What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indignation

Here's a story of why nice guys are so few.. because we always get walked on.. or perhaps I'm just too nice?

So it all started when I was told by a close friend (Morgan) about this new, small game store close to my house it was called Quarryville Game Time. Since those are not very common near my house.. I went, and was very drawn in by the fact that I were accepting Wii pre-orders which were VERY rare back then. Gamestop only took 20 at the time that it was being release. Morgan was going to pre-order a Wii there as well, cuz what gamer wouldn't?

Anyways.. I pre-ordered a Wii and The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess back in like October or something at Quarryville Game Time which is the WORST GAME STORE EVER. I was patient.. and I waited until January when I bought a Wii from Toys 'R Us the day after I came back from Disney just because they had one. It was awesome, me and Morgan actually got them at the same time. A couple days later I went in and told them that the $50 I put on the Wii should go with the $10 that I put towards Twilight Princess to just pay for that and wait to get it. At the same time, I took in the receipt for it as proof and she wrote my new phone number down on it, since I had gotten a new cell phone. I did not request a new receipt from her.. this was a mistake. So again.. I waited.. and kept calling. Then finally on my birthday I got a gift card to circuit city and just bought a copy of Twilight Princess. After that, I waited a couple days and called Quarryville Game Time. They were closed... so I left a message saying that I got a copy of Twilight Princess for my birthday and that I wanted to switch the pre-order to Super Paper Mario since I thought they might be able to actually GET a copy of that. Please note my EXTREME patience and UNLIMITED kindness that I was putting towards these people, just because they were just getting their business going and I would've felt guilty if I had just flat out canceled the order to get my money back. Well... I received no call back from the lady and just the other week I went into the store to finally get my money back. a 7 month wait for a game that came out 5-6 months ago is just too long and with TERRIBLE communication.. I just wanted out. So I went back.. and this was our conversation from memory.. I probably missed some parts but I was there for like 10 minutes.. I don't know I was just so MAD..just increasingly..maddening..

Me: Hey, I don't know if you remember me. I was one of the ones that pre-ordered a Wii back a while ago and then I switched it over to Twilight Princess.

Her: Do I remember you? (there was a sort of a weird tone in her voice here) Yeah you were with Morgan, right?

Me: Yeah, and I called a while ago to switch that pre-order over since you couldn't get any copy of Twilight Princess.

Her: Yeah I got that, but I didn't understand what you meant by it.

Me: What do you mean? I wanted to switch the money I put down on Twilight Princess to Super Paper Mario.

Her: But you already got Twilight Princess.

Me: Yes, but not from you, I got it for my birthday.

Her: No, you came in and got your copy of Twilight Princess. (She started to treat me like I was some thief at this point)

Me: ....ummm.. no I didn't.

Her: Yes, yeah you did, I remember.

Me: Umm.. I don't know where you're getting this information, but I haven't been back here since I switched the pre-order completely to Twilight Princess.

Her: *shrugs* Well?

[we went back and forth at this for a while]

Me: ....Well I did NOT.. NOT.. I can tell you for a FACT that I did NOT come here and get a copy of Twilight Princess from this store.. I waited and waited and was not even CALLED for a copy of Twilight Princess so I did not receive one. I know this.

Her: Well I know for a fact that YOU came in and got it.

Me: [ALMIGHTY fury brewing] I still HAVE my receipt from Circuit City, I could bring it to you like RIGHT NOW. I have PROOF.

Her: Well I have my wholesaler records. ....So what are you saying that we owe you in store credit..?

Me: I put 50 on the Wii and 10 on Twilight Princess, so $60 is what you owe me.

Her: *snide one-note laugh*

Me: Show me proof that you even GOT a copy of Twilight Princess.

Her: Well I'd have to look at my records.

Me: Okay, I want to see them. Show me those records.

Her: Okay.. *takes out a piece of paper* What's your number?

Me: *in disbelief that she couldn't even produce her records on the spot* (I told her my number)

Her: Okay. *staring at me with an annoying look*

Me: You call me when you have your records and I will come down and see them. *walks out of the store*

I should not have left.. should NOT have left, but I was SHAKING with just.. utter RAGE.. I SHOWED HER SO MUCH KINDNESS AND PATIENCE AND THIS IS HOW SHE REPAYS ME?! HOW DARE SHE! HOW.FREAKING..DARE..SHE!

I went to Morgan's work and told him about it.. we all hate her and her stupid FREAKING store now.. I just can't BELIEVE..how..how ..UGH...DAMMIT.

I will be calling her on Monday next week. Then we will move from there. Me, my Mom, and Morgan will be paying her a visit if this is not resolved over the phone.

I have never felt such a STRONG feeling of rage.. I was really just trembling with rage.. I have never been that mad before in my life.. just typing it is making me tremble with anger.. I just.. I feel SO.. VIOLATED.. and words cannot even EXPRESS what I feel! How DARE SHE accuse ME of trying to rip her off! I waited..SO long..SO LONG.. every time Morgan would tell me to back out of it.. I would just wait because I didn't want to feel guilty about canceling it and getting my money back... I always...ALWAYS.. put myself in the bad spot for other people.. and then.. I just get F%^#&# STOMPED ON.. WHY..people..I cannot.. even.. comprehend..HOW.. HOW people can DO THIS to other people?! HOW?! This is not the way humans are! The money? SCREW the money, I have come to terms with the loss of my money waaaay back at the like 3 month wait point.. that's not what this is about anymore.. this is about justice and just.. I just want her to HURT and feel like I do. I want to WIN this fight as proof that I'm the victim here. I need SOMETHING to happen to correct the injustice that has happened there.. I don't care what it is. If she gave me the money back, that would rock, but I would never EVER step foot in that store ever again.

I still..just..cannot.. understand how people can be like this?

On another note.. I apologize if there is any profanity here that I missed.. I originally wrote this for my myspace and I let whatever words that came to mind fly but.. really I'm sorry if any of it got through here.

I sympathize with you. I've been in positions where I got totally screwed by a company, too.

The best thing you can do is keep your receipts and keep CALM. If you get upset, then you look like the jerk. There's no reason to get upset. She is wrong, and you have proof that she owes you movey. She has no proof that you bought the game.

Walk in there with your parents and your receipts and get whatever it is you want. Keep calm. She'll be less likely to walk all over you if you a) keep your cool and b) bring your parents.

Rage about it all you want on your myspace, but keep cool in the store. Good luck!

I sympathize with you as well. I agree with Est (and you) that everyone needs to keep receipts on everything. I really dislike the attitude now that everything needs to be in writing and everyone needs documentation for the littlest things. I get tired of getting notorized letters written by parents outlining conversations I've had with their daughter or son. Doesn't good faith count for anything these days?

If anything, it sounds like this store is not a huge conglomeration like walmart or bestbuy and almost like a "mom and pop" store. I would think they would be happy that you are still trying to give them business by changing wii titles. That being said, it might be worthwhile to somehow get in with the owner and just explain what happened. I am sure that he or she would be more than happy to accommodate you switching titles and fixing this mistake. If anything, good personal customer service should be a good draw for their market.

I am so jealous of everyone with a wii and twilight princess. I don't play video games often anymore, but I was always a huge fan of the Zelda series. I'm so happy for Nintendo and the market share they are pulling in with this innovative console.

Good luck!

xvart.

Thanks for the support guys..

I understand that I have to keep calm in the store.. and I was for the most part. I was showing how I felt but I was not rude to her and I did not curse (since I don't normally curse in real life anyways).. but I was pretty close. I think I was mostly just caught off guard and just.. APPALLED I was shocked and sort of panicked. I was always afraid that me not having the receipt would be a problem but I figured (since she always appeared to be very nice and understanding) that she would understand and say like "No problem! I remember you." and be honest about it.. but this.. this is worse than I thought the worst case scenario would be.

When I go back.. I'll at least have someone to jump in and defend me occasionally. I always do better when I have friends/family with me.

Back