain short of our average last year and are about 8 inches low so far this year- how about all you tourists bring an extra bottle of water when you come, pour it out your car window as you drive through the state and replenish our aquifer?

i guess that dosent apply to seeds though...right? MANY people have S. flava from Apalachicola (Liberty County) including me...
Alex

So, do one of you conservation types or "seed collectors" want to address this?

I'm sure that some CP law expert could chime in any time and alert us on this topic...........

*looks expectantly at the sky*

You should really collect only a percentage of the seeds in a pod and scatter the majority on the ground.

so next time i go down there. if i wanted some seeds i would take a FEW out of the pod, take the rest then scatter those about the landscape?
Alex

I believe the answer is no.

"LEGALLY PROTECTED LANDS

You should have permission of the property owner or responsible agency for all properties on which you collect plants. This includes:

Florida State Parks. Natural and cultural resources are protected on all Florida State Park lands and may not be removed without written permission. Collection of materials is only allowed for scientific and educational purposes under the Research/Collection Permit program.

National Parks. Permission is required to collect plants in U.S. National Parks. The U.S. National Park Service has created a Research Permit and Reporting System web site embedded in the Nature Net / Science sections. The site covers all National Park units in the United States.

National Forests (USDA, Forest Service). Permission is required to collect plants in National Forests. Applications are evaluated on a case-by-case basis in accordance with current policy and the potential biological impact of the collecting. Researchers should contact the respective forest district or the state national forest office for permit applications. The National Forests in Florida web page provides an overview of the four forests in the state (Apalachicola, Choctawhatchee, Ocala and Osceola) and contact information."

I know its a cliche, but what if the 84 million tourists to Florida each year took only a few seeds? There are many places to buy seeds or trade seeds, why wild collect?

I don't know the laws in Florida or the rules of National parks. I can only tell you the one state that I do know the law and that NC. In NC if remove a plant or seed without written permission, it is considered poaching. The penalty for poaching is $2000 fine and 6 months in jail for each offense. Each plant and each seed is considered a separate offense. I'm sure it's similar in Florida. If you think it's worth $2000 a seed then go ahead.

I think you'll agree that's it not worth it, so why don't you do the right thing and get a plant with location data. It's a lot cheaper.

i guess that dosent apply to seeds though...right? MANY people have S. flava from Apalachicola (Liberty County) including me...
Alex

Most of the seeds were taken years ago, when the are was full of wetlands and cp's. But now that 99% of our wetlands are now shopping malls and golf courses we need to leave what is left in the wild.

Wait until the upcoming NASC auction and then get all the plants you want.

thanks for clarifying. ill just look and not touch :D im excited for the auction. hopefully ill have a job by that time...and ill have the money to spend. if not ill just put up plants..
Alex

Back